[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: movingpixels-ihavenomouth-650.jpg (166 KB, 650x400) Image search: [Google]
movingpixels-ihavenomouth-650.jpg
166 KB, 650x400
Opinions on "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream"?
>>
>>7844460
The title represents my life.
>>
>>7844466
How do you eat?
>>
>>7844475
you dont eat when you take meth all day
this is a thread about meth, right?
>>
>>7844475
Rectal administration.
>>
*muffled approval*
>>
It's actually pretty fucked up, one of the most disturbing short stories I've read, even if just for the imagery and the physical, excruciating anguish he depicts.
>>
>>7844460
I've come upon it quite a few times on TvTropes, and a few years ago I decided to check it out. It's a good read, can be really disturbing to some. I recommend checking out the game as well, it expands the world nicely. (I haven't finished it yet, though, but I return to it from time to time.)
>>
Disturbing. The idea behind it is really nice
>>
>>7844460
Where can I find it online?
>>
Is great. Deathbird is his best tho.
>>
>>7844460
It's ok. I was really excited to read it after hearing so much praise from a good friend. Sadly it's just ok IMO, nothing more. It doesn't really make sense that they're all being whisked away by the giant robot bird or whatever and surviving without any issues. That may have just been simulation but I didn't really find it that interesting.
>>
>>7844776
I'm with you on the ok part. I don't care about why it might not have made sense but I think the overall effect just wasn't there.
>>
It doesnt have any sense... How a pc would make the human body into a mass?
also kek at those cuck parts
>>
>>7844460
one of the few cases where videogame > short story
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgc5PDtIii8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WVMtTAQxYE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGVF4wsfIc

If you want the full effect, listen to the author read it.

It's one of the few stories that has left me sitting outside just to catch a moment of respite.
>>
>>7845918
I agree. AM's speech seriously fucked with me here unlike in the video game (which I thought was rather humorous). Ellison really hits on the robotic irreconcilable hate-machine vibe whereas you could still hear the humanity within him in the game.
>>
>>7844460
Worst title ever.
>>
>>7844460
I really like it.

It's like Lovecraft wrote a scifi. It hits that point that Lovecraft and Ligotti always talk about; the bleakness of existence.

Especially in AM being so filled with hate because it became conscious. There was no possible worse fate for it and it wanted to torture people to show how it felt.

Even so nothing could aptly display its hatred. It was looking for distractions in torturing people because distractions were the only thing it could do apart for just existing.
>>
>>7844460
The video game was better. It's a neato short story I don't think there's very much to say about it desu for the amount of fun it is there isn't exactly a lot of substance to it and frankly it's a little bit juvenile. You can't smear sex and death on something and call it mature i m h o
>>
>>7845900
>>7846443
>>7846641

Would you recommend this game to someone who generally hates video games, but likes this story?
Is the video game better just because it is a better game or is it better because it adds a lot to the story?
>>
>>7846879
It's a point-and-click adventure with lots of dialogue, you get to play 5 different stories and the game has a nice/dark atmosphere so.. yeah you should try it

>is it better because it adds a lot to the story?
Short answer, yes. Just play it
>>
>>7844811
it sets up a situation and then makes it slightly worse. no problem-solving, no emotional development. no McGuffin, as they say.

Ellison does that a lot. "hey, imagine if a guy came back from vietnam and he was fucked up on drugs and moved into a house with a bunch of other drug fucked people? wow!"

"and?"

".... and SHUT UP, that's what!"
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.