[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
bookshop thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 17
File: Chorley-bookshop-805[1].jpg (4 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Chorley-bookshop-805[1].jpg
4 MB, 4000x3000
bookshop thread?

what's your city's best bookshop? have you ever seen a literary qt there and failed to speak to her? etc

I'm heading to New Orleans in a few days I was wondering if you guys knew which used shops in the quarter had the best philosophy selection
>>
I live in a university town and it doesn't even have a single bookstore besides textbook stores.
FML
>>
I always see nerdylooking qt's at the bookshop, but they never have good taste
>>
Toronto here. not many big book stores. lots of smaller ones though. elliots is the best I'd say. although the handy book exchange always has what I want and if they don't they will take your name down and call you when they get the book. they have called me twice in the past. bmv is okay too.
>>
Charlotte, NC. Charlotte is bad at everything but Park Road Books is pretty cute and cozy.
>>
>>7843652
my city has 1 small bookshop
and one Libri.
And the 2 book aisles in the 2 supermarkets
In the neighbouring city,there is a small cart full of books selling for less than an Euro.
I haven't checked it out because I'm scared of scams.should I?
>>
>>7843691
>,there is a small cart full of books selling for less than an Euro.

I'm not sure I understand. The whole cart is one euro or its a cart full of books and each book is one euro?
>>
>>7843652
Shelf life books in Calgary is awesome. Small shop feel with a great selection.
They have events every once in a while too, like poetry readings.
>>
>>7843723
The books sell for less than 1 euro each.
There are some more expensive ones of course.
But I haven't really checked it out.
Maybe I really should,to break the daily routine.
>>
File: harvard-bookstore.jpg (33 KB, 400x280) Image search: [Google]
harvard-bookstore.jpg
33 KB, 400x280
>>
>>7843691
Scammed out of one Euro? How poor are you that you're worried about this?
>>
File: 0000017403.jpg (72 KB, 600x762) Image search: [Google]
0000017403.jpg
72 KB, 600x762
>>7843747
money is money anon.
Central europe isn't a generous place with it compared to the west.
I imaging that you are all either americans or brits,sitting in front of your well made desk,with a wall of books next to you.
I don't have that.
And I hate throwing out money.
My mother always encouraged me spending more.
But I have this weird feeling sitting behind my ears that spending money on things you will never use is a shameful thing to do.
It is quite sad.
>>
File: bt8.jpg (103 KB, 720x408) Image search: [Google]
bt8.jpg
103 KB, 720x408
Ever been to Copenhagen?
>>
Half Price books. Most of the local bookshops are overpriced.
>>
>>7843762
lol europeans
>>
File: LIBRERÍA PURO VERSO 01.jpg (521 KB, 1100x729) Image search: [Google]
LIBRERÍA PURO VERSO 01.jpg
521 KB, 1100x729
based puro verso
>>
>>7843737
Visited Boston a few months back. Fuck the Harvard book store; go to Raven used books across the street from campus instead. Mostly new or like new books, loads of overstock/bulk stock of big name fiction writers, and easily the biggest real philosophy section I've seen in a used book store, all at good to great prices.

Anyway I'm in DC. Second story books is ace with a huge warehouse ~45 minutes away with ridiculous discounts, idle time books is cute but has a mediocre selection, I almost got mugged checking out Books for America at night, and I've never been to Capitol Hill Books but I hear it's great.
>>
File: image.jpg (834 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
834 KB, 1200x800
Eureka books in CA. No qts work or shop there, and I don't always find what I'm looking for. But, they have great taste when it comes to what they do stock. They also don't hover around me like I'm going to steal shit and its library quiet in there.
>>
my face when they open a local bookshop two months ago but just thed other day they closed 5ever, kek
>>
File: 2016-03-23_2352.png (2 MB, 1478x824) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-23_2352.png
2 MB, 1478x824
>>7843652
i live in a small town that has three bookshops.
this is one of them. it's a secondhand bookshop and the town is called Alton so they really struggled to come up with a name. it's pleasant enough inside but they don't change the stock around very often so i don't go in very much. the town is next to Chawton, where Jane Austen lived, and i think they pretty much survive on the literary tourist trade.

the building next door is a disused chapel that was converted into houses.
>>
>>7843766
I'd very much like to visit.
>>
File: sapphoBooks.png (1 MB, 1241x687) Image search: [Google]
sapphoBooks.png
1 MB, 1241x687
i live in sydney

for used books, i like sappho books, and glee books' used store, both along glebe point road, prices are quite reasonable, and they always get a lot of new stock - sappho also has a great music section, with a ton of sheet music and music-related books, as well as records - i've bought a decent amount of folk music/field recordings from there
there's also gould's book arcade, which is a cavernous chud-palace, and isn't a particularly fun experience to browse, but you can find interesting stuff from time to time

for new books, i love kinokuniya (right near town hall) and glee books' new store
>>
>>7843688
no way i go to davidson

haven't been to park road books. been to the last word a few times, good prices, a little too lame with the magic the gathering tournaments and their harry potter devotion but oh well
>>
There are no book stores where I live, except the couple odd ones that end up in Goodwill. I'm stuck with Thriftbooks, Bookdepository and Amazon
>>
>>7843662
this
>>
>>7844407
>chapel that was converted into houses
Wow
>>
>>7844638
Oh wait theres a Barnes and Noble here but idk why I'd ever shop there for
>>
any other torontofags here?
BMV is god. Ten Editions for everything BMV lacks. Amazon for the rest.
p.s. rest in peace rob ford

>>7843652
this book shop may be nice looking but they sure don't put the good titles out front.
>>
>>7844756
bmv is great but super hit and miss. I like elliots, seekers, the handy book exchange, Doug miller's.

http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_best_used_bookstores_in_toronto/
>>
File: moes.jpg (157 KB, 900x580) Image search: [Google]
moes.jpg
157 KB, 900x580
>>7843652
Arguably Moe's. I am biased though since I live about 1 minute walking distance from it.

I also work in a different bookstore in this city but it definitely isn't the best one and is out of the way.
>>
I live in the south of Brazil, in a city called Joinville, founded by german immigrants.

The major bookshops, which there are 3 or 4 of, are located inside shopping malls or near to them. They're VERY expensive and contain mostly best sellers and bullshit, though some rare gems can be found hidden among other books more off to the corners. Usually these books are in pristine quality and have great cover/paper quality, to somewhat balance the cost. They also have playing cards, such as MtG and Pokémon in the back, along with school material, movies and music.

The minor ones, the ones that mostly sell used books, are called "sebos". These are the places to find the odd stuff. There's the occasional untranslated 100 year old german book describing children's stories or the also untranslated soviet book regarding math that was hidden in somebody's attic through the dictatorship, during which it was illegal. There's also all sorts of old magazines and famous books as well, so many of the poorer students getting through high school go to these places to get their national literature. Often, they also sell pirated video games, movies, music and vinyls.
The drawback of these places is that, because of the local climate, air moisture is plentiful enough for you to not have to drink water through the day, and these books suffer a lot. By the point you get to them, the pages are full of spots and smell like mold. In the worst cases, the ink is disappearing, they're falling apart or have holes through most pages, caused by bugs similar to termites that have eaten through them. So if you want a book in great shape, usually you'd get it from one of the expensive bookshops.
>>
File: Dubuffet_N.jpg (46 KB, 326x434) Image search: [Google]
Dubuffet_N.jpg
46 KB, 326x434
>>7844813
>The drawback of these places is that, because of the local climate, air moisture is plentiful enough for you to not have to drink water through the day, and these books suffer a lot. By the point you get to them, the pages are full of spots and smell like mold. In the worst cases, the ink is disappearing, they're falling apart or have holes through most pages, caused by bugs similar to termites that have eaten through them. So if you want a book in great shape, usually you'd get it from one of the expensive bookshops.
that's pretty interesting desu, I'd never considered what effect climate would have on used-book economy.
>>
>>7844813
What the fuck is wrong with brazil

>be Brazilian
>buy book
>falls apart because jungle heat melted it
>giant bugs come out and bite me
>>
>>7844813
>air moisture is plentiful enough for you to not have to drink water through the day

so you don't have to drink water?
>>
probably University of Pennsylvania's Bookstore
there's a good used bookstore on campus too
>>
Lyrical Ballads, Saratoga Springs NY

There was a fucking based one in latham that closed a year or two ago. Got books for $1-$4 there
>>
>>7843729
I always went to Fair’s Fair when I make the trip, will have to check that place out.
>>
>>7843737
>>7844019
Came to see if anyone posted about Boston. It's the only major city where I've visited a bookstore. This was two years ago (almost to the day), and I went to Commonwealth Bookstore. Have you ever been there? It was fantastic, blew my mind compared to the stores I've had access to in the towns where I've spent my life. I can't remember what I ended up buying while there, but I know I got a couple things that I had been looking for and hadn't found in the town where I was living at the time. Unfortunately I had a limited amount of time to spend there, could've been almost an all-day thing for me.
>>
File: joy.jpg (29 KB, 365x500) Image search: [Google]
joy.jpg
29 KB, 365x500
Anyone from Victoria BC? I'm going there in a bit to visit my brother and would like to poke in some places.
>>
>>7844019
Another DC fag here. I like Carpe Librum, decent selection of used books. I always find something interesting there.
>>
>>7845062
come to my place anon, ill smoke you up and we can visit them all
>>
>>7844813
You're exaggerating, I guess. Bookworms exist everywhere, and the climate isn't that much of a problem.
>>
File: ABC.jpg (449 KB, 1303x1201) Image search: [Google]
ABC.jpg
449 KB, 1303x1201
I live in Amsterdam and the American Book Center is my favorite place for books. It's now on the Spui square, which is fine, but I preferred it when the store was still on the Kalverstraat, as it was a lot less spacious and thus more cozy. Prices are decent, although they've gone up a bit. Probably has to do with exchange rates.

Anyway, recommended for anyone in the Netherlands visiting Amsterdam and also for tourists, as they sell mostly books and magazines in English.
>>
File: image.jpg (294 KB, 555x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
294 KB, 555x370
NYC here. The Strand.
>>
>>7845158
Its a date, bud.
>>
>>7844600
>Davidson
How is it there? I'm debating between Davidson and NYU at the moment for literature.
>>
>go to used bookstore in town

>shit selection, shit editions and a bunch of kids studying in the backrooms where the history books are

>can't even look at certain books

>costs less to buy from amazon

i never went back to a used bookstore unless it was overseas and had some antiques.
>>
>>7845258
>Catalog
Oh really?

Do you want to meet up sometime? I can probably give you a lot more information in person than on here.
>>
>>7845258
e-mail me here i think

[email protected]
>>
>>7844923
Dude I'm in Clifton Park right now
>>
>>7845060
DC guy who only visited Boston, here. Nah no luck with Commonwealth, but it definitely looked like Boston had a solid number of cool little bookstores. I was in the same boat as you, with not enough time (or money) to explore all the spots I managed to find online. Raven had about a dozen brand new copies of Hong translated Kierkegaard for like 40% off retail, but I was fucking broke and had to walk out without a single one.

>>7845135
Never heard of it, actually, but it's near the areas where I usually hang out, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
>>
>>7845062
Renaissance Books was really great, but the dude who ran it had to sell it. Not sure what happened to him. Cavity curiosity shop is really cool for more genrey stuff, but also regular literature. Dude who runs it is really cool. Russell books is pretty dece. Make sure to check out all three levels as well as it's second location. There's also an anarchist book store called Camas which I've only been to once.
>>
It's called Books from Underground. They're literally underground. The store's bread and butter is your typical YA shit but they do have /lit/ worthy books inside.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 350x263
Anyone been to City Lights in San Fran? Cool place with the most God tier selection I've ever seen.
I live in Louisville and only know of a couple bookstores besides HPB and B&N. Carmichaels and All Booked Up.
>>
>>7844482
Just discovered this place a couple of weeks ago. It's great. Was hoping I'd see it in this thread.
>>
Perthfags.

Hay Street Dymock 3/10
Perth Elizabeths 8/10
Boffins 7/10 if you're a wageslave with money to burn 4/10 otherwise
Book store at the train station -1/10
Leederville Second Hand Shop 8/10
Freo Elizabeths 6/10
Elizabeths warehouse 6/10
Subi Bookshop 3/10

Anything else I've missed or should know about?
>>
>>7845730
Live two blocks from there. Their selection isn't very good.
>>
>>7845952
I think the selection's pretty good, considering it's a pretty small store. I stop in every once and a while and can usually find something I'm interested in.
>>
>>7843672
wherabouts is elliots? im at school in montreal right now, but im from toronto...

btw, i found that right around honest eds is a bunch of really cool book stores and comic shops
>>
File: ZANZUP.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
ZANZUP.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
Not in my town, but I have family in the area and like to visit this bookshop, which was built inside an old railways station, when I'm visiting. It's nothing special, but fairly cosy. However, it is responsible for that annoying 'Keep Calm and Carry On' phenomenon, as this was where the original poster was re-discovered in 2000. Bonus points to any UK /lit/izens who know where it is.
>>
File: ZANZUP.jpg (12 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
ZANZUP.jpg
12 KB, 275x183
>>7846029
Just realised that the picture is shit, here's a better one.
>>
>>7846029
>>7846036
Ok both those pictures appear to be shit even though they're big when I save them. Refuse to post a good pic now, out of principle.
>>
>>7846029
Barter books. I keep meaning to visit that place when I'm working up there.
>>
brazilians really need to get off /lit/
>>
>>7844844
I exaggerated, but you don't have to drink all that lot indeed. You could go almost all day long without water without feeling your throat dry. You can almost feel the water in the air in certain days.

>>7845187
Usually the problem is that used books contain a bit of filth from the hands of previous owners that is kept preserved in the pages because of the structure of the book. If the climate is drier, it doesn't matter too much. If it's humid however, fungus can thrive easily on that, and it wears out the book in the process.
>>
>>7846013
yonge and Wellesley
>>
>>7846038
get off the computer grandpa
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.