[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I found this book for free and just finished it and I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Gatsby_1925_jacket.gif (44 KB, 250x374) Image search: [Google]
Gatsby_1925_jacket.gif
44 KB, 250x374
So I found this book for free and just finished it and I was wondering if you guys could help me figuring out why The Great Gatsby is such an acclaimed book, since many of you probably studied it in American Highschool.

I'm guessing it's notable for painting a picture of life in the 1920s, and the changing dynamic of love and marriage in the United States during the time period. Would that be a good assumption or not?

The other thing is what's the deal with the title? Why is Gatsby great? Is it some kind of anachronistic meaning of great like "Alexander the Great" or something? Or is it just because he's wealthy and shares his wealth freely with strangers and is an honest man but the jealousy of the people around him drags him down and kills him?
>>
It's an interesting story with interesting characters and an extremely economical use of language for the kind of character and class portraits that it's able to make.

This thread is posted every week. Are people really expecting the book to be stellar because it's taught in high schools so much? It's taught so much because it's easy to read and short and good and American history.
>>
>>7824991
I didn't say it was a bad book, I was just wondering why it's taught in American schools because I'm from Canada. I don't think Canada has a book like the Great Gatsby which is a shame because I like the simplicity of the story and the short length.
>>
>>7824986
The ending was silly.
>>
>>7824999
We actually studied this book in my highschool in Australia as well. Mainly looking at the use of symbolism in the book, some obvious like the light, or not as obvious to me originally the eyes of t.j. eckleburg. Anyway like the other anon said, it's a simple, interesting book which makes it a good teaching tool.
>>
>>7825104
I guess when you put it like that, I guess Timothy Findlay would be the Canadian analogue to F. Scott Fitzgerald.

>>7825093
It kinda reminded me of The Count of Monte Christo where Dumas sums up the book with a dominant theme as a single sentence at the end, like a moral.
>>
>>7824986
it's about Gatsby and a popular idea of the American dream. what it is and how it fails to make Gatsby and the other characters with money happy. it's about love and chasing the past. it's about terrible reasons to want to make your fantasies real. it's about a lot of things.

>>7825104
it's one of those books that writing teachers use to show the rules of writing so if you're going to break them at least you can break them WELL and not in some cliché way.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.