[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know this is one of the better boards, and I'm sorry if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 500x509) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 500x509
I know this is one of the better boards, and I'm sorry if I'm sliding off any better threads than this, but I'm looking for recommendations. I'm looking for non-fiction books that teach me how to become successful in life. Since there's a billion of those books out there, it's quite hard to know what is good at first glance. Since I know you guys actually read, I'd like to hear some recommendations.

Books that teach me the basics of making money, becoming successful and rich, etc.
>>
>>7819611
I hear "How to make friends and influence people" is good

but if you want to be rich just become a doctor/dentist
>>
>>7819611
>Books that teach me the basics of making money, becoming successful and rich, etc

Go to school, or community college or something. You won't find what you're looking for in books unless you want to get scammed.
>>
>>7819619
>>7819633
Fair enough. I've read a few books about rhetorics that helped me in my daily life, especially since I'm a flaming autist. Are there any books that teach skills like that? Skills that are needed for succes? Obviously you can't get anywhere if you don't speak properly, unless you want to become an academician, but my family is old money and we've always been entrepreneurs. Gotta fit into the family crew you know.
>>
>>7819931
machiavelli - the prince and his discourses on livy
>>
>>7819931
Just go to studentdoctor forums, take the MCAT, go to a shitty DO school on tons of loans, work for a non profit and go into IBR. Make 190-350k a year depending on specialty. Put a 10th into Index funds, save a couple months in cash, and take part in your community: rotary clubs and shit. Invest in local business, take loans and buy local real estate, both under LLC. Become a modern land baron.

>>7819946
I dont think he wants to conquer central italy.
>>
File: the_game.jpg (36 KB, 329x514) Image search: [Google]
the_game.jpg
36 KB, 329x514
>>7819931
There are no "rhetorics" that help you in your daily life. You were tricked into believing you can communicate better because of some shit money grab book.You don't need bullshit NLP/PUA-tier "rhetorics" to talk to people. Language and communication are fluid and no one bothers with correctness in spoken language any more anyway. If you actually have good ideas and interesting things to talk about then people will listen to you. If you don't, shut the fuck up and read an actual piece of literature or use your own incomprehensibly powerful human fucking brain.
>>
>>7819956
they're both about distributing resources and power. they're good books for anyone who might want or be in a leadership position.

make friends and influence people is mostly ideas that can be found in shorter form in the prince. the author just fleshed them out to appeal to the self help crowd
>>
>>7819969
m8 i don't know if you know what rhetoric is, but cicero really does not cost that much these days and still gets taught to future lawyers. it's not 1420 any more, most books are free.
>>
>>7819984
The concept of rhetoric has been a linguistic anachronism since (at least) the advent of analytic philsophy.
>>
>>7819969
It did help me though, I am much more able to get people interested in me and persuade people now than before. Maybe it is because as said I have literal autism so social life never came naturally for me as compared to other people.
>>
>>7820013
Except it didn't. Can't you understand that self help/nlp/whatever/success books are essentially tarot cards and palm reading and snake oil?
>>
>>7820011
yes, i noticed how you wrote the entirety of your post in frege's symbols instead of words. and how you didn't mention any argument at all (especially not an argument about history!)
it's a good thing we dump that rhetoric nonsense back then, i'm surprised we didn't give up on speech with boole.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.