[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>pic related >Uses the word apotheosis at least 5 times
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: LightInAugust.jpg (20 KB, 220x323) Image search: [Google]
LightInAugust.jpg
20 KB, 220x323
>pic related
>Uses the word apotheosis at least 5 times in 60 pages, mentally note it every time.

What word do authors use too much?
>>
Reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. He uses the word "inveigled" a lot.
>>
>>7820602
Jane Austen's dialog tags are awful. in P&P, almost every other sentence is "cried" by these people
>>
I know I use proper names too often. I have this autistic instinct to make sure my reader knows exactly who is doing what, even in situations where it's irrelevant (like the character is alone).
>>
>>7820621
there are a bunch of other words Mieville uses too much in PSS but I'm too drunk to think of them right now thanks for reading
>>
I enjoy Borges' wide range of vocabulary but he overuses heresiarch for example, to name but one.
>>
In Heart of Darkness, Conrad overuses darkness and gloom. Maybe the only "flaw" I can see from that book, thankfully.
>>
>>7820629
felicity
>>
countenance in frankenstein
>>
Reading the Secret History right now by D Tartt, the word brusquely is used very often
>>
Why don't I ever read classic books like Light in August anymore?

Why am I a weak-ass nigga?
>>
>>7820719
Also "wretch"

I really need to reread Frankenstein. I've never read something that captured my interest like Frankenstein did.
>>
There are a few words that are basically Faulkner's now because he uses them so effectively so often. "Myriad" is one of them. "Apotheosis" is another.
>>
I'm pretty sure Didion uses the word "inchoate" in each of the pieces in Slouching Toward Bethlehem and a fair amount afterwards. It's fitting, though.
>>
Has any writer staked a claim on "banal" yet?

I think I'll make that one mine...
>>
I can think of an author who uses 'stretched his legs' far too often
I wonder if anyone can guess who? ;)
>>
he spat
they rode on
like something
and then
>>
>>7821092
McCarthy
>>
>>7820602
>>7820693
Apotheosis of the Heresiarch is the name of my Gene Wolfe fan novel.
>>
and but so
>>
>>7821088
bloom
>>
Picayune in IJ
>>
>>7821103
actually kek'd
>>
>>7821088
fucking jk rowling you memester
>>
>>7821143
>learning spanish
>>
>>7821092
Are we making a game of this? Name the overused word, anon guesses the author? If so...

Easy mode: eldritch
Hard mode: deliquesce
>>
>>7821103
10/10, especially if you follow it up with another called Heresiarch of the Apotheosis, and another called Heretheosis of the Aposiarch Or Vice Versa
>>
>>7820629
>he/she cried
>can't help but imagine them either screaming or literally crying

Seriously, what is a "cry"?
>>
>>7821567
it's one degree lower than a full blown exclamation, I guess
sort of like pleading, but milder
>>
>>7821567
a gentler shout
>>
>>7820602
maybe instead of making the facile criticism of "overuse," consider the fact that faulkner is a much better writer than any of us could ever imagine, and probably wants you to think about how the word apotheosis is used each time it is, to see how it transforms as it moves through pages and time.
>>
>>7820683
"Hypnagogic"
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.