[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1-What book or books are you reading right now? 2-What is you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 15
1-What book or books are you reading right now?

2-What is you opinion thus far?
>>
1 - The Holy Bible
2 - Pretty gud, kinda conservative
>>
Joseph Andrews a second time

Just as shitty as I remember
>>
Introduction to Civil War
Finished it on the bus this morning. Slow to start but worth it in the end.
>>
>>7826055

Paper book: Havel: A Life by Michael Zantovsky. I'm enjoying it so far.

Audio book: Infinite Jest by DFW. I don't know yet.
>>
>>7826055
All The Pretty Horses

I like it, Mcarthy's prose is divine.
>>
>>7826055

Fist: nice girl and nice dubs

1: I am reading the Cossacks right now (by Tolstoy).

2: Each page has the scent of pines and cedars; the smell of wet earth and the mud heated by the sun; the vapors of humid and moldy hay or of rotting leaves and moss in the woods. We can see the silver heads of mountains that caress the clouds with their balds; feel the smell of gunpowder, vodka and dry-clotted blood in the body of an old and strong gray Cossack. Our nostrils are constantly visited by the spicy and fresh fragrance of the oaks, or the smoke from the soldiers pipes. There are also, of course, the tanned bodies of Cossack women, like toasted hazelnuts, covered in sweat or night dew, with thick black locks: all the majesty of the Caucasus is concentrated on the pages of this little novel. Tolstoy once again creates a supreme work of art.

>>7826060
>Pretty gud, kinda conservative

lol
>>
File: images (1).jpg (9 KB, 161x312) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
9 KB, 161x312
>>7826055

9/10 ass
5/10 quagmire face
>>
Vineland
Meh
>>
>>7826085
>5/10 quagmire face

You are kidding, right?

She is so cute (and hot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI-IZXVtzT8
>>
File: dune-sniper.jpg (2 MB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
dune-sniper.jpg
2 MB, 2880x1800
Frank Herbert's Dune. Can't believe I never heard about till a few weeks ago. Pretty entertaining so far really, love the concept and setting. Basically game of thrones in space.
>>
paradise lost. I don't know why I haven't read it before.
>>
Notes from underground.

I think the protagonist is autistic and would fit in perfectly with the majority of people on /lit/
>>
>>7826055
>Capital vol 1
explains stuff in plain language, assumed it would be more 'obscure' … long though

>Confessions (Augustine)
exceptional, why didn't i read this years ago, 10/10 would recommend so far (on book 8)

>Lives of Girls and Women
comfy, reading a story when a wake up, nice way to start the day
>>
>>7826103
She has a very masculine jawline tho.
>>
File: Tomas Sanchez Requero 4.jpg (118 KB, 600x647) Image search: [Google]
Tomas Sanchez Requero 4.jpg
118 KB, 600x647
Virginia Woolf, The Waves
First time reading anything from her. It's amazing so far. I'm about 30% in and can't wait to reread the beginning now that I actually associate people with the names.

>>7826122
>Can't believe I never heard about till a few weeks ago.
How? Is this whole post a joke?
>>
>>7826103
if your into Robin Roberts
>>
>>7826085
>>7826344

Either an envious girl or an envious faggot.
>>
>>7826103
>>7826148
This.
>>
>>7826055
1) Montague Summers - Vampires and Vampirism

2) Pretty interesting, kind of ridiculous.
>>
>>7826055
1- Guermante's Way (In Search of Lost Time volume 3)
2- Absolutely beautiful, Proust knows how to hit those feels/write magnificent prose/be philosophically deep and complex/keep you hooked on the story. It is the ultimate piece of writing /lit/
>>
>>7826055
1. House of leaves
2. Its really intriguing, i want to pick it up and read it every 10 minutes I'm away from it, the 3-way narration is cool story telling
>>
>>7826161
No. I just never heard about it.
>>
>>7826389
Samefag
>>
Paradise Lost by Milton
I've just started the 4th part, I'm enjoying it more than I was expecting myself to
>>
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
Loving the prose
>>
File: 1425259358726.jpg (195 KB, 858x570) Image search: [Google]
1425259358726.jpg
195 KB, 858x570
>>7826438
>>
>>7826645

Albertine: what a great character.
>>
1 - The History of Shame: The Dark Sides of the Norwegian State 1814-2014
2 - Great, love reading about the mind numbing mistakes we've made in the past, and slightly worried because we might be about to make the same mistakes again.
>>
1. The Trial
2. Kafkaesque
>>
>>7826055
>Oblomov
>fucking hilarious
>>
File: Nous-rêvions-juste-de-liberté.jpg (168 KB, 500x789) Image search: [Google]
Nous-rêvions-juste-de-liberté.jpg
168 KB, 500x789
1- Nous Rêvions Juste de Liberté
2- Greatest friendship story Ever.

You definately HAVE to read this book. It's a Hell of a book.
>>
>War and Peace
>SO MANY PPL. SO MANY PRETENTIOUS PPL. I'm glad I don't have to go to those dinners.
>>
Americanah

The middle portion of the book is good, I prefer reading about Obinze's and Ifemelu's immigrant problems because they were quite comic in some aspects. The blog post sections are horrific, and show only her hypocrisy rather than any actual 'truth'. This last portion is horrific though, Ifem and her black hipster Yale professor BF Blaine making love over Barak Obama coming into Presidency, all her white liberal friends crying with joy. It's making me ill. I hope it recollects itself by the end, or it'll ruin the book.
>>
The Hobbit - cute, warm, lovely, fills me with a childish sense of adventure.

Raise High the Roofbeam Carpenters and Seymour, an Introduction - goddamn do i love salinger. i wasnt even sure if i wanted to start it yet but once i read the first page i ended up finishing half the book before falling asleep.

The diary of Anaïs Nin vol. 1 - im so happy to have finally read her. she has become one of my top favorite authors very quickly. i love everything she has to say about anything.

Dubliners - joyce is truly a master
>>
>>7826803
What translation
>>
Fahrenheit 451

dis nigga bradbury had a crystal ball
>>
File: original.jpg (30 KB, 240x285) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
30 KB, 240x285
>>7826055
Decentering Theory: Recondsidering the History of Japanese Film Theory

I like it, I am currently reading the essays about Yoshida Kiju's film theory, and it's relationship with French Existentialism.
>>
>>7826823
You and Tolstoy would get along
>>
Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
absolutely superb, miles beyond Androids which was my only other pkd
>>
>>7826055
I'm about 50 pages into Lolita and I love it.
>>
>the sun also rises
>I love it. I can't believe how comfy this book is.
>>
>>7826055
The catcher in the rye
Much better than what I expected. It is not a most-read but a very enjoyable one.
>>
>>7827025
muh nigga, read the illustrated man
1.Doctor Jivago by Pasternark
2.I enjoy it every time i get on the bus, really gets you into russian story, it fills you with determination
>>
>>7826055
-Othello

-Why is he so stupid?
>>
>>7828315
Because he's blinded by that sweet Desdemona pussy/infidelity and has a misplaced trust in one particular egomaniacal and self-serving friend?
>>
Manfred Fuhrmanns 'Geschichte der römischen Literatur'.

I love it so far, it's exactly what I was looking for (namely a brief introduction dropping all the important household name and their works)
>>
The Shining
:really good, enjoying it thus far, only that there was one occasion where a sentence made me cringe and didn't fit with the character's personality
>>
>>7826138
pears
>>
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me by Richard Farina
Not bad but some of the experimentation feels a little tryhard. Reads like something Pynchon would have written for a creative writing class.
>>
At The Existentialist Cafe

Her book on Montaigne was very nice, so far Cafe is a really good pop-intro to existentialism, extremely lively written
>>
37 pages into Pnin, it's quite funny yeh.
>>
File: u fucked m8.jpg (24 KB, 217x346) Image search: [Google]
u fucked m8.jpg
24 KB, 217x346
I really like the book so far, I was expecting what I'm getting, so I don't have any complains on it.

Also, I'm very intrigued in how will it end.
>>
1. pic related

2. I can't tell if it's actually good or just masturbatory but I'm enjoying the structure and the characters are pretty compelling. Plotting is a little obvious/too-coincidental-to-be-true for a book that purports to be realistic though
>>
>>7826075
you're really hamfisted.
>>
colorless tsukuru tazaki by murakami

pretty good, I really enjoy murakami's writing style and some of these feels really hit home, was not ready for that.
>>
Daniil Kharms - Today I wrote nothing

Short absurd stories, very enjoyable so far.
>>
1. The lime twig (half done)

2. Nice prose. It's ethereal and dream/nightmare like. Reminds me of Eliots England. Took me a while to get used to the writing but it's great now.
>>
>>7829223
I like this especially
>"Now I feel sleepy but I am not going to sleep. I get hold of a piece of paper and a pen and I am going to write. I feel within me a terrible power. I thought it all over as long ago as yesterday. It will be the story about a miracle worker who is living in our time and who doesn't work any miracles. He knows that he is a miracle worker and that he can perform any miracle, but he doesn't do so. He is thrown out of his flat and he knows that he only has to wave a finger and the flat will remain his, but he doesn't do this; he submissively moves out of the flat and lives out of town in a shed. He is capable of turning this shed into a fine brick house, but he doesn't do this; he carries on living in the shed and eventually dies, without having done a single miracle in the whole of his life”
>>
1. Metamorphoses (Mandelbaum)
2. Only on book two but not really feeling it. enjoyed Homer and Virgil a lot more t b h f a m
>>
>>7826055
1 Trilby by George du Maurier. Everyman's Library edition, 1931
2 It's OK, very good in places. I can see why it was influential in its time. Svengali's German French accent is written just right and is pretty funny.
>>
>>7826055

Crime and Punishment

It's fuckin great, sad I put off reading it for so long. The prose has a simplistic style to it (might be McDuff, idk), but god it's compelling. Fun psychoanalysis against egoism.
>>
File: 1445822147732.gif (2 MB, 208x200) Image search: [Google]
1445822147732.gif
2 MB, 208x200
Just finished Crime and Punishment.

Things ended a little too conveniently for my blood, but what can you do. The novel's value doesn't come from the narration, but the philosophy found within it. Perhaps it was just the translation I read, but the prose was a bit.. dull. Would recommend, though.
>>
>>7826055
1 - The Prince by Machiavelli and Discipline and Punish by Michel Foucault
2 - Both are great, although The Prince is a bit utopic
>>
>>7826055
I am Pilgrim
Egregious
>>
>>7826055
1. The Life and Opinions of The Tomcat Murr.
2. Alright. Funny at times, but the amount of references could be cut down considerably.
>>
>>7826122
that's funny I'm here to post

Reading Dune Messiah. It's okay, not nearly the sci-fi revelation that Dune was. Maybe it's because I read dune really fast (couldn't put it down) and am reading Messiah a chapter at a time every few days, sometimes with a week break. If it keeps up like this though, Foundation 2+3>>>Dune 2+3.
>>
1. Middlemarch and Portrait of The Artist as A young man

2. Middlemarch is great, I thought it was going to be another stereotypical english story when i started out but it has great depth, I wouldn't quite say the things george eliot writes are enlightening or mind blowing, but she really is good at explaining the things people do and the reasoning behind them.

Portrait of artist is great as well, I had a hard time getting into it, and following through with it, has some beautiful depth when it comes to explaining his story and the trials he undergoes to become an artist, which if the book didn't tell me 200 pages in or in the title i wouldn't have had a clue. I'd appreciate it more if I was more read, enjoyed it nonetheless.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.