[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are lit thoughts of this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: stern.jpg (40 KB, 326x499) Image search: [Google]
stern.jpg
40 KB, 326x499
What are lit thoughts of this?
>>
>>7841380
shit don quixote rip off
>>
>>7841380
It's bloody fantastic, is what.

It's one of those texts that remind you that every innovative and challenging development in the contemporary novel (thinking of pomo challenges to the form) was already done in the 18th century.

Have you read it? If you're considering it, just start it. It's not the sort of novel that you read cover to cover, but that you read for a while, then return to later. It was written in instalments (as they were then), so it makes sense to read it in chunks.
>>
legitimately difficult to read unlike stuff like GR that's memed as difficult
>>
>>7841403
Yeah man, i was considering this as my next read (currently reading To the Light House) thanks for the recommendation. I knew it was associated with Joyce so I expect a difficult reading.
>>
>>7841380
>so many kikes
>>
>>7841380
the digressions, the digressions.
>>
>>7841444
I wouldn’t call it difficult – it goes nowhere, but it isn’t particularly challenging. It employs that 18th century humour present in The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling, which I did not find particularly funny. Nonetheless, it is a very comfy experience and at times quite amusing; it also has one of the best last pages in any novel I’ve read, although one must read the rest of the novel to appreciate it.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 600x469) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 600x469
>>7841387
Elaborate on this perspective, please.
>>
Pretty funny. Loved autist uncle Toby
>>
>>7841444
Can you explain why it's difficult? Or is it just that it's long and meandering?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.