[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go to half price books >purchase Siddartha, The Old Man
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: spirited-away-17.png (396 KB, 640x346) Image search: [Google]
spirited-away-17.png
396 KB, 640x346
>go to half price books
>purchase Siddartha, The Old Man and the Sea, and Voltaire's Candide
>cashier looks at Old man and the Sea and comments "I hated that book, too wordy"
>>
But he's right. That book shouldn't have been written. Anything above 0 words is too wordy for hemmmmmmmingway
>>
>>7818909

that didn't actually happen OP,
>>
>>7818909
>posting banime outside of /a/
>>
>"Worn baby shoes, never for sale."
>>
>>7818922
It did happen. The cashier was a scraggly man in his early 20s. Not obese but not skinny. Tattoos across his arms, and an unkemp beard.

He followed up the comment with "But that's Hemingway for you."
>>
>>7818941
he definitely sounds more patrician than you
>>
Isn't Hemingway incredibly terse and simple?
>>
>>7819047
Old Man and the Sea have some nautical terms but is in general quite simple. I think I had a class or two about Hemingway´s usage of for the time simple and direct language, so I don't think it would even remotely accurate to call his work "wordy" but that's just me.
>>
He was clearly making a small joke you autistic mongoloids. You know, jokes? It's Like memes but irl.
>>
Wow this is a very good thread, I'm extremely impressed. I suppose I will be making /lit/ my new home and everyone knows what that means on 4chan so start giving me all the stuff I need to shitpost about and all the dank memes, I'll have trouble fitting in if I can't shitpost what everyone else shitposts so I'd really appreciate just giving me the lowdown.

inb4 lurk moar it's fucking 2016 just tell me what to do and don't bitch
>>
>>7819137
Really unprofessional cashier, those are the kind of mooks who should be night time janitors instead of annoying customers away.
>>
>>7819047
>>7819137
>>7819348

falling for the b8
>>
>>7819382
Hey there friend it seems nobody responded to my post yet so I'll ask you personally. Could you make privy to me the most used memes and shitposting topics for this board? I'm interested in spending a lot of time here and in order to do this I'll have to be able to fit in, thanks in advance.
>>
File: 1406764674807.png (178 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1406764674807.png
178 KB, 500x500
>>7818923
banananime
>>
>>7819392
>>7819340
Is nobody going to answer me? Do you guys give a fuck about expanding the board population or what? Holy shit just give me some fucking memes and shitposting topics how hard is that? I mean you guys know this board and you know what's up now I wanna be a part of it so fucking let me in holy fuck.
>>
File: 1428868584205.jpg (39 KB, 528x492) Image search: [Google]
1428868584205.jpg
39 KB, 528x492
>>7818924
Fuck that's good.

Send that to some fancy pants lit magazine
>>
>>7818923
Yeah dude, mods would ban anime on a image board made of fucking anime romantics fanbase.
Even the propaganda on the tops and bottom are of anime articles, retard.
>>
>>7819723
>>7819692
Are you guys just ignoring me?

>>7819513
>>
>>7819340
>>7819513
>>7819897
I sincerely hope you enjoy your ban mr. underage :^)
>>
>>7818909
>purchase Siddartha
wew lad
>>
>>7818909
Valid criticism, half the book is describing the pain in his hands while he holds on to the line, and nothing happens between when the fish is hooked and when he finally sells it.
>>
>>7819897
read the wiki, u dingdong
there page of meme
>>
>>7818909
>>7818941
Seems like he's more well read than you. because he's right
>>
>>7818918
You're awesome.
Everybody's dad: 'O literature huh? I like Hemingway.'
Me: 'I don't'
>>
>>7818918
For sale: boring book, never read.
>>
>>7819723
Of course they almost never enforce it, but no posting of anime outside of /a/ is still a global rule.
>>
>>7819904
I'm still here what would I have been banned for? Whatever it doesn't matter I figured out the essential memes to make sure I fit in on this board without ever having to think for myself.

>Vonnegut is total garbage
>P&V are total garbage
>Infinite Jest is the greatest book ever written
>DFW is the greatest author of all time
>Joyce is just nonsense that people pretend to like to look smart

I think this will be enough to fit in, thanks for nothing faggots.
>>
>>7820746
2 of those aren't memes though
>>
any time the drone behind the cash register expresses a negative opinion on a book you're buying, you pretend to think about it for a second, then nod and say "you're right. i don't want to buy this." and make sure their manager hears you.
>>
>>7818909
What actually was the point of that book
>>
>>7818909
Discovered meditation through trying Tai Chi in my teens and realized it was a resonant practice for me. Began proper practice in the Dzhogchen tradition in my 20's and have been meditating off and on for over 23 years with varying degrees of intensity. Began the Ngondro in 2008, my father died and I stopped practice altogether having something like a "Dark Night" experience, started to pick up my practice again and last July, while on my way to get new tires had the following experience:

As I came to a stop at an intersection, a few cars behind the first in line.... suddenly my “perception" shifted.

Things looked perceptually brighter as though a shade had been lifted from my vision. Things had no individual existence, or were “empty” of it but interconnected at every point to one another. There was no center to anything - my experience of my body as the center of the universe was gone, and my perception felt like it came from everywhere and nowhere at the same time. There was no time. I mean that moments were passing, but that the experience of it was gone like I was travelling entirely with the finger of time. I realized that all moments were present, and birth and death were there as well.

It wasn’t frightening, in fact it was delightful. Relaxing, like finally sitting in front of the fire after a long day. Blissful, even. I started to try to characterize this jawdropping experience by describing it to myself. I was worried after I had started to do this, though, that I would “collapse” the experience by trying to reduce it to symbols. The experience continued for about 10 - 15 minutes as the light changed and I drove through more city traffic and a short freeway drive. I came to a stop after exiting the freeway with the feeling still strong in my mind and body, I asked myself what I could do to arrive once again in that fantastic state. A few minutes after a slightly disconnected conversation with man at the tire store counter it fully faded.

After pulling all of the Buddhism books off the shelf I had tried to use to get enlightened by intellectual means over the years and scouring them for an experience that matched mine, I found that a "Satori" sounded most like my experience. I found some similar experiences by intensively searching the internet. I started back with sitting, and went for a first visit to a local Zen monastery and finally found the teacher I had been looking for who agreed with me that my experience was Stream Entry and that the experience and description of my brief visit to the dharmakaya were congruent with her experience.
>>
>>7821281
The upshot for me is that I have abandoned the three fetters, as a Sotapanna would. Also, it is simple for me to dip into emptiness meditation and stay there at a fairly quiet level with little effort, and that meditation arises naturally of it's own accord at any time that there is space (driving/walking to my office, etc.) I have an increased and sustained level of "clarity" about interpersonal things as well as an ability not to take the suffering of others as my own (physically/emotionally feel it as empathy), but to have REAL compassion for them, and that *very significantly* my lifelong problem with anxiety (which included the use of strong medications) is completely gone. I am also driven to meditate. It is no longer a chore but an indulgence. Sitting everyday for between 30 - 40 minutes has deepened many of these effects.
>>
>>7821284
>>7821281
intredasting.epub

i try to practice emptying my mind but your posts make me think i should look into a deeper study of meditation
>>
File: 1457167520058.jpg (54 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
1457167520058.jpg
54 KB, 660x495
>>7820546
You're a girl, aren't you anon?
>>
>>7821359
Negative. The last to ask me was the father of an exgf though. You're Drake aren't you?
And since when does the internet do needlepoint?
>>
I don't understand the hate I'm seeing for this book.
I thought it was pretty good, no difficult language (because the subject was a simple man)
A close look into a characters mind.
Classic man v nature, man v himself
So short that it goes down like a glass of water.
Can't think of anything bad about the book, Hemmingway had the character act exactly as the character, with interesting lessons concerning human's endeavor.
>>
File: 1436787544037.jpg (256 KB, 1000x734) Image search: [Google]
1436787544037.jpg
256 KB, 1000x734
>>7820578
please do not lie to one of the only boards willing to read the rules
>>
>>7818941
Sounds like a patrician who leads the ironic life desu
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.