[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Even in literature, although the homology is not perfect,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot-2014-01-14-16.18.00.png (268 KB, 682x383) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-2014-01-14-16.18.00.png
268 KB, 682x383
>Even in literature, although the homology is not perfect, I'm tempted to say Joyce vs Beckett. Joyce is I think too bright for his own good. It's too pretentious in this encyclopaedic approach, like using all languages in Finnegan's Wake; the true genius is for me Samuel Beckett. If I were to choose one novel of the 20th century, it's his Unnameable. I think that the three absolute masters of 20th century literature are Beckett, Kafka and the Russian Andrei Platonov. If you put the three of them together, I'm ready to burn, sacrifice all other books just to keep these three.

What are your thoughts on this?
>>
>>7837148
I don't think John Green said this. Beckett's The Unnameable is dope though, an utterly unique book.
>>
File: don't.jpg (38 KB, 700x879) Image search: [Google]
don't.jpg
38 KB, 700x879
>>7837160
>an utterly unique book
>>
>>7837163
Have you even read it you memelord?
>>
>>7837166
>utterly unique
I think he was referring to this.
>>
>>7837148
What's the deal with Kafka? It all just seems like a bunch of boring ansty shit a teenager could write.
>>
>>7837148
>Finnegan's Wake
>'
>>
>>7837148
>*sniff* Even in literashuer, althshzo the homoloshy ish not perfekt, I'm tempted to shay Joysh versh Beckett. Joysh ish, i think, too bright for hish own good. *sniff* you shee, It's too pretentious in thish encyclodaedic approash, and sho on and sho on
fixed
>>
>>7837172
I really don't get what the big deal is
>>
> If you put the three of them together, I'm ready to burn, sacrifice all other books just to keep these three.

If you read only three books, make 'em... !!

Zizek sounding like a huckster there, surprise surprise.
>>
>>7837181
It's tautological.

>>7837173
This. I've only read a translation of metabeetle but I was by no means blown away. Nor have I rushed to read his other works. I'm probably just a pleb.

What's Kafka's best work? The Trial?
>>
>>7837217

Start with the complete short stories.
>>
>>7837225
Seeing as I happen to own a copy I shall so do. And after?
>>
>>7837240

Read that first, then the novels. The Castle will be the toughest, start with The Trial, then The Castle, then America (as my copy is called).
>>
>>7837251
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>7837272

You're welcome, happy reading!
>>
>>7837181
"Unique" is also used solo, because it already implies any superlative you can latch onto it. Every unique thing is already "utterly unique."
>>
>>7837160
I didn't say that it's John the Green who said it, but merely implied it. I really did want to know what people think of it, and play with the "What did he mean by this" trope.
>>
>>7837180
Very well done
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.