[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your favorite kinds of elves?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Galadriel_recieves_the_Ring.png (353 KB, 1280x528) Image search: [Google]
Galadriel_recieves_the_Ring.png
353 KB, 1280x528
What are your favorite kinds of elves?
>>
cate blanchette elves
>>
teleri
>>
dead ones
>>
How is this acceptable in the fantasy genre? If sci-fi writers consistently put in Vulcans and Klingons and said "oh no I'm totally not ripping off Star Trek, I'm just using tropes and keeping the names the same so that readers can relate to what I'm writing" there would be outrage at how ossified and creatively bankrupt the genre had become.
>>
>>7829685
Aren't elves inspired/taken from nordic legends or something?
>>
>>7829685
Do you think Tolkein invented elves?
>>
>>7829694
The elves in Nordic legends are tiny Christmas elves. Tolkien took nothing but the name, and every 'fantasy' writer after him copied either directly from Tolkien or via D&D.
>>
>>7829605
dark elf dickgirls from WoW
>>
>>7829685
Regardless of the origin of the matter [see: >>7829694; >>7829701], isn't part of the allure of reading genre-based fiction the conventionality? I think if you're going to demand originality in character type (a derivative of setting) then equally you must demand originality in all of the other components of the writing, at which point it ceases to really be considered belonging to the genre any longer.
>>
>>7829721
True, and yet every sci-fi author is able to come up with his own aliens. Many are derivative, but none are outright copied wholesale with not even the name changed.
>>
>>7829605
eroge elfs
>>
>>7829706

I don't think Tolkien is solely responsible for the modern elf stereotype. I've not idea where short, pointy eared and longbows wielding elves that got connected to him, came from.
>>
File: Carol.gif (2 MB, 429x270) Image search: [Google]
Carol.gif
2 MB, 429x270
>>7829619
Best answer.

>>7829685
Fantasy is politically reactionary, rightwing. It's a nostalgia trip for the reader. To Tolkien to old folklore and mythology when things where magical and vibrant. Rehashing concepts is natural for it.

Science fiction is about looking forward, realistically or not, it's the dream of the future. Or dystopian nightmare. Rehashing concepts happens, but a good author will try to avoid the cliché if possible.

These are just tendencies
>>
Bosmer
>>
File: 1451273218002.png (124 KB, 380x353) Image search: [Google]
1451273218002.png
124 KB, 380x353
>>7830497
well look who ...
i thought you were too good for this place now
(why even use the name?)
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.