[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Effective reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
People usually don't read multiple books (3+) simultaneously because its difficult to truly digest the subject matter if you do. Simultaneously as in switching back and forth, perhaps after a few chapters of either of the books. Same applies to me; I usually just read three books, and ensure that they're all different genres so that I can use separate areas of thinking (not literally but kinda idk) to process each of them effectively.

What's a good combination of patrician genres, as to cumulate to 3, that's good/or what you use?

I think my current combination is slightly overlapping, although not explicitly. What's a better combination? I'm currently switching between philosophy, history, and fiction (philosophical fiction)
>>
>>7835088
bunp
>>
File: image.jpg (433 KB, 1484x1174) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
433 KB, 1484x1174
I usually read one fiction, one historical/biographical/autobiographical, and one "study" book, such as The History of Western Philosophy.
>>
i'm combining entry level lit theory with novels and essays.
>>
>>7835088
>simultaneously

I don't do that because i have one set of eyes, which work best when stereoscopic vision is trained on one book.

Even reading two books at the same time would require each eye to read two pages at the same time.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I assume you mean switching between books.
I'll tell you why I don't do it - because it's autistic.

And that's coming from an autist...
>>
>>7835088
That's not true simultaenousness. I usually have a paper book open on my desk and one on a table/e-reader and read them both at the same time. You get used to it after a while and it works really well. Super efficient.
>>
I don't have set parameters, but I've never had any problems "truly digest[ing] the subject matter". I also often read more than three things simultaneously. Right now, for instance, I am reading Sophocles' plays, Macbeth (a reread), a book on reading comprehension strategies (for use in my job as a teacher), Steinbeck's The Red Pony, the remaining short stories of Kafka I've not previously read, and a book on the I Ching.
>>
>>7835243
Oh, I also tend to read bits of various religious texts as part of my routines when I first get up in the morning and/or when I go to bed.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.