[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much does smoking improve your writing? Is it worth it for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11
File: steinbeck.jpg (43 KB, 475x574) Image search: [Google]
steinbeck.jpg
43 KB, 475x574
How much does smoking improve your writing? Is it worth it for the ladies and the "thoughtful writer" image that you might get from it?
>>
File: YODJI-5-003_f1-copy.jpg (658 KB, 980x1266) Image search: [Google]
YODJI-5-003_f1-copy.jpg
658 KB, 980x1266
Please don't. Take it from an ex.idiot who went that rout of trying to make an image of that cool artsy guy.
You will get addicted to it faster than you know
You will spend thousands on cigarettes
It will be a pain in the ass to quit
Most aren't able to ever quit
You will destroy your body with that bullshit
Nothing external is worth risking your health for

Please take this from somebody who was a smoker for 2 years starting when i was 19 and naive.

Or just do it you will do whatever you want to anyways. Look at this pic doesn't he look cool?
>>
I wish i had your clean lungs OP :(

Don't become one of us
>>
You can if you want to. Smoking kills the same amount of people every year as being fat. I'll stop smoking when they put pictures of dead fat kids on KFC buckets.

It won't help your writing abilities though.
>>
>>7826737
This. Smoked for five years from 3 cigs day to 6 to 12 and now ive tried to quit i catch myself craving or buying a pack or smoking sneakily one fag every other day.

I will say this however. Since i quit, my writing has slumped and my progress has decreased. I used to write so many notes on my smoking breaks that i would feed off of when typing. I tried to replace it with coffee and went around on 6 cups a day. Didnt feel the benefit nor the caffeine. Its why I've allowed myself to slip. Writers block for three months sucks. Doesnt help my gf is a worse smoker then i ever was and she caught the habit crashing cigarettes of me ;_;

Don't be like me and use cigarettes for stimulation. Sure it takes a cool pic but try something else.
>>
i never took up the habit. you know how i got ladies to dig my writer image? by fucking writing two novels.
>>
I feel like you have to be stupid to get addicted. I smoke a pack every few months when I'm real stressed. It's kind of nice. I like to smoke when I'm writing end of term papers (ie: now) just because it's relaxing, but it won't 'help' your writing any.
>>
>>7826702
I started vaping just to have something to do on my idle time or when I'm stuck in traffic. Its only been 4 months, but I already feel addicted.

I can't say that it's naturally a bad thing. I kind of like the stress it adds on my life, it keeps me going, Otherwise i'm a very relaxed person.

In a way it almost amplifies all my emotions. When I'm happy I'm elated, when I start to stress I get extremly frustrated. My emotional fluctuations went from a blue chip stock, to a new tech stock.

All in all i'm going to keep smoking.

>A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want
>>
>>7826968
You don't need to be nicotine dependant in your daily functioning to be addicted. I sort of smoke like you and can go weeks or months without, but when shit hits the fan I reach for my little cancer pacifiers.

If you weren't dependant in some form you wouldn't use them as a coping mechanism.
>>
>>7826702
i have 1-2 cigarettes a day and its been like that since i was 16, never needed more. not gonna give it up, no major health risk and a fucking love it after a hard day's work or at 4am when i can't sleep
>>
>>7827726

>vaping
>>
>>7827726
>I kind of like the stress it adds on my life

Isn't that supposed to be a relaxing thing?
>>
"Don’t romanticize your “vocation.” You can either write good sentences or you can’t. There is no ‘writer’s lifestyle.’ All that matters is what you leave on the page."
>>
>>7827759
You must be retarded if you think 1-2 cigs a day since the age of 16 isn't harmful to your health.
>>
I've been a pretty heavy smoker since I was 17. I smoke about 8-9 (slim, self-rolled) cigs a day and it's a real pain in the ass, especially waking up in the morning and coughing my lungs out.
Smoking did do some good things for me though: once I started smoking my circle of friends grew exponentially, I suddenly got invited to all the parties and I became a lot more self-confident.

Still, don't start. Especially if you only want to smoke because of the way it looks/fits your image.
>>
>>7827726
Vaping just doesnt look cool though, and seems to be a lot more effort.

Do you think smoking would be reviewed as lightly if there were funky flavours?
>>
>>7826737
I've been smoking since I was 19, too. I'm 23 now. Started around 4-5 a day, now it's a pack a day. At first, smoking was a good excuse to go outside with others at the uni in breaks, and with time it became a habit. I like the feeling that I'm smoking, I feel kinda cool. I like and enjoy the taste of tobacco except when I'm having serious hangover . Smoking gives me something to do in those little awkward time intervals like when you have to wait for someone, etc.

I know it's bad for my health, but I'll gonna die anyway. It gonna be most likely cancer, since I'm about to work with radioactive materials.

>>7827726
>A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want.
Nice sentence. 'Vaping' sounds a bit gay though.

>>7827787
>if there were funky flavours
Here where I live, there are funky flavours like apple, strawberry, cherry and so on. These are thin cigarettes, made for women, smoked by women. People don't see their smoking any different than smoking regular cigs. Anyway, these flavoured cigarettes tastes like crap.
>>
>>7827775
moved from a busy city into to rural-ish living, my lungs are probably more healthy than yours if you live in a city, even with smoking
>>
>>7827787
Vaping doesn't "look cool" because it hasn't had billions of dollars of advertisments or attractive movie stars protraying it as such.

It's just a way to to deliver nicotine into my blood stream. It is more effort than cigarettes at the start, but once you have everything it is much, much easier. No more lighters, running to the store for another pack of cigarettes, having to go outside to smoke. Cigarette smokers are the truly dedicated. I never had that much determination so I was a ex smoker who never got addicted.
>>
>>7826757
Your justification makes no sense. I hope you realize that.
>>
Here's one of my tricks. When writing I put the cigarette in my mouth but don't light it, thus not giving it the power to do its killing. Helps with the metaphors.
>>
>>7827771
Underrated response
>>
>>7827779
>smoking did good things for me
>got friends
>parties
>self confidence
>don't start
Nice try Marlboro man.
>>
>>7827805
Vaping will never look cool though, you're holding a metal piece that releases water vapor. It's unnatural, and no matter how hard people try-- it won't ever look cool.
>>
>>7827817
>quotes John Green
>is on /lit/
Pick one lad
>>
>>7827872
>can recognise a john green quote
>is on /lit/
wew
>>
>>7827873
Not my fault lad. I follow a few literature blogs on tumblr and what anon said sounded familiar, so I looked up a few key words of what he said and saw it was a John Green quote.
>>
vaping's alright, girls will sometimes ask for a hit of it.
>>
>>7827880
It's a meme you dip.
>>
>>7826757
Can you be any more retarded?
>>
>>7826968
>I like to smoke when I'm writing end of term papers (ie: now) just because it's relaxing, but it won't 'help' your writing any
That's not necessarily true. Nicotine is a stimulant and you should experience enhanced clarity and focus for as long as you remain under its effects. There's actually a fairly good chance it will help your writing.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (53 KB, 600x850) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
53 KB, 600x850
Smoking won't magically turn you into a good writer.
>>
I have pretty good genetics when it comes to smoking. I can go long periods of time of not smoking and I can smoke a pack a day. Addiction isn't something I really have to deal with.

Still, you shouldn't smoke OP. Smoking is one of the more overrated vices. Most establishments don't allow smoking indoors and it gets fucking cold out. Also, smoking doesn't make you look 'cool' anymore. It honestly just makes you look like a try-hard fag.
>>
just do proper stimulants instead, they're much better for you and much more effective.
>>
>>7826702
use nasal snuff if you want to be a real patrician. also it doesn't give you cancer
>>
>>7827800
>look how natural my life is, breathing that clean mountain/farm air, unpolluted, exercise, being one with nature, and so on and so on, what's three minutes' smoke per day gonna do to that?

this is how you sound, and it's retarded. i don't even need to hope you get cancer because you will
>>
File: einstein.jpg (62 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
einstein.jpg
62 KB, 850x400
smoke a pipe. buy some quality tobacco (no drugstore crap). and stay away from cigarettes.
>>
>I CAN STOP ANYTIME I WANT
>not right now tho lel *never stops*
Love this people
>>
>>7826888
i too have built up a correlation between smoking and writing
>>
>>7828195
>Nicotine is a stimulant
Mmm. Not quite. Your body produces nicotine, but when you regularly smoke, it stops, and smoking becomes your only source of nicotine. When you finally stop for a long period, your body begins to naturally produce nicotine (and the withdrawal subsides).
>>
The trick is to never actually smoke the things, just hold it between your lips
>>
Its great. Makes me feel like I really did some quality work when I forget that I had just lit a cigarette. I look over at my ash tray and theres a delicate stick of ash attached to the butt that suddenly shatters when I go for it.
>>
File: tooyoung.jpg (2 MB, 3988x3988) Image search: [Google]
tooyoung.jpg
2 MB, 3988x3988
>>7829482
pipe smoking gives you white hair.
>>
File: 360_dfwallace_a_0914.jpg (19 KB, 360x235) Image search: [Google]
360_dfwallace_a_0914.jpg
19 KB, 360x235
>not dipping

Have you fags learned nothing from Dave?

Hal Incandenza didn't die for this.
>>
File: tropiqueducancer.png (402 KB, 631x441) Image search: [Google]
tropiqueducancer.png
402 KB, 631x441
What are you anons smoking?
>>
>>7828682
this

only 'smokers' i know are hipster liberal arts majors and degenerates
>>
>>7829543
holy shit

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/pages/memories-of-david-foster-wallace

any dippers on /lit/?
cope straight here
>>
>>7829583
Cope straight is my daily. I'm indoors most of the time and don't want to go out to smoke so it works. I love chain-dipping while reading or writing.
>>
>>7828119
And?
>>
>>7829457
Not the anon you're talking to but you're an imbecile. Living in a city definitely takes a huge toll on your lungs-- on a side note, most of my family has been smoking since they were in their 20's, (most of them are past 60 now) and no one in my family has lung cancer. Hell, they don't have any type of cancer at all; truth is, cancer is mainly based on genetics and if you're predisposed to it, then your odds of getting cancer are significantly higher as opposed to the small risk of those who aren't predisposed to it.
>>
>>7829553
You cannot fathom how lucky you are. American here, and I've searched countlessly for them and have had no luck. I live in LA so I'd assume that a big city would have these available but for some reason no liquor stores or tobacco shops sell them.
>>
>>7829705
My maternal grandfather died of lung cancer in his early thirties, scares me to death. Mostly the reason I quit
>>
>>7829717
Sorry to hear that pal, you made the right decision in quitting.
>>
File: 123143.jpg (21 KB, 389x388) Image search: [Google]
123143.jpg
21 KB, 389x388
>>7826702
>How much does smoking improve your writing?
>>
>>7827800
you're fucking disgusting , also you should know carbon dioxide from cars far away from you won't fuck you up like the numerous toxic chemicals from tobacco smoke that you go out of your way to inhale
>>
>>7827739
this
>>
>>7829705
between the "city" and "rural" are the "suburbs" where most of us actually live so no, you're setting up a false dichotomy that I reject. contrary to your small worldview there are unpolluted suburbs
>>
>>7826702
I think you're confusing the trope that a "genius" writer has some sort of vice with reality.
>>
>>7830002
Also I have no sense of punctuation or grammar.
>>
File: received_1269195133098887.jpg (56 KB, 720x1184) Image search: [Google]
received_1269195133098887.jpg
56 KB, 720x1184
>>7826702
Lol who cares I put baccy in my spliffs and smoke to the roach all day erry day

it improves the burn and taste
>>
File: 1375212209661.jpg (24 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1375212209661.jpg
24 KB, 300x400
>be vastly predisposed to throat cancer due to childhood illness
>smoke anyway
>doctor friend told me I'd be dead by fifty if I didn't quit
>mfw smoked for eight years and no desire to quit
>>
>>7832005
You should definitely quit
Pls don't die on us anon
>>
>>7832042
I'll quit eventually but I figure I should just wait until I find a really cool girl and then quit after she pleads with me long enough so as to at least get something out of it.
>>
>smoke because it's kewl and also i don't plan to live to old age
>it's fucking expensive where i live (melbourne) to buy tailored's
>i can't roll because i have shaky hands and get frustrated easily at things that require fine motor skills with my fingers and hands
>quit out of stingyness rather than health reasons
>>
File: literalautism.png (310 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
literalautism.png
310 KB, 1366x768
>>7832083
> fine motor skill deficits
> /lit/ poster
> easily frustrated

kek you may actually have autism
>>
>>7832108

being on 4chan too long gave me the autisms
>>
>>7829583
I mostly do illegal snus from Sweden. Do not really enjoy mud as much as the bags.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.