[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Success Stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 205x246
I'm new to this board but see that there are some aspiring writers here. Are there actually any examples of /lit/ users who have gotten published?

>inb4 "I self-published on Amazon and 3 people, probably all friends, bought my book"

Not that shit. The bar should be a little higher than that. Self-publishing only counts if the user sold 1000 or more copies.
>>
>>7815517
Who, in all honesty, would want their name to be associated with this place?
>>
yes, that one that one anon who has a scifi young adult book coming out soon from penguin

also, Tao lin

and I'm sure many of us (including myself) have been published in various mags, journals, and won competitions and so on...
>>
None that have really posted there work. I know for a fact there are some people in here who have been published in some lit magazines because I've met them IRL, but evidently they don't brag about it.

I've had a short story get accepted to a lit mag before, wasn't that difficult.
>>
>>7815526
>yes, that one that one anon who has a scifi young adult book coming out soon from penguin

Sauce?

>>7815530
>I've had a short story get accepted to a lit mag before, wasn't that difficult.

Sauce?
>>
I got my fantasy tween book published and it bombed. I also got published in many smaller esque tumblr writing blogs, no pay. Got dozens of erotica on amazon that sell 1-2 copies a month, good income.

So far i think I am going to be Joyce of the 21st centure!
>>
Memoir-kun is probably /lit/s best writer
>>
I've had two short stories published. I've also had some nonfiction published in the form of articles in magazines and on websites.
>>
>>7815517
I self-published and 250 people who I don't know downloaded my book for free.
>>
How does one get into a journal or lit mag?
>>
>>7816844
>>7816974
You submit. You find out their submission guidelines and you send in your stuff.

Nearly all the time you'll get rejected. Then you just find other magazines and submit to them. Rinse and repeat. Keep going even in the face of rejection, because every now and then you'll get accepted, and that makes it all worth it.
>>
>>7815517
I self-published and maybe like 60 people downloaded it for free. However, what's really astounding is that two people (not friends or acquaintances) actually bought it ie. read the preview and liked it enough to pay money for it. I'm pretty happy about it considering it's the only novel I've ever written in my life
>>
>write existential piece about a chucky cheese employee who kidnaps and rapes young teenage girls
>personally go to my local publishing firm and present it to some crabby bitch
>we have like a two hour long session discussing the script
>at the end she says 'I'm not publishing this shit, but I'll suck your dick'
>okaywhynot.jpg
>go home and throw away the script in my shed

I think it went pretty well desu
>>
>>7817162
Nothing printed so far, just online. But I'll keep going.

You have to have a certain degree of self-confidence to keep at it, I do admit. You have to believe you're a good writer even when you get rejected. You have to have the urge to get back on the horse after being thrown off it.
>>
>>7815522
dubs don't lie

4chan as a private anonymous board is fun, but outsiders don't understand the aesthetics of the place, they only see the cancerous politics

4chan as a publicity thing is nothing but an excuse for ignoramii to immediately start slandering your name as a misogynist pedophile school shooter nazi
>>
>>7817308

This is (sadly) accurate.
>>
>>7815517
I've published in a couple small journals, and I've presented a paper at a conference.
>>
>>7815522
>>7817308
>>7817312

you guys are retarded if you think literally anyone gives one shit if you post on 4chan

the vast majority of people don't even know what it is

for example, a bunch of well known cartoon/comic creators have posted on /co/ and nobody cares

hate to break it to you but 4chan really isn't that omg le edgy dark
>>
File: 1429683290603.png (127 KB, 304x400) Image search: [Google]
1429683290603.png
127 KB, 304x400
>>7815517
I've published two novels, the first bombed but the second sold a little under a hundred thousand copies internationally (which is surprising to me because it is significantly less accessible).

Not enough to live off of but I still feel like writing is my real profession (teaching is slowly suffocating me)
>>
>>7817323
Story?

Also, is Tao Lin really one of ours?
>>
>>7817319

I have a somewhat visible, at-will job in the public sector, anon. If word got out I posted on 4-chan, it would likely be bad for my career, regardless of what I actually posted.
>>
>>7817319
The world of cartoons is pretty different from the world of mainstream(ish) literary publication though.
Just look at the proportion of women to men in publishing. What do you think a bunch of left leaning women would do if there's a wiff of this place around you??
http://blog.leeandlow.com/2016/01/26/where-is-the-diversity-in-publishing-the-2015-diversity-baseline-survey-results/
>>
>>7817333
He references 4chan in Taipei.
>>
>>7817333
>Is Tao Lin one of ours?
No, but Mira Gonzalez shills here from time to time.
>>
>>7817326
College prof, or teaching the kids? With a decent publication under your belt you may at least be able to get a job with a better school that lets you take a lighter course load/have better opportunities for sabbaticals.
>>
>>7817346
He used to shill his stuff a while back, hence the "go to bed tao" posts.
>>
>>7817333
He just comes here to shill his books and maybe his friends books.
>>
>>7817346
To be honest, if I were her I'd do the same thing.
>>
>>7817355
>implying we want to read about her yeast infection
>>
>>7817360
What if it were artfully written?
>>
>>7817323
>>7817335

4chan is really just like any other public Internet forum

if you don't do really stupid shit, no-one's going to care
>>
totalitarianism in a tundra
>>
>>7817402
Screencaps? Or at least a pitchfork link?
>>
>>7817385
>if you don't do stupid shit
Because you totally have a username people can use to ensure they can tell you apart from the neo-nazis and furfags. Yep.
>>
>>7817402
Supposedly, Lorde used /mu/.
>>
File: 1455323236036.gif (871 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
1455323236036.gif
871 KB, 245x230
>>7817470
>DIIV
>>
>>7817326
It feels good the pretend.
>>
If he was a tripfag he got exactly what he deserved.
>>
I was serialized once in a print lit mag. It sounds great and at the time I was thrilled but, looking back, the story wasn't good.

I'm not proud of it, even though it was in three issues. I don't know what the editors were thinking. Getting published in a literary journal seems wonderful but writing something that is actually good is (believe it or not) much, much more difficult. Sure eyou can write tripe like Weir and have ad men gobble it up once its already proven to perform well on your own social media, but I don't feel any better for having my literary serial behind me.

No one knows my name, no one read read my story, the mag was a small readership, and I guess that's the best thing to come out of it: I'm still no one. Fuck. My writing is garbage, /lit/.
>>
>>7817470

>He was using his fucking name for his tripcode

Well, Devin...
>>
I'm actually a low profile politician in a third world country.
inb4 Kim jong Une
>>
My brother was connected, knew I had a punny mind, let me earn some money writing greeting cards. I wrote over 1500, some of which were used. Made 20k that year.

That's all I've gotten published, 2 bee honesst family home evening.
>>
>>7817499
Not only that, he was posting under a trip code that was his name AND SAYING NIGGER AND FAGGOT.

Max Landis posts on /tv/ all the fucking time, but when his trip is on he never ever uses our favorite naughty words. I'll bet he uses them all the time when he posts anonymously. He just has a modicum of intelligence about how to behave on the internet.
>>
>>7817471
A lot of famous musicians use or used /mu/. There are also quite some famous animators on /co/.
>>
>>7815517
I try my best to introduce cool people to this board, seeing as the microcosm here can be so swayed by just a few posters. I'm too young to have much success, but the son of a very respected travel writer posts here, you might see him talking about Persian lit. It's not much, but he's the kind of Oxford autist who'll bring a good crowd.
>>
File: its-stephen-king.jpg (43 KB, 556x707) Image search: [Google]
its-stephen-king.jpg
43 KB, 556x707
Stephen King reporting in.

Little known fact: I threw away my early pages for Carrie. However, usually I tell the story that my wife dug it out of the trash and demanded I see it through to the end.

But in reality, I was visited by a time traveler, who took me forward to 2014. I posted some of it on /lit/, and it was so well received by the community (excluding the patricians), that when I got back to my own time I snorted some coke and finished it in a week.

So thanks, /lit/. I wouldn't have a career without you.
>>
>>7817902
>you might see him talking about Persian lit
I'm a persian lit aficianado and nobody ever talks about that here
>>
>>7818507
This funny.
>>
>>7818540
Sometimes people bring up the rubberhat of Omar Khaiyam.
It'd be nice to have a big thread on that, maximum comfortdrive.
>>
>>7818507
Carrie is probably King's least pleb book, actually. He at least tried to use a non-linear structure.
>>
There are people on /lit/ living from literature.

But they won't dare associate their names to 4chan. It is horrible publicity.

4chan is famous for being:

>racist
>xenophobic
>hopelessly virgin
>anti-women
>anti-gays
>pompous and pedantic

If you ever become succesful, please don't reveal your power level. It is an attention you don't want to earn.
>>
none exist.
>>
>>7815517

Yes but it was a technical book. The publisher (Pearson/SAMS) approached me and asked me if I would be interested in writing a book.

The book had good reviews. Part of SAM's "UNLEASHED" series.

Still no success in literature.
>>
Well, just sent out my detective manuscript to a few different agents. One was even solicited. Fingers crossed, OP, I could be your guy.
>>
>>7820929

premise? post the first page?
>>
I'm bearing down on my dozenth published piece (most digital, some in print) but it's getting slower as I'm entering competitions rather than just submitting to various zines, so takes 6 months to find out if you got in rather than just the one. It's awright. Nice dopamine hit.
>>
>>7821005
Congratulations, man.

Have you tried to leverage your publication history in any way? Maybe get invited to a conference, or get a book deal? You could bundle your stories together and sell them as a collection.
>>
>>7821017
Thanks.
Leverage it? When I submit things to zines with higher standards, I like to be able to tell them that I've had work published by such-and-such other zines. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. I'm waiting for a fledgling publisher to get back to me on whether or not they'll be interested in doing a small collection but chances are they won't, publishers rarely want to publish short stories by mostly-unknowns.
>>
>>7815517
I've had a few poems published digitally.

Never made any money at it obviously.

I'm young, though.
>>
File: 1428266386734-1.png (376 KB, 495x461) Image search: [Google]
1428266386734-1.png
376 KB, 495x461
>Are there actually any examples of /lit/ users who have gotten published?
>>
>>7818894
If you truly want to capture the essence of the Internet you can't write/talk about facebook & twitter alone, you'll have to include the mauretanian model train muchacho boards too
>>
>>7815517
I got a short story published in my university's Arts Review this year. I personally think it's derivative garbage but oh well. Hopefully nobody on the review board browses /lit/ tee hee

http://docdro.id/HZbVQdh
>>
>>7821599
Wow what a great contribution to the discussion. Very original.
>>
>>7823370
I read your stories on tumblr. Very good stuff.

>>7821599
Don't you know everyone here is a genius, rich, and cool?
>>
>>7817385
This>>7817466

The beauty/problem of 4chan's anonymity is that everyone is at once a cockloving/homophobic alt right/liberal etc.
>>
I'm going to try to get my novel published, and if that doesn't work I'm going to self-publish it, and then I'm going to kill myself. Hopefully that will get the ball rolling.
>>
>>7823442
Wait some time before killing yourself, you might miss your success
>>
get pubbed this year, great reviews. hyped
>>
File: 1406225824627.gif (3 MB, 600x310) Image search: [Google]
1406225824627.gif
3 MB, 600x310
>all these anons experiencing success, albeit small
>I still cant even get over myself enough to finish my own damn novella
>>
>>7815517
well i was going to get a short story published in high school, but the principal lost his shit because it was about drugs and a guy losing his virginity. Little did he know, at a catholic school everyone was a whore
>>
>>7816425
This
>>
>>7817220
I've had a few randoms buy mine as well. Like 4 people, but 2 were from Australia weirdly. And going by the normalized pages read, they actually finished it. Even with such a low number it's cool to know some random schmuck out there read your work.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.