[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Herman Hesse fans here? This one's my favorite of his
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Narcissus and Goldmund.jpg (33 KB, 304x500) Image search: [Google]
Narcissus and Goldmund.jpg
33 KB, 304x500
Any Herman Hesse fans here? This one's my favorite of his but i also enjoyed Demian, and Gertrude.
>>
>>7841568
I've read Beneath the Wheel and Rosshalde, both when I was in my late teens. I don't remember either in too much detail as far as plot or anything goes, but I remember both reading experiences as enlightening/calming/uplifting/rich/etc. I wish I'd read more of him around that age and I wish I had the drive to read more of him now. I hope to go back to his stuff someday.
>>
>>7841608
>enlightening/calming/uplifting/rich/etc.
Same. you should definitely check out Narcissus and Goldmund then. Some kind of meditation on the meaning of the "virtuous life", not that i usually care about that sort of thing unironically but for some reason it resonated quite a bit.
>>
yay someone who actually read the good hesse stuff instead of shitposting based on siddhartha

read the glass bead game senpai it's gucci
>>
>>7841729

It was Godel Escher Bach before Godel Escher Bach for me desu senpai
>>
I read like 100 pages of that book OP and gave up. It's so shitty and weird. He leaves the convent and some local peasant girl comes and sleeps with him or something.
>>
>>7841568
Dude I just got N&G as well as journey to the east in the mail today, I've already read Siddhartha and kind of liked it, but i wanted something longer and more fleshed out. If I like these two I'll check out Glass Bead Game, which sounds pretty based from what I've heard.
>>
if you wanna find out more about hesse's frame of thought you can read tales of student life, basically early versions of his later plots
>>
>>7842397
>so shitty and weird
Can't argue with such astute literary criticism like that
>>
>>7841729
>shitposting based on siddhartha
I don't browse /lit/ enough to know that was a thing... Care to explain?
>>
Just finished The Glass Bead Game at the tail end of working my way through Hesse's body of work.

Really enjoyed it, although the first hundred or so pages is a little off-putting; the initial world building, while necessary, also feels like it's trying too hard.
Having finished it, I now appreciate the intention of what seemed like an imaginative wank at the time.
>>
>>7841568
demian came to me at a bad time in my life and left me feeling worse, but wiser???
siddhartha i read about two months later and it left me groggy but calm.
what should i read next of his?
>>
>>7841568
I was going to pick this up. Read Siddhartha last year and Demian a couple of weeks ago and liked both of those a lot, and I figured this would be the next best pathway into his work
>>
>>7843620
>What should i read next
Narcissus and Goldmund, definitely. Coming of age story (in a good way) with philosophical musings. Captures the mind/body duality quite well i think.
>>
>>7843561
Not much to it just that there's a monthly Siddartha shitposting thread here.
>>
>>7843640
>monthly siddhartha shitposting
how delightfully niche
>>
Rosshalde
>>
Just finished Narcissus and Goldmund. Teared up in the end.
>>
For some reason I just couldn't handle it in the end when Goldmund got old even though he was at peace. He had been such a force of nature for so long
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.