[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some people that have lived the NEET/hikki life and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: ob.jpg (202 KB, 510x383) Image search: [Google]
ob.jpg
202 KB, 510x383
What are some people that have lived the NEET/hikki life and lived to tell about it? Looking for anything on the subject, but preferably non-fiction, since I'd like to know how actual NEETs lived. Fiction is fine, too.

Besides my and your diary, obviously.
>>
File: cioran-16.jpg (294 KB, 2040x1305) Image search: [Google]
cioran-16.jpg
294 KB, 2040x1305
Cioran was a NEET philosopher who praised non-action.

"At any rate I can say that I've read a lot in my life, precisely because I was a man without an occupation. What the French call an idler, someone who doesn't work. But in return I read. So I consider that I've done my duty all the same. But I read also in order not to think, to escape. To not be me. And too, I've always tried to find the defects in others, the flaws."'
- E.M. Cioran

>JW Did you write much through all those sleepless nights?
>EMC Yes, but not so much. You know, I've written very little, I never assumed it as a profession. I'm not a writer. I write these little books, that's nothing at all, it's not an oeuvre. I haven't done anything in my life. I only practiced a trade for a year, I was a high-school teacher in Rumania. But since then, I've never practiced a trade. I've lived just like that, like a sort of student and such. And that I consider the greatest suc- cess of my life. My life hasn't been a failure because I succeeded in doing nothing.
>JW And that's difficult.
>EMC It's extremely difficult, but I consider that an immense success. I'm proud of it. I always found one scheme or another, I had grants, things like that.
>>
>>7842872
Thanks, just what I was looking for. Heard about him, but didn't know that he held this opinion about non-action.
>because I succeeded in doing nothing.
He truly was a master. It really is difficult though, precisely why I wanted real-world examples of it. Thanks again, I'll go read something by him.
>>
>>7842819
>tfw you're half Oblomov/half Stolz and your life could go either way

I'm scared t b h
>>
>>7842898
>“As far as I am concerned, I resign from humanity. I no longer want to be, nor can still be, a man. What should I do? Work for a social and political system, make a girl miserable? Hunt for weaknesses in philosophical systems, fight for moral and esthetic ideals? It’s all too little. I renounce my humanity even though I may find myself alone. But am I not already alone in this world from which I no longer expect anything?”
― Emil Cioran, On the Heights of Despair

>“I don’t understand why we must do things in this world, why we must have friends and aspirations, hopes and dreams. Wouldn’t it be better to retreat to a faraway corner of the world, where all its noise and complications would be heard no more? Then we could renounce culture and ambitions; we would lose everything and gain nothing; for what is there to be gained from this world?”
― Emil Cioran, On the Heights of Despair

>“To live entirely without a goal! I have glimpsed this state, and have often attained it, without managing to remain there: I am too weak for such happiness.”
― Emil Cioran

Disengagement above all, it seems.
>>
Un homme qui dort by Georges Perec.
>>
>>7842913
JOJO: What? What are you saying?!
CIO: I RENOUNCE MY HUMANITY! JOJO!!
>>
>>7842963
Good one.

I wish there was a way of knowing for sure whether my disingenagement with the world is a result of apathy / cowardice / "betaness" or if I've transcended the spooks / memes which most people value. I'm tempted to the think it's the former considering how depressed I am most of the time.
>>
>>7842819
Spengler lived in solitude and poverty from 1911 to ~ 1918 while writing Decline of the West.
Not complete hikki since he taught and took writing jobs, but still very much alone. Didn't own any books either.
>>
>>7842992
>tfw no Spengler bf
>>
>>7842981
Why not both? The former could be the cause of the latter. What's left of it, when you have nothing to value in life? But it's most likely depression, yeah. Don't think it's normal to be so apathetic and lethargic. Well, at least I'm not the only one.

>>7842963
Thanks, I already read it. The ending was a bit weird, he just seemed to get better all of a sudden for no reason, within the last 5 or so pages, without any explanation. That kind of devalues the preceding 95% of the book, since his existential ennui are just given a deus ex machina resolution.
>>
>>7842999
>don't think it's normal to be so apathetic and lethargic

Doesn't seem to be. The shame is my heightened sensitivity and intellect means my suffering is more intense than most other people (including yourself no-doubt, alas). The world outside my mind really is very repulsive to me, but there is nowhere I can escape properly to until Virtual Reality becomes developed enough.
>>
>>7843006
Oh, my poor anon, how can you bear all that pain?
>>
>>7842819
Bartleby the Scrivener desu.
>>
Pessoa
>>
>>7842992
>Didn't own any books either.
This is my goal desu, but books are the hardest thing to get rid off.
>>
>>7842819
Thoreau
>>
>>7843006
>including yourself no-doubt, alas
That's a weird way of looking at it, or maybe I just misunderstood you. What does my suffering matter to you, whether it's more or less pronounced than yours? Good for me, I guess, but that doesn't exactly make me feel better, knowing you're worse off.

Comparatively, the suffering of others, or all other subjective feelings for that matter, are the same when looked at from the outside. Aren't they?

>The world outside my mind really is very repulsive to me,
Well, at least the inside of it isn't. That's an upside.
>>
>>7843044
The inside is too, but compared to the outer world it is a relative paradise.It's a shame I can't simply purchase and upload a female companion to occupy it with me.
>>
>>7843015
Sick shit, read it already.

Metamorphosis, Bartleby, and the two other books recommended in that other thread I haven't yet read: The dangling man by Saul Bellow and The pigeon by Suskind.
>>
>>7843049
>It's a shame I can't simply purchase and upload a female companion to occupy it with me.

Well, first you have to break out of the neoliberal mindset that everything has a monetary value and can be purchased. This is definitely not one of those things.
And you're very mistaken if you think a female will solve any of your problems or help you in any way. I often entertain the egoistic dream of having a clone of myself, but even probably wouldn't change much. What good would the two of me do, if I can't even help myself? But a female, clone or not, will only create more problems than it solves. I don't really know where the "if only I had a girlfriend" idea came from, but it's wrong. Maybe only as an ideal, non-human form, but as a human with its own flaws and issues, enclosed in a meatsuit that executes its physical functions, no. Imagine having to remove period blood stains from your bed and having to look at blood a lot more often than you'd like.
>>
File: Epicurus bust.jpg (86 KB, 590x1000) Image search: [Google]
Epicurus bust.jpg
86 KB, 590x1000
Epicurus was about retreating from public life into a little hippy commune with your friends and live a simple life and taking it easy.
>>
>>7843006
>The world outside my mind
>World outside mind
You have such a long way to go, it is alarming kid
>>
File: tips fucking fedora.jpg (30 KB, 353x334) Image search: [Google]
tips fucking fedora.jpg
30 KB, 353x334
>>7843006
>The shame is my heightened sensitivity and intellect means my suffering is more intense than most other people (including yourself no-doubt, alas).
>>
>>7844048
His pain is probably constant and acute, and he does not want a better world for anyone. To the contrary, he wants other to share in his misery.
>>
>>7843061
>girls are not the answer
>because they bleed sometimes

Once you entered a certain level of trust in a relationship there is a fuckton to loose and a fuckton to gain.
I lost the trust and gained the weight.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 236x286) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 236x286
>>7844441
>>
File: teletubby.jpg (31 KB, 428x470) Image search: [Google]
teletubby.jpg
31 KB, 428x470
>>7843069
fuck living with friends, sooner or later you will start to hate them too, better to live alone imo.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.