[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>always say that ignorance is bliss, and that the secret to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: niet.jpg (126 KB, 384x480) Image search: [Google]
niet.jpg
126 KB, 384x480
>always say that ignorance is bliss, and that the secret to happiness is ignorance
>friend, Nietzche lover, disagrees completely. He always says that he can't stand people who think that
>in his opinion, the meaning of life is to gather as much knowledge as you can, and leave a legacy after death
>he's great at arguing, everyone knows that. He never gives up on an argument without "winning"
>we start arguing wether my theories are right or not
>one hour later, he gets angry and starts blabbing shit about how it's stupid to be ignorant
>he gives up

Up to this day, he still tries to convince me of his ideas. He never managed to.

This is a great feeling
>>
>>7840620
>I'm stupid and proud of it

Good luck with that buddy.
>>
>>7840620
>the secret to happiness is to be a complete idiot
>the meaning of life is to be a prententious sophist

You're both retarded. Just read what Socrates said - as reported by Plato - about knowledge.
>>
>>7840620
What is a great feeling? Not being convinced?
>>
>>7840633
>>7840634
>i'm stupid and proud of it
>the secret to happiness is to be a complete idiot
What the fuck
I'm not saying you've got to be a complete retard to be happy
Let's use the afterlife example. If you seek knowledge and intelligence, you will be scared and afraid of death, since you'll think there is no afterlife. But if you're ignorant, if you're religious, you won't be scared by the thought of it

Just read Ecclesiastes

>>7840638
No, that he simply refuses to accept a different theory. I'm not saying my theory is right, I never said that. But everytime we argue, he runs out of arguments to explain why I am wrong, while I got all the arguments needed to prove why he's wrong.
>>
>>7840620
It should make you extra happy to learn that Nietzsche agrees with you in the Uses and Abuses of History.
>>
File: lad.....jpg (139 KB, 661x520) Image search: [Google]
lad.....jpg
139 KB, 661x520
>and leave a legacy after death
>mfw

Oh Nietzsche-babas are so cute.

Give him a copy of The World as Will and Representation...
>>
>>7840663
Sorry, my mistake. I was going to say I disagree with a lot of Nietzsche ideas, but some of his are great. My friend only read Thus Spoke Zarathrusta, and he only remembers "God is dead"

>>7840634
Ecclesiastes 2 14
"The wise man's eyes are in his head, but the fool walks in darkness. And yet I know that one fate befalls them both"

The only good thing about being wise, is being wise. You will have the same problems as the ignorant. The ignorant, walks in darkness and will soonly meet a dark fate. The wise is aware of this dark fate, and suffers from anticipation.

There is, still, a way to be happy and wise. But that is only achievable by great wise people, real philosophers, stoics mainly. But that is almost impossible to achieve.

To be ignorant, is to be happy.
>>
>>7840633
this 2bh
>>
>>7840656
Who says seeking knowledge will make me afraid of death? What if I'm not afraid to seek knowledge?
>>
>>7840620
That's good. Your friend is an idiot and should read Nietzsche's The Antichrist more carefully.
>>
>friend, Nietzche lover, disagrees completely.
>in his opinion, the meaning of life is to gather as much knowledge as you can, and leave a legacy after death

Not a Nietzsche lover, for sure.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 600x582) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 600x582
>>
>>7841091
Sleep tight, Pupper
>>
File: 1458678307929.jpg (40 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1458678307929.jpg
40 KB, 640x360
>>7840689
first you misconstrue a quote from the bible pertaining to wisdom and then you base your arguement around what amounts to "being a wise person is hard and impossible," which leads me to believe you don't understand what wisdom is, nor how it is accrued.

i'm considering whether or not it'd be worth discussing with an individual who believes ignorance is the way to lasting happiness.
>>
>>7840620
Shitpost aside (although your friend is a shitty reader of Nietzsche if that's what he took away desu) I will use this as an opportunity to voice how fucking impressive Nietzsche is sometimes.

Reading through him I came to the realization that at times when he seems to be contradictory, he is actually not contradicting himself, he is purposefully arguing the opposite of his views in order to get the reader to disagree with him but come to his true conclusion. This all makes sense within his understanding of truth and his psychological methodology.

Particularly when he is laying into women as he is wont to do on occasion. Nietzsche is not a misogynist and this is made clear by everyone who actually knew him. Yet he frequently talks shit about women and femininity. He is doing this so that his wiser readers will understand that the roles of males and females in society are false idols. He believes that the subjugation of the female sex under the umbrella of femininity has created a guaranteed slave caste who will align themselves with the preachers of slave morality, guaranteeing degeneration in even a society with the healthiest and most powerful men. Note how the German women of older, healthier days were feared by the Romans, they joined their men on the battlefield and howled at the enemies, striking fear into their hearts.

Nietzsche speaks ill of women if we remain outside of his context, but in entering his context he speaks highly of them and exhorts us, and them, to smash the false idol of femininity. His attacks on feminism are legitimate because he sees feminism as an expansion of femininity in society, a feminization of both women and men rather than a true liberation of women.
>>
>>7840620
tell him he didn't get nietzsche and that freddy would laugh at his notion of knowledge
>>
>>7841118
Solomon would disagree that ignorance is bliss, that is right. But that's on his point of view. He says many times, that God will punish the bad people, and the good, honest, wise people will have great rewards. His only point is that, from the religious view, wisdom is good.
>being a wise person is hard and impossible
No, you are the one misconstruing here. It is hard, but one of the best examples is the buddhism. Buddhist, stoic people are generally wise, but they know how to balance wisdom and ignorance. They are wise, they know the truth, but are not affected by it. It's not impossible, but hard to achieve.

>>7840988
It's just an example. The point isn't being afraid of seeking knowledge, it's "Is knowledge and wisdom really worth it?"

Wisdom and knowledge do bring some sort of happiness, and proudness. But most of it will sadden you, as soon as you acknowledge the truth, the sadness in everything. That's the bad part of wisdom
>>
>>7840620
That's rather silly of your friend because Nietzsche said that truth did not have any privilege over falsity. You can't live without lies.
>>
>>7841128
Very well put post. I especially agree with your characterization of Nietzsche as willfully contradictory but only because he is his own interlocutor. Brilliant argumentative style, despite being easily misrepresented or understood.
>>
>>7840620
Nietzsche doesn't think this so idk why you made that a central part of your post.
>>
>>7840678
>muh elitism
>>
>>7840620
Tb h I seem to share a lot of your friends ideas, espescially the stubbornness, and I can't help but point out that when I stop trying to argue with someone is when I'm convinced they're too stupid to understand what I'm saying.
>>
>>7841087
this
>>
When did being obstinate become a thing to be proud of
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.