[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sub-vocalization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1456777128977.jpg (42 KB, 706x960) Image search: [Google]
1456777128977.jpg
42 KB, 706x960
I just can't seem to stop. I average about 185 wmp and cap at around 220. I love reading, but when I'm reading what seems like a chapter an hour (currently reading Christianit: The First 3000 Year) it makes it impractical for me to fit ~1000 page books I'd like to read into my schedule during classes and retain the information from leasiurr reading sessions. My question put simply is there a way to increase my reading speed through the removal of subvocalization? And how?
>>
>>7835192
kill yourself
>>
>>7835192
Learning to type might be a good starting point
>>
>>7835192
>subvocalization
is that when you whisper what you read?
Why don't you just stop doing it, and see how far you get?
Hell, tape your mouth shut.
>>
>>7835576
Subvocalization happens in your mind, not the mouth. It's the sound you hear in your brain reading out loud what you are reading.
>>
you can't remove subvocalization, it is a meme
>>
>>7835192
https://www.squirt.io/

Try using squirt. Don't bother setting it past 300 wpm, even setting it to 250 would be an improvement for you. I've read some things on project gutenberg with it set above 400 wpm, it works really well except dialogue can be confusing.
>>
Practice just looking at a line of text and scim across it. Do it fast and try to figure out what it said.

I pretty much subvocalize half a line of text and "hover" over the other half.

Of course not subvocalizing is easier the more familiar you are with the words. Not subvocalizing while reading Ulysses, for example, would be extremely difficult
>>
>>7835712
This was pretty useful, thanks.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.