[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's that novel you've been working on?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: i_wanna.jpg (25 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
i_wanna.jpg
25 KB, 321x322
How's that novel you've been working on?
>>
File: 0FszGj7.jpg.png (342 KB, 666x960) Image search: [Google]
0FszGj7.jpg.png
342 KB, 666x960
Good, thanks. I've got all the outlining done and I've made a solid start on the actual writing. The prose is a poetic mess so far so I'll have a lot of fun sorting it out. How's yours?
>>
i wish i were a cute girl's dog i'd lick her in inappropriate places while we were alone together until she relented
>>
>>7828278

You post all over R9K. You use that photo everywhere.
>>
It's going alright. Just trying to establish some settings and scenery
>>
>>7828284
Mine is going nicely. It had started off as a screenplay but as I went on with the story I noticed that it didn't quite fit well so I moved in to a novel and its flowing nicely.
>>
>>7828326
Cool. What's it about?
>>
>>7828329
A father who's trying to relive his glory days back in high school and college but is having to face reality by setting a good example for his kid. Kinda hard to describe cause the way it's structure is very non linear. What about yours?
>>
Trying to play with the idea of death but don't have a concrete idea yet
>>
>>7828342
That sounds like it could be interesting. I hope he wasn't an american football player or making his son be one though, that's incredibly overdone.
Nah I'm done talking about mine on here. I need to work on it more before splurging about it.
>>
>>7828352
Nah I am doing my best to keep it original as possible.
>>
>>7828357
Good, although don't overdo it. Needs to be relateable. Good luck.
>>
>>7828375
Will do. Good luck with yours too
>>
>>7828382
Thanks.
>>
File: 1311190388805.gif (459 KB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
1311190388805.gif
459 KB, 384x288
>>7828278
>mfw I study history and literature at Oxford
>mfw I'm confronted with all the talented writers at my University
>mfw I will always be the person who reads, never the one who is read

why even continue with this life
>>
>>7828406
you posted this in several other threads
>>
Niggers
>>
>>7828439

this is the second time I ever posted this, stop talking out of your ass
>>
The novel is antiquated as a medium of artistic expression.

Real writers focus on blogs and tumblr comments.
>>
Halfway done. I can only write ~1000 words in one sitting before my head starts to hurt and I feel like I'm pushing through sand
>>
I started my novel where my main characted gets abused emotionally and made to feel like shit every day by his peers and relatives. For some reason I decided to give him a 'power' (but he can't trigger it by himself and never manages to help himself with it). Now though, I think that was a gayass idea and want to get rid of it, but the amount of text i'd have to rewrite is discouraging.
>>
>>7828696
Whats his special ability? What nen type is he?
>>
>>7828703
the cosmic forces have given him the ability to stop time for a bit. however, since they are also fucking with him (like everyone else), his ability can only trigger involuntarily and only when he is receiving unseen before levels of abuse.
>>
>>7828278
This seems as appropriate a place as any to do this.

MODS, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PERMA-BAN ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>7828745
just post some cp
>>
Written about 300 words of stuff that's supposed to happen in the novels later chapters. Don't even have real characters, just a grumpy trader and a young adventurer. Do I just give up /lit/ anything you recommend I check out to help me get some structure going?
>>
>>7828756
>structure
just do what you want famalam
>>
>>7828756
Writing the Breakout Novel
>>
>>7828278
Fucking shat all over it last night.

Don't know what do
>>
Can't think of anything
>>
>>7828278
going pretty well, thanks for asking. i'm presently 25,000 words in. i started in February and hope to complete a first draft by summer, if life things go smoothly. my first novel was sidetracked for a good half year due to unforeseen life stuff. i finished it though and am now seeking an agent. anyways, the one i'm working on shouldn't be more than 90,000 words and is about a hospice nurse who is haunted by her long dead twin, whom she feels responsible for her death when they were children. it's suspense/horror and slightly more commercial than my first one, which was crime oriented and 115,000 words in length.
>>
>>7828756
read Stephen King's On Writing. it gives you sound advice, nothing extravagant, which is what aspiring novelists need more than rules on how to structure, create characters, or setting. you'll find a way to do that on your own because the only law in creative writing is Do Whatever Works for You.
>>
>>7828278
keep procrastinating because it's difficult
>>
>>7828614
1000 words a sitting is not bad at all if you maintain a strict schedule of doing so every day. after three months you'll have a draft if it's moderate in length. i write 1,000-1,500/day and sometimes more. keep on trucking, mate.
>>
>>7828461

why would you post this more than once? are we supposed to be impressed by your unsubtle humblebrag?
>>
J
>>
Waiting for some more critique before I continue writing it. Asking my friend for some prompts to write some stuff for fun and practice in the meantime.
>>
How
>>
>>7828297
>you will never be a qt girl's dog who fucks her and gives the best possible companionship
JUST
>>
Is it ok to have an amount of words as a goal? Or just simply stop writting when I feel like it?
>>
>>7830172
i think that's a bit silly. just try to write as best as you can. 100 great words is better than 1000 ok ones, you know? good luck
>>
Btw, has gaskun released his first tome yet?
>>
finished, proofed, submitted to about a dozen publishers and agents, completely ignored, swept under the rug and forgotten for the most part.

i occasionally read it and giggle and then weep over the good parts, to remind me to not be such a fucking idiot ever again.
>>
File: tuh06.gif (164 KB, 750x457) Image search: [Google]
tuh06.gif
164 KB, 750x457
>>7830172
you stop writing when the story has been told.
>>
>>7830172
don't listen to the other anons. yes, it's okay to have a goal pertaining to length/word count. especially if you're a first time or aspiring writer/novelist. not only will it give you a handle on craft, it will also give you the experience needed to cultivate your own style. if you're going the non-fiction route, either advertising, academic writing, or journalism, word count is essential. when you familiarize yourself with it, you'll be better able to judge how much you can fit into a word count.
>>
>>7830234
what was it about?
>>
>>7830172
A period of time is much better, but you have to absolutely trust yourself to work to your full potential during that period of time.
>>
>>7828278
I gave up on it... again...

I'll never be able to devote the proper time and attention to a full novel when I barely finish half my short stories. I still have two WIPS that I need to finish and another I want to get to that I have no idea how to make heartwarming or tragic
>>
14,000 words. It's an erotic adventure story set in a Pacific Ocean so polluted it's become solid sludge, following a sexually-frustrated former male prostitute and the seventeen year old girl he wants to bang as they adventure through a world of tentacles, slime-based aphrodisiacs, alcohol, drugs and phallic body modifications in order to stop Elliot Rodgers/pol/ from taking over the world.

It's fun.
>>
>>7830717
>period of time
Don't ever write anything, please.
>>
I've got most of it conceptually mapped out, plus I always get drunk drunk and write intercalary excerpts and important scenes, which I'll include in the writing process. But the official writing process won't begin until I've finished my self-assign reading list of about 60. Mostly for perspective, inspiration and research. (Also, fuck the Oxford comma, f.a.m.)
>>
>>7828278
Not working on a novel. Doing a 3 part poem since....November? Still editing, ideas come to me at the worst of time (at work and what not).

Waiting til May to submit it.
>>
im just gonna publish a book of blank pages and call it post-post-post-modrn
>>
>>7830768
Writing by number of words will most likely just lead to blasting out garbage at the end to meet your quota. When you're stuck there until your time is up, no matter how much or little you write, you're going to end up doing your best anyway.
>>
>>7828696
never be afraid to throw away text, anon, especially not in the age of .git and cloud storage
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.