[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So we have new version of "1984". A world where there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 8173064-12758885.jpg (68 KB, 500x646) Image search: [Google]
8173064-12758885.jpg
68 KB, 500x646
So we have new version of "1984". A world where there is only one religion. Technically not Islam but it is a parabole of Islam since the author is algerian.

Have you heard of it, /lit/ards?
>>
>only one religion, no opportunity to fight over which prophet was least wrong
>dystopian
>>
thats an old idea. and it is one destined to fail.

an example is La zone du dehors.
>>
>>7818539
>comparing a shit-tier science fiction to a great writer
>not considering kinda islamic point of view
>>
Seems interesting enough.
>>
>>7818504
But aren't the bloodies conflicts wars within a faith? ie. Sunnis vs. Shiites in Syria
>>
>>7820247
Aren't the big three (Jews, Christians, Muslims) arguably just variations on the same religion too?
>>
>>7820588
Not exactly but how similar they are is definitely understated. Compared to non-Abrahamic religions they may as well be.
>>
>>7820588
I can't believe that people this fucking stupid are on /lit/
>>
>>7821169
Aside from the strident differences within Islam, he's basically right.
>>
>>7821169
Except he's right, they are all abrahamic religions and are all basically the same fucking things with some disagreements.
Muslims once welcomed Christians and Jews as brothers under Abraham
>>
>>7821169
Pleb alert. According to the members of the religions themselves it's the same god, there's just some disagreement as to who got his words from god and what those words are.
>>
>>7818041
Sansal prose is admirable but this book is dull. He just transposed 1984 in a religious state to the point where Orwell's slogans and situations feels like plagiarized.
It's a short read anyway.
>>
>>7821169
they literally believe in the same god.
The old testament = the torah

And muslims all believe in jesus and moses, just that mohammed was correcting misinterpretations of them
>>
>>7821187
>Pleb alert. According to the members of the religions themselves it's the same god
According to some it's the same God, but there's quite a bit of disagreement on that.
>there's just some disagreement as to who got his words from god and what those words are.
It's not just some disagreement, there's enough disagreement for them to be completely different religions with almost nothing in common aside agreeing on what God is.
>>7821185
>Except he's right, they are all abrahamic religions and are all basically the same fucking things with some disagreements.
That's retarded. It's like saying Kant is basically the same as Plato because he's an idealist.
>Muslims once welcomed Christians and Jews as brothers under Abraham
For a very short time until they went on to conquer Christian lands and generally be obnoxious goatfuckers for the rest of history.
>>
It sounds terrible, a rip of with no creativity.

Also if he really wanted to update Orwell he should have attempted to focus on the soft totalitarianism of contemporary neo-states and how it may develop, not something a 13 year old Trump supporter would come up with.
>>
>>7821169
>triggered christfag
>>
>>7821210
Your illiteracy betrays you. The OT is the Tanakh, T.N.Kh. The T is for Torah, i.e. the five books of Moses.
>>
File: The_Meursault_Investigation[1].jpg (388 KB, 1650x2475) Image search: [Google]
The_Meursault_Investigation[1].jpg
388 KB, 1650x2475
>>7818041
What's with Algerians being so mindbogglingly uncreative? They're basically writing fanfiction now
>>
there is only one true religion though. we all live in the same physical reality so there can be only one true interpretation of it.
>>
>>7821240
>not having read all 3 of the fantastical desert hobo series and surrounding theology makes one illiterate
>>
>>7818041
I took me thirty pages to ascertain it was bad, even though I read it to the end to be sure.

The writing is as didactic as possible, the universe is trite and unimaginative and does not bring anything new to anyone with the slightest knowledge of post-apocalyptic literature.

The only novelty it brings to 1984 is the Maghreb scenary, which includes families and clans rivalry. If you have some notions of how much the "Arab world" is a political clusterfuck, even that feels familiar.

All in all, it is a political statement about how much Islam is weighing down on the Maghreb, and how the region is politcaly desperate. I cannot say I do not respect the guts to write such a thing while having fatwas and death threats thrown in your face everyday, but it should have been an essai, not a pastiche.

3/10 would not gift
>>
>>7821256
You are arguing about those things and you lack basic knowledge of them. So why persist in stupidity?
>>
>>7821269
The real point being made was that abrahamic religions all talk about the same god.
You got hung up on a tiny simplification, done to explain a very simple idea to another poster.

Go calm down you sperg
>>
>>7821278
>The real point being made was that abrahamic religions all talk about the same god.
That's where the similarities end as views on God of Muslims are voluntaristic, unlike for non protestant Christianity. Not to mention everything that goes from having different holy books.
The fact that they talk about the same God on its own doesn't mean much since you could count in Aristotle and Plato with less of a stretch than Muslims and Christians as something similar.
The same God thing is also often disputed.
>You got hung up on a tiny simplification, done to explain a very simple idea to another poster.
It wasn't me.
>Go calm down you sperg
I'm pretty calm.
>>
>>7821244
The French shot all the ones who ever took initiative.
>>
File: clean houellebecq.jpg (25 KB, 600x272) Image search: [Google]
clean houellebecq.jpg
25 KB, 600x272
Isn't this the guy that got praised when Soumission came out because he did it earlier and better or something?

Probably just something they said because he's brown though.
>>
>>7821298
Kind of, Houellebeck did praise him. Soumission is a hundred times better though.
>>
>>7821192
hard transtextuality is common these days
t. Gerard Genette
>>
>>7821228
well the year is 2084, still to come
>>
>>7821244
these are postcolonial versions of existing literary works. They like to re-write myths like for example Patrick Chamoiseau's "A Crusoe's Footprint" about Robinson Crusoe. Pretty good though. And extremely creative at once.
>>
>>7823110
me too, bump
>>
In 2084, there won't be white people so I won't be able to relate
>>
>>7823170
but your children will
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.