[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck this book!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 192x263) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 192x263
Fuck this book so fucking hard! This is the driest (no pun intended), most lifeless fucking thing I've ever tried to read. I can't even get more than five five pages without having to go back and reread because I suddenly realized my eyes have just been going over the words without absorbing any of this because my brains busy thinking about more interesting shit, like if i should do the laundry.

Stereo instructions have more gripping writing. Don't even get me started on the constant unnecessary inner dialogues that fill 60% of the book, 90% of which is completely unnecessary. Yes, sometimes we need to know what the characters are thinking, most of the time we don't need two pages of the characters detailed thoughts telling us what we can infer on our own.

How is this considered a Sci-Fi classic?
>>
Please, no girls allowed on /lit/.
>>
Because sci-fi is a shitty genre.
>>
>>7832362
>>7832364
>>7832368

Nu-/lit/ in a nutshell.
>>
File: whit.jpg (59 KB, 566x553) Image search: [Google]
whit.jpg
59 KB, 566x553
>>7832362
You disgust me.
>>
I agree with op; it's pseudo-literary garbage.
>>
Read The Hunger Games and fuck off.
>>
The sequel is better.
>>
>>7832362
Go read YA fiction OP
>>
>>7832386
My tasteless garbage is better than your tasteless garbage.

Me: WORMS ERUPTING FROM DUNES
You: SOME HUNGRY GAMERS

Like comment and subscribe if you agree! ! ! : D :D : D : D :
>>
>>7832362

Are you """Dune""" with dis book?

Get it?

Guise?
>>
>>7832429
Yeah now I'm dune your mom
>>
>>7832386
>pseudo-literary
Okay, now may you explain that term to us, Mr Pseudo-Intellectual?
>>
>>7832362
I had the same reaction when I read this years ago. I plan to embark on a second reading soon, to see if I like it any better.
>>
>>7832480
Herbert's writing is much less dry and more character-driven in the last two novels, so if you really can't take it and don't mind huge spoilers start there instead, then go back to find out what happened.

The fourth book will be death itself, though. Everything wrong with Dune with nothing that went right save a few couple scenes. It's there mostly to serve as a bridge between the original 3 and the last 2.
>>
>>7832494
Heretics and chapter house are more character driven?
Compared to the original three how good are they?
>>
>>7832569
Heretics is probably better than Children of Dune or even Messiah. Chapterhouse is less well-written but is a fairly good finale except for the part about Face Dancers that discovered new applications of the Holtzmann effect and somehow caused the Honored Matres to flee black to the Old Imperium.
>>
>>7832429
turns out
there's three of them!
dune dune dune!!!

:^/
>>
>>7832386
>pseudo-literary
But how? Dune doesn’t even try to be literary.
>>
>>7832362
I read the whole thing in only a couple of days. I didn't like it but it was easy as shit. Get good.
>>
>>7832362
This book is fantastic. Part two is dreadfully slow, but part 3 picks up.
>>
>>7832362
Dune's great.

Go fuck yourself.

Your taste is shite.

get gud.
>>
>>7834697
this desu
>>
>>7832362
"Literally better than anything you will ever do with your fungal cum-rag of a life."

-From "Maud'dib tells to OP like it is" by Princess Irulan
>>
>>7834697
go read real authors like DFW
>>
>>7834706
I do, Cuck-Lord it's called being "widely read" and "not being a slave to the mossy clit of this board's opinion"
>>
File: attachment.jpg (81 KB, 396x382) Image search: [Google]
attachment.jpg
81 KB, 396x382
>>
>>7832362
fuck yo couch nigga
>>
> mfw /lit/ likes Dune but shits on ASOIAF.
Contrarian cunts.
>>
>>7834714
This. Fuck you OP.
>>
I read it awhile ago.

It's okay. I didn't like it since it assumed that people just follow the zeitgeist (not that they don't, but that was the core focus of the book. I think a better analysis of the theme would look at how the zeitgeist influences an ordinary individual from their perspective. All the main characters were central to the plot. A perspective of someone who's caught up in the 'jihad' (he has a very simplistic analysis of Islam, and I found that frustrating) and how it actually molds their individual psychology would be really cool. The main characters a superman.).
>>
>>7832405
This desu.
>>7834940
But ASOIAF is just bad. His prose is awkward and bland, and literally the only idea Martin presents is
>what if, like, the good guys LOSE? JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!!!!
On top of that, his characters usually just act as fonts of witty dialogue. They're entertaining, but none feel terribly realistic.
>implying I didn't just take easy bait
>>7834980
>A perspective of someone who's caught up in the 'jihad' (he has a very simplistic analysis of Islam, and I found that frustrating) and how it actually molds their individual psychology would be really cool. The main characters a superman.).
Anyone know any books like this? I have the same complaints about Dune.
>>
>>7832617
Honestly didn't expect such a quick response, thanks matey.
Honestly started reading some other books while I wait for children of dune to come in the mail.
>>
>>7832362
If Dune is the driest book you have ever read, you clearly haven't read much yet, my ickle m8.
>>
>>7832364
kek.

How's my laundry doing?
>>
>>7834705
8/10
>>
People jack off to Dune for being "oh so unique and novel and original" when all Herbert really did was just take the origin story of Mohammed and early Islam and retell it in a space sci-fi context.

Fucking hack.
>>
>>7832362
>someone starts a Dune thread by criticising what actually needs to be criticised, ie the writing
Impressive. Usually these threads start with 'Paul OP pls nerf' or 'nothing's happening' or 'I hate sand'.

>>7832368
Harsh but broadly fair. I'm sure there's also good stuff out there, but if you're used to well-written prose, a lot of 'classic' scifi is likely to be fairly intolerable.
>>
>>7834705
dam nice
>>
>>7834705
You are now manually aware that Irulan is an anagram of urinal.
>>
>>7836854
You are now aware T.S. Eliot is an anagram of Toilets
>>
>>7836428
islam shit was garbage herbert elevated it into art

further proof white people improve everything from other cultures and are the undisputed master race
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.