[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What book holds the dearest memories for you /lit/fags? Mine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: 9780141185620.jpg (411 KB, 1456x2244) Image search: [Google]
9780141185620.jpg
411 KB, 1456x2244
What book holds the dearest memories for you /lit/fags? Mine is pic related.

>inb4 underage fag
>>
>>7835474
Proud to be redpilled
>>
probably one of the best children's books tbqh

if we're going to have literal threads about literal children's books, i'd rather it this than artemis fowl or goosebumps. yuck.
>>
The Cay
>>
Anything by Frances Hodgson Burnett. In all honesty, I can still read her books and have my breath taken away. Her characters are so goddamn lonely and always turn into the inner world of fantasy, almost to the point of psychosis. The way they always talk to themselves to try to stay positive gets me. There's a scene in A Little Princess where the girl screams at her wooden doll because it's not real...

One of these nights, when she came up to the attic cold and hungry, with a tempest raging in her young breast, Emily's stare seemed so vacant, her sawdust legs and arms so inexpressive, that Sara lost all control over herself. There was nobody but Emily—no one in the world. And there she sat.

"I shall die presently," she said at first.

Emily simply stared.

"I can't bear this," said the poor child, trembling. "I know I shall die. I'm cold; I'm wet; I'm starving to death. I've walked a thousand miles today, and they have done nothing but scold me from morning until night. And because I could not find that last thing the cook sent me for, they would not give me any supper. Some men laughed at me because my old shoes made me slip down in the mud. I'm covered with mud now. And they laughed. Do you hear?"

She looked at the staring glass eyes and complacent face, and suddenly a sort of heartbroken rage seized her. She lifted her little savage hand and knocked Emily off the chair, bursting into a passion of sobbing—Sara who never cried.

"You are nothing but a DOLL!" she cried. "Nothing but a doll—doll—doll! You care for nothing. You are stuffed with sawdust. You never had a heart. Nothing could ever make you feel. You are a DOLL!" Emily lay on the floor, with her legs ignominiously doubled up over her head, and a new flat place on the end of her nose; but she was calm, even dignified. Sara hid her face in her arms. The rats in the wall began to fight and bite each other and squeak and scramble. Melchisedec was chastising some of his family.

Sara's sobs gradually quieted themselves. It was so unlike her to break down that she was surprised at herself. After a while she raised her face and looked at Emily, who seemed to be gazing at her round the side of one angle, and, somehow, by this time actually with a kind of glassy-eyed sympathy. Sara bent and picked her up. Remorse overtook her. She even smiled at herself a very little smile.

"You can't help being a doll," she said with a resigned sigh, "any more than Lavinia and Jessie can help not having any sense. We are not all made alike. Perhaps you do your sawdust best." And she kissed her and shook her clothes straight, and put her back upon her chair.
>>
"Loser" by Jerry Spinelli
>>
Neverending Story is as good as it gets
>>
>>7835487
Great book.

For me, Indian in the cupboard
>>
File: Roald-Dahl-Books.jpg (275 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Roald-Dahl-Books.jpg
275 KB, 500x500
Anything in this pic, but especially Danny The Champion of The World
Or
BFG
Or
James & The Giant Peach

First books I actually remember it seemed cool to say you read, and you were an outcast if you hadn't read them...
>>
>>7835477
uh huh
>>
The Outsiders for sheer nostalgia.

Sideways Stories from Wayside School for value to me. It showed me that real emotion could be drawn from a book (humor) and that reading could be fun. In essence, that was the book that sealed my destiny as a reader.
>>
The Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time broke my heart when I first read it and was the first book that I read for myself outside of class. I'm sure that if I re-read it again, I'll feel the exact same way.
>>
File: NothingLiketheSun.jpg (2 MB, 1004x1532) Image search: [Google]
NothingLiketheSun.jpg
2 MB, 1004x1532
>>7835474

I love this book.

The William Shakespeare that is presented here is my personal hero.

A master of the wisdom contained in resignation and acceptance, and also a divine poet who doesn’t seem to feel great pride in his own miraculous work.
>>
>>7835844
This. The number of times I read Matilda is obscene.
>>
one of the best books ever written in human history
>>
Was read this almost every night. Chidhood was a time of non depressing, stressfree memories
>>
File: I wanna iguana.jpg (37 KB, 400x319) Image search: [Google]
I wanna iguana.jpg
37 KB, 400x319
>>7836281
forgot pic
>>
Tintin and asterix were it, man. Also Calvin and Hobbes although I didn't fully understand the philosophy one back then.

Even my dad had read tintin and asterix, and it were his physical copies that I had read. He had saved up to buy them and then to be made into hardcover. Still have them all but sadly termites have eaten some of it, they're that old.
>>
The Red and the Black

Sorrows of Young Werther

Martin Eden
>>
Where the Red Fern Grows
>>7835474
>>7835575
>>7835915
>>7836133
All of these too
>>
>>7835474
The first book I ever saved up and bought and then read on my own was an Animorphs one. Moved onto the whole series.

Will always be special to me.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.