[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fresh off the Tao Lin, get it while it's hot: https://m
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
135 KB, 1920x1080
Fresh off the Tao Lin, get it while it's hot:
https://m.soundcloud.com/taolin/two-hour-podcast-about-my-writing-1
>>
It's awful tbqh
>>
absolute madman
>>
go to bed Tao Lin
>>
go to bed
>>
>>7844543

Steps to Success in Literature:

>Step 1: Have Daddy who's rich as fuck.
>Step 2: Write avant-garde in any style. (NOTE: You do not need to know what avant-garde means or what style is or anything really. You just need to say it's avant-garde and then no one can criticize anymore and the high society critics will call it genius. We live in a postmodern world, after all.)
>Step 3: If no one is interested in your work, take some of Daddy's money and pay a broke New York lit agent to represent you.
>Step 4: Pretend to be autistic as fuck and struggle to function socially. Remember, you're "avant-garde" artist now. Don't screw it up.
>Step 5: Profit. Or not. It doesn't matter. Daddy's rich as fuck, after all.
>>
>>7844800
Someone is jealous.
>>
>>7844828

please go, tao. let's not do this again tonight.
>>
>>7844836
Can't see your post over all these people whove actually read my work.
>>
lol no one has read tao lin. I didn't even know who he was. I Googled him and just saw terrible reviews for his books. fuck I would hate to be poorly reviewed. I'd just quit.
>>
File: taopod.png (76 KB, 862x813) Image search: [Google]
taopod.png
76 KB, 862x813
>>7844843

Bravo, Tao. Bravo.
>>
>>7844858
If no one has read him then how did he get on the front of Time Magazine?
>>
>>7844858
>not being self-satisfied with your work.
Stay pleb.
>>
>>7844858
Read the shoplifting book
>>
>>7844873
lmao your joking right? they would never put him on the cover of time
>>
>>7844912
google it m8 you'd be surprised
>>
>>7844941
I did. he was never on the cover of time you fucking retard.
>>
File: Stranger_thumb_w_580.jpg (72 KB, 580x377) Image search: [Google]
Stranger_thumb_w_580.jpg
72 KB, 580x377
here
>>
>>7844946
>he can't do a simple google search

your sleuthing abilities seem to have withered, Watson
>>
>>7844800
He actually does have a certain style to his work even if he writes about mundane things. Even if it is not your thing you have to admit he captures the zeitgeist fairly well
>>
>>7844858
>no one has read him

browse more before posting here
>>
>>7844950
the funny thing is that Tao is a way better writer than Franzen
>>
>>7844961

Listen, Tao. I respect the fact that you were smart enough to figure out the game and had the balls to actually go through with it.

There. I said something nice.
>>
k people have read him but then they all went out and gave him shit reviews.
>>
>>7844976
hahaha hah hahaha your a funny guy >>7844986
>>
>>7844800
As far as Tao Lin goes, this is correct, i can't believe his writing is being taken seriously. The worst thing is this generation of writers that come from the internet and they fucking suck but they call it avant-garde so it's okay. They're just not good, they don't ahve good ideas, they don't know about writing technique, about poetry, structure, they don't fucking love language, they just want to be writers
>>
>>7845014
>, i can't believe his writing is being taken seriously.

don't worry, it isn't
>>
>>7844998
Ever thought that maybe high reviews aren't actually indicative of a story's quality?
>>
>>7844800
I avoid Proust and all rich authors for this reason
>>
>>7845014
Should we love language or should we love things we want to communicate?
>>
>>7845071
Both
>>
>>7845071
Language. Otherwise you might as well be watching a movie or listening to music instead.
>>
>>7845014
they aren't calling themselves avant garde

>>7845020
yet we are here posting in a thread about him
>>
>>7845129
>yet we are here posting in a thread about him
>thinking laughing at a shitty dipshit in a bad thread he made about himself is "taking him seriously"

come on tao, you are sad and we're all embarrassed ok, can't you just take it to reddit
>>
>>7845159
can you post an actual argument so I can try to refute it.

I don't think he is the greatest author but he is not as bad as what people in this thread are making him out to be
>>
File: 192903182903.jpg (55 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
192903182903.jpg
55 KB, 850x400
>>7845014
>>
Yo Tao, I love your shit. It's great. Since you're this super chill 4channer and all I was wondering if you could like post something about my podcast on Twitter or whatever. You know, since you're not doing yours, maybe you could pass the baton to me? I'm an up-and-coming edgy writer with something to say about the banality of modern life and how fucked up society is by advertising and corporatism and I really think you'd like it. It's totally ironic too, so don't worry about pushing some sincere BS on the cool New York kids. My blog is called "More reasons to be flabbergasted about Miller Lite commercials" Check me out, I bet you'd like it. Anyway, peace out, you know, or whatever.
>>
I'm sure a fair amount of authors have passed through this board at one time or another, but Tao Lin is the only one who feels his presence needs to be known. His work takes a backseat to his narcissism. No other author resorts to shitposting on 4chan for advertisement. That's how irrelevant Tao Lin is.
>>
honestly I was thinking. if he killed himself I'd like his work a lot more.
>>
>>7845238
Except Pynchon
>>
>>7845259
>le 80 year old man posts on /lit/ maymay
>>
>>7845277
who do you think posts the tunnel?
>>
File: image.jpg (176 KB, 1086x811) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176 KB, 1086x811
Yo Tao. You're a pussy fuck. I have asthma but I still smoke weed. Stop being such a low-energy millenial cuckboy who makes excuses about not smoking pot.

Also, love your writing. Really captures the banality of nihilism.
>>
>>7845281

Hi Tommy. It's your good friend here. Tee-hee.
>>
>>7845283
he does smoke cannabis. Its just in his one book his character doesn't
>>
>>7845283
>smoking weed

Normies get out REEEE
>>
Tao is basically the average Bernie Sanders voter summed up into one person. nothing but a degenerate drug user who probably cucks himself by watching Mira fuck white men
>>
>>7845337
>>7845325
Great, I hate Tao too. But I've been gone a while.
When did /lit/ become another /pol/tv/r9k containment board?
>>
File: obama.jpg (36 KB, 570x380) Image search: [Google]
obama.jpg
36 KB, 570x380
>When he heard laughter, before he could think or feel anything, his heart would already be beating like he’d sprinted twenty yards. As the beating slowly normalized he’d think of how his heart, unlike him, was safely contained, away from the world, behind bone and inside skin, held by muscles and arteries in its place, carefully off-center, as if to artfully assert itself as source and creator, having grown the chest to hide in and to muffle and absorb—and, later, after innovating the brain and face and limbs, to convert into productive behavior—its uncontrollable, indefensible, unexplainable, embarrassing squeezing of itself.

MFW when no one in this thread will ever write even a single sentence of this quality
>>
>>7845348
lemme guess you are a libcuck

fuck off to reddit
>>
>>7845348
We're trying not to be, but the containment board strategy didn't work. Every board is full of /pol/ shitposting now.
>>
>>7845361
>rah rah, us vs them!
I'm not a liberal
>fuck off to reddit
lemme guess, you parrot this /tv/ summer shit because you are angry that you are basically congenitally retarded
>>
>>7845366
not everyone is a filthy leftist you know. most of the posters on /lit/ are conservative to the core
>>
>>7845348
/lit/ is an /r9k/ offshoot
>>
>>7845384
>most of the posters on /lit/ are conservative to the core

That's what happens when /pol9k/ makes active raid threads and immigrates to a slow board, yes
>>
>>7845408
And /tg/ is a /b/ offshoot but that doesn't mean /tg/ is full of camwhoring and dick pics
>>
>>7845408
I'm not talking about then /r9k/ i'm talking about our current "omg what is this new robot doing, fuck normie-chinese-mot /r9k/
>>
>>7845384
Shitposting your dumb opinions in literally every thread doesn't mean that "most" people here are conservative, it just means that 2-3 idiots have no life.

This is the cycle of /lit/ - it's slow enough that a few people can make the place seem obsessed with something.

We went from Ayn Rand to Tao Lin to to Will Self to Laurie Penny to /pol/ to that kid who shot up his place back to Tao Lin to that girlfriend of Tao Lin, a circle of shit
>>
>>7845223
ahahahahahahahahahahaha yup

boy genius
>>
>>7845355

Trash writing, desu.

>When he heard laughter, before he could think or feel, his heart would beat like he was sprinting. As the beating normalized he'd think of his heart and how, unlike his brain, it was safely contained, away from the world behind skin and bone, commanding the muscles and arteries to hold it in place, artfully asserting itself as source and creator. And though his brain and face and limbs were productive in their behavior, later, after its uncontrollable, indefensible, unexplainable squeezing, his heart would feel embarrassed.

FTFY. That one's free, Tao. Next one is gonna cost you.
>>
>>7845488
The last half doesn't make sense though
>>
>>7845499
>>7845488
yeah you made it worse bruh
>>
>>7845277
80s not even that old

ill be posting here when Im 90, Christ willing Im alive
>>
>>7845499

None of Tao's shit makes sense. That's his problem. The thoughts are there he just doesn't know how to make sense of it all.

But you're right, I missed something even then.

>When he heard laughter, before he could think or feel, his heart would beat like he was sprinting. As the beating normalized he'd think of how his heart, unlike him, was safely contained, away from the world behind skin and bone. And though his brain and face and limbs were productive in their behavior, later, after its uncontrollable, indefensible, unexplainable, embarrassing squeezing, his heart could hide in the chest.

That's better.
>>
>>7845563
Tao's is better desu
>>
>>7845488

is english your first language?
>>
>Tao smoking weed
I thought he couldn't smoke because of his lung collapse?
>>
>>7844869
lmao now that I listened to him for 78 minutes of basically setting up his soundcloud and stating repeatedly that the podcasts would be numbered.
>>
The Atlantic's April issue has a takedown of young writers who write like Tao Lin but actually doesn't mention Tao Lin because he is not considered important outside of /lit/:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-new-fiction-of-solitude/471474/

Mentions Sheila Heti, Ben Lerner, lots of other millennials but Tao Lin is not noticed...
>>
>>7846040
good he's a stupid Chink anyways
>>
>>7846040
Yeah I wonder why modern youth are like that. Might have something to do with the wholesale destruction of any cultural norms that the last century has preoccupied itself with.
>>
>>7845384
Bullshit, lit is made up of self-doubting libs pretending to be centrists or apolitical
>>
>>7846040
Weird. I have no idea who Heti is, but Lerner is also talked about here on occasion.
>>
>>7846040

what the fuck? are you dense? Lerner and Heti write in first person. besides, their styles are nothing like Tao Lin.
>>
Does Tao really post on lit or is that just a meme
>>
>>7845355
That's good, but everything is created kind of simulatenously in the zygote through cellular differentiation, the heart doesn't come first.
And it's actually the brain - the brainstem - that controls the heartbeat.
>>
>>7847699
He referenced /lit/ in Taipei.
>>
>>7847798
what a faggot
>>
I don't get it, is this supposed to be funny?
>>
>>7845563
tao is better m8
>>
>>7845563

You're either trolling or borderline verbally disabled.

>And though his brain and face and limbs were productive in their behavior, later, after its uncontrollable, indefensible, unexplainable, embarrassing squeezing, his heart could hide in the chest.

I mean, are you fucking kidding me? Seriously. Are you?

This is why /lit/ will always fucking suck. The middle of the fucking bell curve.
>>
>>7844950
I honestly like Tao better than that DFW knock off
At least he tries to be original
>>
>>7845013
It's true though. As shitty as Tao Lin is, Franzen's worse.
>>
>>7847936
no he's not
>>
>>7847939
He is. It's not even debatable.
>>
>>7847943
lol what ever you say
>>
>>7846040
how did you perceive that as a 'takedown' ?
>>
>>7847735
Mein gott
>>
Why does he sound like that?
>>
>>7847936
another opinion here. Tao is a pretty good writer even if his stuff is boring. Franzen sucks lightbulbs
>>
>>7847830
why does that make him a faggot? Referencing things youre familiar with is exactly what good and honest writers do
>>
>>7848082
Yeah, I skimmed through a pdf of The Corrections and it was fucking awful. I don't like Tao Lin but I actually got through a couple of his books.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.