[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wittgenstein is not even that good. Give me some extensive proof
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: stupid.png (41 KB, 498x288) Image search: [Google]
stupid.png
41 KB, 498x288
Wittgenstein is not even that good. Give me some extensive proof of anything good that Wittgenstein wrote. I haven't found anything yet, he is intelligent but that isn't important at all.
>>
outside of the memeposting, where is an appropriate place to start with Wittgenstein?
>>
File: stupid.png (332 KB, 1602x640) Image search: [Google]
stupid.png
332 KB, 1602x640
>>7846302
Just give me something that's good. I need proof that he made any sort of progress.
>>
File: 1424301575120.png (549 KB, 500x682) Image search: [Google]
1424301575120.png
549 KB, 500x682
>>7846302
1. Ray Monk's The Duty of Genius
2. Ray Monk's How to Read Wittgenstein
3. Blue and Brown Books
4. Philosophical Investigations
>>
File: what2.png (25 KB, 555x287) Image search: [Google]
what2.png
25 KB, 555x287
Like what drugs is Witt on?
>>
File: what3.png (60 KB, 787x481) Image search: [Google]
what3.png
60 KB, 787x481
He almost convinced me something here but he is an idiot and ruined it.
>>
>>7846317
ty twigs
>>
So can anyone give me an example?
>>
>>7846395
Somewhere Wittgenstein says something about how his philosophy probably would not be of interest to anyone but a select number of people.
>>
>>7846400
I know that... but the people here consider him smart as where most people in my college think otherwise. I want to understand your side.
>>
>>7846409
I don't know what you want.
>I need proof that he made any sort of progress.
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>7846422
What did he discover about the world that was unheard of?

Most of the things he writes are just common facts that only idiots wouldn't understand such as properties of the 4th spacial dimension and he tries to understand what words are and ends up not really reaching a conclusion... like... what did he discover?
>>
File: 1413012168139.jpg (141 KB, 886x1024) Image search: [Google]
1413012168139.jpg
141 KB, 886x1024
>>7846409
Here, read this: http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/regulars/ray-monk-wittgenstein
>>
>>7846430 thanks.
>>
i agree op, wittgenstein is pretty bad, totally overhyped crap
>>
"I am seated in an office, surrounded by heads and bodies. My posture is consciously congruent to the shape of my hard chair. This is a cold room in University Administration, wood-walled, Remington-hung, double-windowed against the November heat, insulated from Administrative sounds by the reception area outside, at which Uncle Charles, Mr. deLint and I were lately received.

I am in here.

Three faces have resolved into place above summer-weight sportcoats and half-Windsors across a polished pine conference table shiny with the spidered light of an Arizona noon. These are three Deans - of Admissions, Academic Affairs, Athletic Affairs. I do not know which face belongs to whom.

I believe I appear neutral, maybe even pleasant, though I've been coached to err on the side of neutrality and not attempt what would feel to me like a pleasant expression or smile.

I have committed to crossing my legs I hope carefully, ankle on knee, hands together in the lap of my slacks. My fingers are mated into a mirrored series of what manifests, to me, as the letter X. The interview room's other personnel include: the University's Director of Composition, its varsity tennis coach, and Academy prorector Mr. A. deLint. C.T. is beside me; the others sit, stand and stand, respectively, at the periphery of my focus. The tennis coach jingles pocket-change. There is something vaguely digestive about the room's odor. The high-traction sole of my complimentary Nike sneaker runs parallel to the wobbling loafer of my mother's half-brother, here in his capacity as Headmaster, sitting in the chair to what I hope is my immediate right, also facing Deans.

The Dean at left, a lean yellowish man whose fixed smile nevertheless has the impermanent quality of something stamped into uncooperative material, is a personality-type I've come lately to appreciate, the type who delays need of any response from me by relating my side of the story for me, to me. Passed a packet of computer sheets by the shaggy lion of a Dean at center, he is peaking more or less to these pages, smiling down."

>not good
>kek
>>
>>7846429
>discovery
how spooky
>>
>>7846294
i doubt many here are able to understand him anyway
>>
>>7846438
>I don't get it, therefore it's bad

He finished western philosophy
>>
File: 1458275550044.jpg (11 KB, 180x212) Image search: [Google]
1458275550044.jpg
11 KB, 180x212
>>7846303
lol
>>
>>7846400

In his personal intro to the Tractatus, Witty indicates that that book will probably only be of interest to other people who have already thought the same/similar thoughts. So, he is downplaying his own book as a circle-jerk, but still hopes that someone who has indeed thought the same types of things will agree with and enjoy the book.
>>
>>7846317
holy shit how fucking queer can you be, using a trip for one, secondly calling yourself twiggy and always posting accompanying images of twiggy with your shit posts
>>
>>7847116
>shitposts
Twiggy never posts anything of the sort.
>>
quality thread, clerisu
>>
File: stirner sempai.png (101 KB, 531x557) Image search: [Google]
stirner sempai.png
101 KB, 531x557
>>7846303
>progress
>>
>>7847116
thats our queen you nutcase
>>
>>7846429
You are so far gone mate.
>>
>>7846813
He was a good 20 years too late for that.
>>
>Whereof we cannot get dubs, thereof we must check in silence

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>7847725
check em
>>
He wrote Mistress, Nephew, Poker, there are so many great books. Not as good as Foucault's Pendulum but then again who is?
>>
>>7848416
Foucault's Pendulum isn't a person
>>
>>7846317
you should be able to go straight to 3 if you aren't a pleb
>>
more like shittgenstein

LOL
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.