[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never read the book and I've only seen this clip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: a metaphor.gif (841 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
a metaphor.gif
841 KB, 500x282
I've never read the book and I've only seen this clip from the movie. Am I supposed to hate this character?
>>
>>7848233
No, you're just supposed to think he's pretentious.
>>
>>7848233
I thought there were aspects of the movie that were genuinely pretty good. But yeah, it's natural to hate most of it because chances are you aren't a 14-year-old girl.
>>
>>7848241
Am I really? I thought Mr. Green was trying to write a deep character? So this scene is really supposed to sound like bullshit?
>>
>>7848233
Worse, he's a Mary Sue. You're supposed to like him.
>>
why the fuck would you keep wasting your money on a metaphor?

I'm pretty sure this nigga smokes cigarettes but he just has that line in his backpocket in case he meets a qt that didn't like smokes.
>>
>>7848262
He's not really a Mary Sue per se, he doesn't really have any outstanding or meritorious talents. He certainly doesn't resolve the main source of conflict in the movie.
>>7848278
He puts the cigarette back in the cigarette case when he's done wanking.
>>
File: john green.jpg (96 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
john green.jpg
96 KB, 480x720
>>7848233
Redpill me on this guy quick. I already dislike him, but I want to hate him. It would be advantageous for me right now. Give me his "Greatest Hits" in Greentext form please.
>>
>>7848233
he is supposed to be a somewhat cool guy who opens your mind. the main character hooks up with him when her bf dies
>>
File: 345.jpg (40 KB, 397x452) Image search: [Google]
345.jpg
40 KB, 397x452
>>7848419
Hes just fun lovable John
>>
File: cam2013.jpg (104 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
cam2013.jpg
104 KB, 600x900
>>7848244
I didn't see the movie but I thought the book was enjoyable
>My spirit animal is a 14 year old girl
#notsorry
>>
/lit/ hates anything sincere and heartwarming.
>>
>>7848441
THIS PISSES ME OFF SO FUCKING MUCH. AN OCTOPUS WOULD NOT STICK TO A FUCKING WALL IF YOU THREW IT AGAINST IT BECAUSE ITS "SUCTION CUPS" ARE NOT STRONG OR NUMEROUS ENOUGH TO SUPPORT ITS ENTIRE GELATINOUS WEIGHT! WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU CHOP OFF FOUR OF AN OCTOPUS'S LIMBS ANYWAY? WHO THE FUCK WOULD DO THAT? IN FACT, WHO THE FUCK WOULD THROW A GODDAMNED OCTOPUS AGAINST A WALL TO SEE IF IT WOULD STICK? WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK? JESUS CHRIST I HATE THIS FAGGOT KEK SELF HATING PIECE OF SHIT I WISH HE WOULD CUT OFF THE PASTY LITTLE LIMBS HE DOES HAVE AND THROW HIS MANGLED BODY AGAINST A WALL. "OH, MAYBE YOU'RE A WORM, JOHN! WORMS DON'T HAVE ANY LIMBS, AND IF YOU THROW THEM AGAINST A WALL, THEY FALL THE FUCK BACK DOWN!" JESUS FUCK!
>>
>>7848526
stale pasta
>>
>>7848287
The term mary sue has been co-opted as a way to reference the growing trope of a character written specifically to be related to by the reader. In other words, a Bella Swan (the protagonist of Twilight for those of you with dignity and good fortune).
>>
>>7848419
That was a pretty entertaining image. This guy should stick to youtube.
>>
>>7848526
Hank why don't you try writing your own book
>>
File: 1454685835356.jpg (181 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1454685835356.jpg
181 KB, 1440x900
>>7848419
>>
>>7848788
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjMqMLZIt30

Here is a 10 min video on why you should hate this book and movie
>>
>>7848800
because I don't want to agree with teenagers?
>>
Can someone explain to me how the fuck it's a metaphor? What is the metaphor referring to? He puts fucking cigarettes in his mouth and doesn't light them in order to symbolically debase the power of his disease over him. I get it. But what's the metaphor? What two things is he implicitly comparing?
>>
>>7848233
>implying you ever will be this cool
>>
>>7848829
“It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing.”

Because the cigarette isn't literally a thing that will kill you
>>
>>7848419
>>7848441
>>7848526
ALSO, WHAT IS THE FUCKING OBSESSION WITH FUCKING TENTACLED CREATURES? WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF DISGUSTING PERVERSE OBSESSION DOES THIS FAGGOT HAVE WITH TENTACLES I BET HE WISHES HE WERE A FUCKING SQUID SO HE COULD FUCK HIS OWN ASSHOLE THE FUCKING FAGGOT PIECE OF SHIT WHAT THE FUCK JOHN GREEN YOU FUCKING CALAMARI LOVING FUCK! I HOPE HE GETS TENTACLE RAPED BY ONE OF HIS BELOVED OCTOPI WIELDING A GODDAMNED SET OF CUTCO KNIVES GODDAMNIT I HATE THIS PIECE OF SHIT GO DROWN IN THE FUCKING OCEAN FUCK!
>>
>>7848256
Yes it is.
http://fishingboatproceeds.tumblr.com/post/82907796974/ive-been-seeing-a-lot-of-people-talk-about-gus
>>
>>7848829
>>7848856
It's not a metaphor, its just not. Augustus is using the word wrong, Green wrote the character as pretentious on purpose.
>>
>>7848856
>>7848912
It's a symbol.
How many times are you told per day in Lit Theory class that language, as a symbolic representation of experience, is actually a metaphor for that experience?
>>
>>7848893
I hate all these people who haven't even read the book pretending they know all about it.

John Green was inspired by the ETA teens from Wallaces Infinite Jest and he tried to write his characters around "normal teens"

they aren't supposed to be incredibly smart and that, they are supposed to just represent what its like being a teen which all the many different personalities you get from them.

You could call Gus pretentious but its not supposed to be someone you actively hate for it, he is just a teen who deals with life in his own way
>>
>>7848829
I've only seen references to it, but I got the impression that the cigarette is a metaphor for cancer, or the way he treats the cigarette is a metaphor for how he treats cancer.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.