[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gravity's Rainbow Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: GR.jpg (9 KB, 160x234) Image search: [Google]
GR.jpg
9 KB, 160x234
So I just finished GR and compared to the rest of the novel that ending was bleak. But I'm left wondering at the whole overarching meaning of it all besides DUDE WEED LMAO. What was Pynchon's purpose in writing this behemoth? That being said I enjoyed it immensely. I've read Inherent Vice, V., The Crying of Lot 49, and I believe this is my favorite Pynchon novel. Also what was the exact purpose and cause in Slothrop's dispersal. Anyway GR discussion and appreciation thread.
>>
technology brining us to a globalized state of perpetual war
there is no conspiracy but there are many conspiracies all moving parts in a larger machine that ends in our death

blicero goes beyond the zero (recall opening epigraph) in his sacrificial launching of the 00000
>>
>>7833675
GR was a lot like a hard trip for me. Nothing fully resolved, hallucinatory images, but the overall impression was of something really dark gathering that breaks apart anything that tries to stand in its way. Slothrop and the counterforce both fall apart as soon as they get near the truth about the mil-industrial machine they're trying to resist, so as far as a purpose for Slothrop's dispersal I think it's supposed to parallel the dispersal of the counterforce.
>>
>>7833748
i agree with this except that the point is there is no 'truth'
the book is a wild goose chase for one renegade nazi's spiritual-sexual performance
there is no evil secret because the evil truth is right in front of everyone's eyes. slothrop himself is part of the military industrial complex. it is people like slothrop and mexico and tantivy and pirate that let the atom bomb be dropped.

one of the most poignant scenes in the book is mexico's slapstick revenge that ends in pissing on pointsman's board members. that's the end product of the whole rebellion. that's the counterforce. pointsman, a broken man of little influence anymore, pissing on his board members, not even HIM, and that's it.

“You may never get to touch the Master, but you can tickle his creatures.”
>>
>>7833764
sorry, to clarify, 'truth' as in secret truth
the only truth is all aroudn
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.