[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where to start with the greeks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
Where to start with the greeks?
>>
The Republic
>>
THALES OR HERODOTUS OR HOMER
>>
i skipped the greeks and im doing fine
>>
>>7827166
No, you're not.
>>
The beginning
>>
>>7827177
uh, actually i am. I don't need to read abunch of boy bangers to be good at literature.
>>
>>7827166
No, you're not.
>>
>>7827155
Read Homer, but skip the nerds.
>>
>>7827267
No, you're not.
>>
>>7827273
i don't give a shit about philosophy, especially wrong philosophy, i'm only into art, so fuck off nerdo
>>
>>7827277
philosophy isn't art?
>>
>>7827277
>plato
>not an artist

My nigga he's the literal prose master
>>
>>7827281
philosophy is autism
>>
>>7827155
i started like this

iliad-->odyssey-->prometheus bound-->couple of euripedes plays-->couple of aristophanes plays-->brushed up on some presocratics-->plato-->aristotle--->then read deeper into some fringe greek/roman philosophers (stoics, cynics, etc)
>>
>>7827199

>not banging boys
>pretending to be smart
>>
>>7827277
>Platos philosophy is wrong
wew lad. i guess this means all western philosophy is wrong because its all rooted in plato
>>
>>7827277
>the greeks are solely useful in philosophy
Oh m8, you're not doing fine, not at all.
>>
>>7827166
No you're not
>>
>>7827199
True Greek pederasty did not involve penetration, but a mentor/student relationship of affection between an older man and a young male of citizen status, which did on occasion result in heavy petting but not penetration, as that would result in a loss of face and blood feud. The greeks, when they did penetrate others, practiced object based sexuality, IE a citizen>a slave, male or female, so the gender is irrelevant. If a citizen got buttfucked by a slave, he would suffer dishonor and a loss of face. Your lack of knowledge on the matter is disgusting.

Also, no, you're not.
>>
>>7827155
I say plow through the histories like Thucydides and and Herodotus, and then the Roman era authors like Dio Cassius and Plutarch, until Josephus. Then, Plato, Xenophon etc. Then, you can start reading plays.
>>
>>7827166
No, you're not.
>>
>>7827282
>prose master
Implying you read his work as it was written.
>>
>>7827166
I commend you.
>>
>>7827158
No. No no no.
>>
>>7827155
Herodotus, then Homer.
>>
>>7827166
I believe you m8. Fuck those greeks.
>>
>>7827633
>>7827633
Fuk u nigga
>>
>>7827653
Nigga, are you telling me to fuk myself?
>>
>>7827439
Dio and Josephus are, relatively speaking, minor Roman historians, and Plutarch is more biography than history.

Livy and Polybius for Rome through the Punic wars, Appian to transition into the civil wars, parts of Dio for the transition to empire, Tacitus for the early empire, Suetonius for that same period as more character sketch of the emperors than history. Primary sources get messy after that. Fragments of Dio, Marcellinus, and the Augustan History.

Josephus could be cool if you take a specific interest in Jewish history, and I'm considering reading him myself, but in the scheme of the empire as a whole, especially as seen by primary sources, the Jews are rarely more than a footnote.

Also why would you read Rome then return to Xenophon and Plato when Xenophon's main text is a direct continuation of Thucydides?
>>
Start with the Hebrews, the Greeks are shit
>>
>>7827155
Who is this handsome man? Is he single?
>>
>>7828041
>handsome man
>man

that's actually a bull dyke
>>
start with the greeks
>>
>not starting with the akkadian myth
We need to stop this meme
>>
>>7828041
'fraid he's taken.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.