[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a man's man worth these days?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
File: crap.jpg (34 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
crap.jpg
34 KB, 311x475
I took the liberty of trying out some Hemingway, but was not impressed. The visuals were there, but the content was too crude and unemotional for someone these days to be reading. This can be argued about most of the classic authors. The old rules no longer apply. Hemingway barely passes for a modern man today. What did this man contribute to literature? Sure, he's less of an anachronism than Dickens, but at least Twain inspired me to think.
>>
>>7824430
Nice spooks there, brah.
>>
File: spooks I.gif (14 KB, 680x489) Image search: [Google]
spooks I.gif
14 KB, 680x489
>>7824437
>Not 'Well spooked, my property'

Can't meme with the best? Then 404 like the rest

You're right though, unspook yourself OP
>>
>>7824437
I know my statement was vague, but this is not about anything in particular, but what this man was about. He's more of a symbol than anything. So far, I've learned nothing from him. Maybe that's why he shot himself. How long can you regurgitate memes of manhood without exploring the implications of behavior? Hemingway seems like he was an empty man.
>>
>>7824430
>the content was too crude and unemotional

you not seeing it does not mean that it isn't there

very fitting statement to make in the era of flashy surface emotions and wearing your heart with a depth of a puddle on your sleeve

in other words git gud

and I'm not even a huge hemmmmmmmingway fan
>>
hemmingway is literally 2subtle4u
>>
>Hemingway
>unemotional
The dude's a fucking wet towel with a tuff guy put-on.
>>
File: 1334615677634.jpg (14 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
1334615677634.jpg
14 KB, 400x399
>>7824430

>too crude and unemotional for someone these days to be reading

Please give me an example of an author you think typifies the emotional "modern man"
>>
File: John-Green_2929212b.jpg (36 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
John-Green_2929212b.jpg
36 KB, 620x387
>>7824483
>>
>>7824483
>Please give me an example
if you're in need of one, you're in trouble. The only one that I can think of is not modern, but Twain was ahead of his time. Too many authors are self-absorbed, those I've read anyway.
>>
File: -.jpg (11 KB, 248x249) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
11 KB, 248x249
>>7824499
>>7824500
saving a shit thread
>>
>>7824508
You knew >>7824499 was coming the minute you read >>7824483.
>>
>>7824430
>>7824500
OP come back when you've read more than 20 books. Preferably 80 but we gotta compromise somewhere.
>>
>>7824500

So where do you get your definition of a "modern man" from then? If it's just based on your own experiences and anecdotes you can't expect us to take your thread seriously. It's basically the equivalent of teenage girls on goodreads whining that they "couldn't identify with the book" It's not a criticism if you can't back it up. I don't care if you like or don't like a particular author but you're acting as though your subjective, unsubstantiated opinions actually mean something.
>>
File: -.jpg (8 KB, 184x274) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
8 KB, 184x274
>>
>>7824519
Most of the books I've read were non-fiction. I just decided to try some more fiction. I don't know how to put this without perhaps being rebuked, but I'm more of a Hitchens and Dawkins kind of guy.

Perhaps I should stay away from fiction altogether.
>>
>>7824533
>but I'm more of a Hitchens and Dawkins kind of guy.

ahhh

you'll catch a few, don't worry

exiting this thread
>>
>>7824533

Preferring non fiction over fiction can be a sign of autism. Not even joking.
>>
>>7824533

Perhaps you should.

Anyway, Hemingway is important in the history of American writing because his style influences writers today. Before him, American writers wrote in the same ornate manner as our cousins across the Atlantic. Hemingway's economy of language impressed many and Western literature since his time has seen less as more.
>>
>>7824554
I'm sure it is. But I find television more entertaining than literary fiction. Unless it's Philip K. Dick or Hunter S. Thompson (?)
>>
>>7824555
I understand that, but that doesn't mean he's without flaw
>>
>>7824567
He has plenty of legitimate flaws to point out. I haven't heard you point out any though.
>>
>>7824567

I was under the impression you were wondering why he was important. Hemingway is more important from a historical standpoint than anything else... his writing is surpassed by many authors, and if he didn't live the celebrity-lifestyle he did people wouldn't jerk themselves to the thought of him as they still do today.

Of course he's not without flaw. No author is without flaw.
>>
>>7824574
I'm counting out his obsessive pursuit to prove himself as well as his attempt to define what a real man's supposed to be. He made a lot of self-interested men very proud in the process of redefining the medium.
>>
WHat did you read by hemmy? his short stories? try the sun also rises at least. the protagonist is impotent. if you're so convinced hemmy's whole project was to define manhood, i'd be interested to know what you make of that?
>>
File: 1435047857444.jpg (18 KB, 420x247) Image search: [Google]
1435047857444.jpg
18 KB, 420x247
>>7824562
>>
File: GrumpyDLuffy.png (46 KB, 152x265) Image search: [Google]
GrumpyDLuffy.png
46 KB, 152x265
>>7824533
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.