[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which philosophers are pro-asceticism? Kind of had it with hedonism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: 1456828247101.jpg (165 KB, 406x500) Image search: [Google]
1456828247101.jpg
165 KB, 406x500
Which philosophers are pro-asceticism? Kind of had it with hedonism to be honest.
>>
Harold Bloom
>>
schopenhauer
>>
Give Revolt of the Masses a read, nigga.

">The mass-man would never have accepted authority external to himself had not his surroundings violently forced him to do so. As to-day, his surroundings do not so force him, the everlasting mass-man, true to his character, ceases to appeal to other authority and feels himself lord of his own existence. On the contrary the select man, the excellent man is urged, by interior necessity, to appeal from himself to some standard beyond himself, superior to himself, whose service he freely accepts.… Contrary to what is usually thought, it is the man of excellence, and not the common man who lives in essential servitude. Life has no savour for him unless he makes it consist in service to something transcendental. Hence he does not look upon the necessity of serving as an oppression. When, by chance, such necessity is lacking, he grows restless and invents some new standard, more difficult, more exigent, with which to coerce himself. This is life lived as a discipline — the noble life.

>Nobility is defined by the demands it makes on us — by obligations, not by rights. Noblesse oblige. "To live as one likes is plebeian; the noble man aspires to order and law" (Goethe). The privileges of nobility are not in their origin concessions or favours; on the contrary, they are conquests. And their maintenance supposes, in principle, that the privileged individual is capable of reconquering them, at any moment, if it were necessary, and anyone were to dispute them.… It is annoying to see the degeneration suffered in ordinary speech by a word so inspiring as "nobility." For, by coming to mean for many people hereditary "noble blood," it is changed into something similar to common rights, into a static, passive quality which is received and transmitted like something inert. But the strict sense, the etymon of the word nobility is essentially dynamic. Noble means the "well known," that is, known by everyone, famous, he who has made himself known by excelling the anonymous mass.… "Nobility" does not appear as a formal expression until the Roman Empire, and then precisely in opposition to the hereditary nobles, then in decadence.

>As one advances in life, one realises more and more that the majority of men — and of women — are incapable of any other effort than that strictly imposed on them as a reaction to external compulsion. And for that reason, the few individuals we have come across who are capable of a spontaneous and joyous effort stand out isolated, monumentalised, so to speak, in our experience. These are the select men, the nobles, the only ones who are active and not merely reactive, for whom life is a perpetual striving, an incessant course of training. Training = askesis. These are the ascetics."
>>
>HURRR ONE LIFESTYLE SUCKS NOW IM JUST GONNA DO THE OPPOSITE AND EXPECT MYSELF TO FINALLY FILL THAT GAPING HOLE OF MEANING IN MY BEING DURRR

Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1454919055974.jpg (7 KB, 216x216) Image search: [Google]
1454919055974.jpg
7 KB, 216x216
Soren Kierkegaard

Augustine of Hippo

Marcus Aureaulius

Martin Heidegger

>Hesse had good commentary on Asceticism v. Aestheticism in Narcissus and Goldmund as well as Steppenwolf. He is, however, an annoying hedonist faggot.
>>
>>7823083
Is that you, Prince Gautama?
>>
>>7823224
>i'm going to use memespeak to ridicule the idea of trying something else if a certain approach doesn't work

:^)
>>
>>7823224
Lock yourself up you imbecile.
>>
>>7823083

One thing didn't work out, so you're doing the opposite? I recommend the Nicomachean Ethics.
>>
File: nihilism.png (286 KB, 889x592) Image search: [Google]
nihilism.png
286 KB, 889x592
>>7823224
I'm glad I learned to see beyond ideology at an early age, becoming a nihilist. Everywhere I look, I see people lost and confused, trying to figure out how to find meaning when it doesn't even objectively exist.
>>
>>7823224
whats wrong with that, besides the fact that you had to add "durrr" and put it in all caps to make it sound dumb
>>
>>7826285
Ariskotle too weak desu
>>
Any stoic or daoist work. Learn to exist in moderation.
>>
>>7823083
Plato and Socrates both thought one should reject the body as constraining of the soul and thus deluding. Socrates thought philosophy was practice at death which was a good thing. Greek philosophy and thus philosophy in general is based on a rejection of life and a veneration of death.

Hedonism and a paganistic love of life is truth. You're probably misconstruing hedonism with excessive indulgence. Epicurus is true hedonism which is a style of asceticism without the usual hatred of life.
>>
>>7823083
not your friends
>>
>>7826325
>nihilism isn't an idoelogy
>>
>>7827392
it isn't. it's a lack of ideology. saying nihilism is an ideology is like saying not playing baseball is a sport.
>>
>>7827421
>nihilism isn't an ideology because of baseball
>>
>>7826325
While I find your statement holds truth, do you at least aknowledge that belief or meaning offer something to pass ones time?
>>
>>7826325
That's a really shitty way to live.

I mean, I don't think that life has any inherent meaning. But as you live it, meaning seems to accrue to the things that you invest yourself in. For instance, it seems fairly obvious that for people on this board, the act of reading and writing literature has grown meaningful and valuable.

I find that nihilists are, for the most part, simply people who cannot or will not engage with life. It might be out of fear, or out of cynicism, or any variety of reasons. The image you posted implies that nihilism allows for a cavalier and untroubled existence. That may be true in some cases. But I imagine that a nihilists life is also rather dull and flavorless.

Simply stated, poker games are much more fun when you actually have chips on the table.
>>
>>7827630
having chips requires delusion though, and it's hard to be consistently delusional.
>>
>>7827682

... you're a human being, no? you're gonna be deluded one way or another ... if you were really a nihilist why would you be arguing with people on a Japanese anime forum?
>>
File: youm.jpg (319 KB, 1920x1181) Image search: [Google]
youm.jpg
319 KB, 1920x1181
>>7827719
>if you were really a nihilist why would you be arguing with people on a Japanese anime forum?
You're assuming human motivation is rational. It isn't.
>>
>>7827734
I know it isnt ... but because it isnt, why worry about being deluded
>>
>>7827682
It is perfectly fun to play poker with chips of no value.
>>
>>7823083
The cynics and stoics. Diogenes of Sinope. Epictetus. Seneca and the various and sundry proto-christians Dante found milling about Limbo in Inferno.

Hell, even Adam Smith: "In ease of body and peace of mind, all the different ranks of life are nearly upon a level, and the beggar who suns himself by the side of the highway possesses that security which kings are fighting for."

Asceticism is a slave philosophy the same as Abrahamic faiths are slave religions. Virtue can be mustered within no matter what external hardships you must endure, live according to your nature and you will be the captain of your soul, all that jazz. Those tenets will be easy to identify in most of the places you look. It's human nature to hope beyond hope that there is value beneath the shit that life heaps upon us.
>>
You can keep oscillating between the two poles.

Or you can try the middle path.
>>
>>7827742
Again you're assuming human motivation is rational. Why do you think I can just stop worrying because it is the sensible thing to do?
>>
Sitting in your room all day ain't gonna fix life son.
>>
File: gautama.gif (85 KB, 300x402) Image search: [Google]
gautama.gif
85 KB, 300x402
>>7827852
It's pretty much the only thing that will though.
>>
>>7827869
He didn't sit in his room all day son.
>>
>>7827875
In a room, under a tree, doesn't make much difference.
>>
>>7823083
Guess what, ascetism is just another form of hedonism my fellow involuntary egoist
>>
>>7827421
nice false analogy there bud
>>
>>7827878
You'd be surprised.
>>
>>7823251
lord make me chaste, just not yet!
>>
>>7823251
How does one into Heidegger?
>>
>>7827911
read "sein und zeit" in original german
>>
>>7827734
why isnt human motivation rational?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.