[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can't decide which book to read. Help me out lit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 500x500
Can't decide which book to read. Help me out lit
>>
>>7828030
Satantango by Laszlo Krasznahorkai. Do it faggot.
>>
anyone have any theories about why lit got so shit in the last year or two? did all the smart ppl go to reddit or something? or is it just because universities are in session and once it's summer the grad students will come back and save us from this boring parade of resentful neetshit
>>
>>7828035
why?
>>
>>7828162
Why not? It's the shit. I posted an excerpt in another thread but I'll do it here too if you want.

"he felt to weak to halt by himself the triumphal progress of the wrecking process, however he might try, there being nothing he could do in the face of the power that ruined houses, walls, tress and fields, the birds that divided from their high stations, the beasts that scurried forth, and all the human bodies, desires and hopes, knowing he wouldn't, in any case, have the strength, however he tried, to resist this treacherous assault on humanity; and knowing this, he understood, just in time, that the best he could do was to use his memory to fend off the sinister, underhanded process of decay, trusting in the fact that since all that mason might build, carpenter might construct, woman might stitch, indeed all that men and women had brought forth with bitter tears was bound to turn to an undifferentiated, runny, underground, mysteriously ordained mush, his memory would remain lively and clear, right until his organs surrendered and 'conformed to the contract whereby their business affairs were wound up', that is to say until his bones and flesh fell prey to the vultures hovering over death and decay. He decided to watch everything very carefully and to record it constantly, all with the aim of not missing the smallest detail, because he realized with a shock that to ignore the apparently insignificant was to admit that one was condemned to sit defenseless on the parapet connecting the rising and falling members of the bridge between chaos and comprehensible order. However apparently insignificant the event, whiter it be the ring of tobacco ash surrounding the table, the direction from which the wild geese first appeared, or a series of seemingly meaningless human movements, he couldn't afford to task his eyes off it and must note it all down, since only by doing do could he hope not to vanish one day and fall a silent captive to the infernal arrangement whereby the wold decomposes but is at the same time constantly in the process of self-construction. It was not, however, enough to remember things conscientiously: that 'was insufficient in itself', not up to the task: one had to compile and comprehend such signs as still remained in order to discover the means whereby the perfectly maintained memory's sphere of influence might be extended and sustained over a period."
>>
>>7828030

I hate this normie bullshit like OP's quote, from the Greeks --- regardless of the accuracy of the attributions (quotes are notoriously misattributed, in general). But you all know the type of thing I'm talking about.

>for he is the marble and le sculptor xD
>for a good life, u have to have friends brah xD
>u should work out brah le mental and le physical excellence if u don't work out u suck xD

Happily, they left behind better material: mathematical autism, prescient misogyny (assemblywomen, lysistrata), and the edgy legends of diogenes' life, and socrates' death.
>>
Thinking fast and slow, the best one I had this year.
>>
>>7828036
We're all on Goodreads
>>
That plato quote should be someone's suicide note
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.