[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Great books on war
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 971x376) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 971x376
Suburban, latte-sipping, STEM major here.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never know the feeling of suiting up to go to war for my people and my country.

My life is a waste. Help me read some of the greatest books on war ever written.
>>
Clausewitz.

The whole thing.
>>
>>7824496
Veteran here. You really don't want to. The people who have done it and enjoy it aren't people you want to be around. It's a terrible, sad and hard experience. One that I'm glad I'll never do again.

The Things they Carried
Generation Kill for a modern look on soldiers.
>>
>>7824501
OP here. Thank you for your service. I just got done with watching Generation Kill. Made me really introspect about some things.
>>
Herr - Dispatches
>>
>>7824501
THANK U 4 UR CERVIX
>>
>>7824501
You have to be fucked in the head in a pretty notable way to like that stuff, right?

Reading SEAL memoirs, I felt like even all those ghost writers couldn't hide how dysfunctional and cruel-hearted their subjects were. Some of what those guys do is see-inspiring, but you get the feeling that they're like bite-happy guard dogs who get beaten a lot.
>>
>>7824496
>romanticizing being shipped off to some third world shithole where you stand a good chance of getting shot or getting your limbs blown off
Kill yourself, t-b-h.
>>
Storm of Steel
>>
there are good reasons you don't hear vets reminiscing about what they went through in their wars/peace keeping actions/whatever. shit sucks and is fucked up. also ptsd is more prevalent than people think it is.
>>
>>7824496
dying for spooks lmao u on that weak ass shit nigga
>>
>>7824628
Storm of Steel and Wall Quiet on the Western Front read one after another.
>>
the yellow birds is fiction but still i highly recommend it to you OP
>>
>>7824496
Journey to the end of the night.
>>
>>7824588
The books I mentioned aren't bad. I don't read those cheesy SEAL memoirs and bull shit.

One Bullet Away is Fick's side of the story from Generation Kill.

>>7824587
Thanks babe

>>7824536
The book is better. Fruity Rudy plays himself.
>>
Anabasis - Xenophon SWTG
>>
mein gott you've got a huge spook on your shoulder
>>
>>7824501
>The people who have done it and enjoy it aren't people you want to be around.

Depends on what you do though, right?

I haven't ever been to war, but I know that Joseph Heller, author of Catch 22, said that at first the war was fun.

He also said that most of the missions he flew were just milk runs. From what I understand, the Germans just kind of gave up on the possibility of controlling the air halfway through the war.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.