[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
has anyone actually read this shit? literally nothing happens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 46114.jpg (24 KB, 310x475) Image search: [Google]
46114.jpg
24 KB, 310x475
has anyone actually read this shit?
literally nothing happens
>>
>>7830398
>literally nothing happens
1. false
2. what's your point?
>>
I swear i've seen this exact thread before

what's your game, op
>>
>reading for plot
>>
i enjoyed it for the most part but the ending pissed me the fuck off
>>
>>7830437
When will pseuds realize that reading for plot is just as dumb as reading for prose?
>>
there's less plot in to the lighthouse
>>
They were all extensions of Bernard .. right? It's just Bernard and Percival who are real? A-and Bernard is a stand-in for Woolf?
>>
>>7830784
It's not a fucking riddle mate. None of them are real and all of them spring from her mine.
>>
>>7830511

I don't agree that a lack of action equates to a lack of plot.
>>
Look, I thought it was gorgeous, just something that I barely understood. Maybe I'm just too dumb. All of the anecdotes and stories I found really beautiful, and by the end I kinda had a vague idea of who was who.

I kinda interpreted Percival on the flea bitten mare who [spoilers]died[/spoilers] in India as an emotional allegory for England's colonialism just killing young men in their prime and overall making the culture of England weaker. Does anyone else have any thoughts on Percival's part in the story? Was this just my imagination?
>>
>>7831593
Percival is the excluded center
>>
>>7830449
Hmm... why not fucking both?
>>
>>7830511
help me understand it
>>
>>7830511
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that an essay? Or am I confusing that with another Wolfe book?
>>
The plot occurs within the characters' mind, shithead.

Oh by the way,
>reading for the story...
>>
>>7831721
It doesn't just occur in the character's minds, does it? It's narrated from their minds but we clearly get a view on the things happening on the outside, often things observed and experienced by several of them. I guess you could go all meta and say our minds are all helplessly cut off from the reality of things so literally nothing could be happening. The usual brains in a jar. But I think that's a bit too much for a thread complaint about muh plot.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.