[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What books do you lie about reading? I've lied about having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: how-to-spot-a-liar[1].jpg (26 KB, 400x390) Image search: [Google]
how-to-spot-a-liar[1].jpg
26 KB, 400x390
What books do you lie about reading? I've lied about having read

- The Bible
- Ulysses
- Mason & Dixon
- Infinite Jest
- Symposium
- The New York Times in the morning (I just listen to NPR)
- All of Plato's dialogues
- Paradise Lost
- Don Quixote
- Gravity's Rainbow

And some more that I can't remember right now. I've never been called out either
>>
cause no one gives a shit

kill yoruself
>>
i don't even read i just come here to shitpost
my knowledge on literature comes from /lit/ memes
>>
>>7848733
>he hasn't read the Bible

You're really missing out on a lot of references. Oh wait, you don't read anyways, never mind.
>>
File: sneaky-girl-7808035[1].jpg (38 KB, 373x450) Image search: [Google]
sneaky-girl-7808035[1].jpg
38 KB, 373x450
>tfw I'm such an advanced liar that I actually lie about NOT having read books in order to fish for replies
>>
I've lied about reading like 4 books when I was 14. I've since read them. And I don't lie about reading books anymore because it's pretty juvenile.
>>
>>7848733
haha! I knew it!

I never lie about these things.
I hate classics but I keep reading them. Just to be sure. And also because I constantly fall for the bait, "masterpiece", "must read", "defined an era", "if you haven't read this you're a pleb".
And sometimes, there are nice surprises, like Proust, Kafka, Les Miz, or the first half of Crime and Punishment. The first five books of the Jewish Bible are interesting. Don Quixote is easy reading, funny sometimes.
I don't fall for sports car or smartphones, but I'm a big lit victim.

My next target is Ulysses, because the guys from Tiqqun named a theory after Bloom, I have to know this guy.
One day I'll have to read Homer, and the Divine Comedy. And Zola. And Balzac. Damn, it's endless. And Montaigne.
>>
>>7848739
Are you me?
>>
>>7848733
I read Ulysses when I was 18, in translation. I enjoyed it at the time but I don't remember much. Having recently read about the book I'm pretty sure most of it must have flown way above my teenage shitlord head. I feel like a fraud now to say I've read Ulysses. I'll have to get to it, properly get to it, but I want to read Portrait of the Artist first (I've since read Dubliners, in English of course).
>>
>>7848733
The Symposium is easy, fun, and funny. You should read it tonight, anon.
>>
File: pants on frie.jpg (8 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
pants on frie.jpg
8 KB, 320x240
>>7848733
Same list anon
Oh but wait, I've actually read some of them. Oh, so is that lying about lying? Or is it a half-truth? Is it meta, since it's partly not a lie?
>>
>>7848733
Frankenstein, war of the world's, and the time machine I claim to have read but only read children's illustrated classics as a child.
The oddesey and oedipus I claim to have read but only read excerpts in college and high school.
I've been strongly considering fixing this by actually reading these books, and will definitely do that for the oddesey.
>>
>>7850371
>the time machine
Why would anyone make a childrens' version of this? It's like 150 pages and really easy reading. Decent book though.
>>
>>7848749

What is your life even like? Do you understand other people? Can you recognize their emotions? Do your really feel more at peace the deeper you fall into the spectrum?
>>
>>7848733
Jesus do you read annything at all or do you just enjoy browsing Vietnamese imageboards for fruit peeling enthusiasts?
>>
i've never lied about reading a book. and i thought i was insecure...
>>
i pretended to have read plato when talking to this philosophy major girl i met. i made a joke about glaucon based on the joke in that one meme image and it worked pretty well
>>
>>7848733
to whom do you lie about that? are you trying to impress them or do they expect that you've read them and are embarrassed?

not that those are valid reasons, but I'm just trying to wrap my mind around this. it's because you're underage, right?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.