[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>haven't read an unassigned book since the 12th grade
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
>haven't read an unassigned book since the 12th grade
>every time I try to get into a book, I lose interest
>tfw I've lost the attention span to pay attention to anything that isn't a comic book or a manga
What happened to me?

How do I get back into books, /lit/?
>>
Read Nine Stories
>>
Try light novels. They're like manga, but with words. Kino's Journey is decently literary and a good place to start. You may also want to look into Fate/Zero, and Welcome to the NHK.
>>
>>7828725
I already saw their anime adaptations. Are the light novels different?
>>
>>7828725
>>7828737
of Fate/Zero and NHK I mean.
>>
>>7828737
There are quite a few Kino's Journey stories that were never animated. The NHK book is darker and dirtier. Fate/Zero is pretty much the same if I recall. But even if they were all identical, I would recommend reading them anyway, since it will get you used to reading again in a comfy, non-threatening manner.
>>
>>7828746
That's true. I'll be honest, I've never been into many light novels other than Purple Haze Feedback, but I can give those a try
>>
>2 pages into Do Androids Dream of Electornic Sheep
it's so bad
>>
>>7828765
>tfw my gf let me borrow that book because I love Blade Runner
>havent read past chapter 2
It's not that bad
>>
File: pepe.jpg (49 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
49 KB, 463x325
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>7828824
good tips, thanks!
>>
leave the book on your nightstand and read a chapter every night before you go to sleep
>>
>>7829229

Nah, this just trains you to go to sleep when you start reading a book (at least it did for me). Just set aside some allotted time and read 10-15 pages at a time
>>
>>7828824
Honestly buying books was the best way to get into books for me. I used to just borrow books via library and never really bother to read them except for a few pages.
>>
>>7828767
it's too cheesy for this time
>>
>>7829329
that's because it's a pulp noir detective novel, not a faggity jap cartoon, kill urself
>>
>>7829339
I'll dial 594 on your console you bitch
>>
>>7828715
why do you want to read books if you don't enjoy it?
>>
>>7829399
I never said I didn't enjoy books
>>
>>7829399
he's a canoncuck
>>
>>7828824
kek
>>
>>7829229
do not do this
>>
>>7828715
How's 13th grade working for you?
>>
>>7830401
I got a C in PE so I think its going great famigo
>>
>>7828725
OP here. Any more light novels? Im having trouble finding Kino's Journey
>>
>>7831027
Haruhi Suzumiya
Welcome to the NHK
>>
>>7831134
More that I forgot

Baccano
Durarara
>>
>>7831027
>>7831134
>>7831141
And one more, visual novels. Potentially heavier reading but accompanied by visuals and music. Higurashi and Umineko were very good.
>>
>>7828724
Salniger?
>>
>>7831134
I was looking at Haruhi. Does it go beyond the anime?
>>
>get back into books
Were you ever actually into literature? I hear people say this all the time when really they just mean they used to read childish scifi/fantasy and grew out of that but never had the interest in literature enough to keep on reading with serious literary fiction.

It seems to me most people who need to 'get back into books' were never into the kind of stuff they're now trying to read to begin with.

There is nothing of a return to growing out of Lord of The Rings and years later picking up Tolstoy.
>>
>>7831220
Yes, the novels go quite a bit ahead, but they seem to be on indefinite hiatus now.
>>
>>7831375
Thats great. Thanks!
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.