[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> ask my catholic friend how he feels about the pope declaring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: design.jpg (30 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
design.jpg
30 KB, 600x600
> ask my catholic friend how he feels about the pope declaring all dogs go to heaven
> " thats great! I'v had 4 dogs in my time. This is wonderful"
> "So, are they gunna rewrite the bible to introduce the new ruling on dogs?"
> " No the bible is the bible. They will never change it."
> " Fair enough. so how is everyone supposed to know about it the ruling"
> " On tv, the internet. Youre not even catholic and you know about it"
> " So if I were an isolated farmer in Ireland, reading the bible as the only way for guidance, how would I know if my dogs go to heaven"
>'Why does it matter? It doesnt affect your salvation does it? Dogs are so minimal on your journey to god."
> " Some people love dogs just as much as humans. I can imagine people of faith would like to know whats going to happen to their animals/pets."
> " Youre a muslim, why do you even care about dogs?"
> " I can sympathize for people that do"

He goes on to talk about the Vatican and how god wanted his own country and a spot at the UN and got it and tells me that thats proof enough ect.

This was the first genuine Catholic Iv ever met. Am I missing something - is he right/ Does it really matter?
>>
File: 1417836712251.jpg (48 KB, 900x677) Image search: [Google]
1417836712251.jpg
48 KB, 900x677
>post-Vatican II """"""""""""Catholic"""""""""""" church
way too fuckin epic
>>
>>7812158
I-Im sorry. What
>>
This isn't Reddit, faggot.
>>
>>7812134

Even rural Ireland has access to the internet, printed media and so on. I'm sure there will not be too much trouble getting the word out.
>>
Tend to your own garden, if you worry too much about the weeds in another's you will soon find them in your own also.
>>
>>7812163
Catholicism is dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Vatican_Council
>>
>>7812134
Whatever the Pope says is law, thats what being a Catholic is, stupid edgy faggots have had a thousand years to go join the Orthodox Church if they don't like it
>>
File: Pope-Leo-X.jpg (93 KB, 728x894) Image search: [Google]
Pope-Leo-X.jpg
93 KB, 728x894
>>7812175
>>7812158
>believes in the meme that Vatican II was the jumping the shark moment for the church
>mfw actually aware of the history of the Church
>>
>>7812177
people are biased, swayed, and opinionated. How can a mans word be flawless if his cognition is flawed
>>
File: 1446508601706.jpg (178 KB, 888x1120) Image search: [Google]
1446508601706.jpg
178 KB, 888x1120
>>7812134
>>7812177
The Pope saying something and the Pope declaring something Ex-Cathedra to establish something as dogma are two entirely different things

Learn the facts before you don the fedora
>>
>>7812192
Because when an individual is swayed biased and opinioned its innocent idioticness that is so easy to recognize.
What is different is when systems and societies are biased swayed and opinionated, thats the purpose of the Pope, to have an actual individual mind to keep a grip on the bullshit.

>also mfw I heard someone unironically claim Francis is the worst Pope in history
>>
>>7812201
You think the popes ideologies and cognitive patterns stay firm from talking to countless leaders - all hitting the extreme ends of the social spectrum?

really?
>>
>Catholics
>read the bible

lol
>>
>>7812220
Thats the point though, it doesn't matter if the Pope is biased, even if he is corrupt, what matters is that he is a conscious mind that can see the world for what it is, even on some repressed level, in a way that compromising systems and crowd psychology can not
>>
File: beech-grove-i.jpg (2 MB, 2536x2544) Image search: [Google]
beech-grove-i.jpg
2 MB, 2536x2544
>>7812197
The pope declaring the ruling on dogs is dogma. But your implying his incontrovertibly on matters.

I mean, from a religious pov, these people can make or break a new religious guidelines and because of there title, its "word from god". Thats sketch by its own means
>>
>>7812134
Fuck, dogs are going to heaven now?
I hate dogs.
I guess I'm protestant now.
>>
>>7812177
>>7812192
>>7812201
>>7812220
>>7812238
There are numerous quotes by various Popes asserting their definite fallibility

"The Pope is not an oracle; he is infallible in very rare situations, as we know." - Benedict XVI

"I am only infallible if I speak infallibly but I shall never do that, so I am not infallible." - John XXIII

>>7812244
>The pope declaring the ruling on dogs is dogma

Considering the last declaration by a pope made ex-cathedra was in the 50s I think you've fundamentally misunderstood someone's assertions
>>
>>7812238
Whats your definition of consciousness in this context? someone religiously aware? The whole idea is that everyone is conscious, and someone who perceives an idea or a philosophy differently is called having an "opinion".

From what you said, it doesnt matter if his ideologies are biased or swayed for the worst. Simply, his title grants him dogma.
>>
>>7812261
>his title grants him dogma

But that's blatantly wrong, see >>7812197

You should probably learn a little bit about the Catholic faith before criticizing it
>>
>>7812268
That doesn't contradict his point, his title still grants him dogma, its just that not everything he says is dogma
>>
>>7812261
Essentially yes, religiously aware in the sense in which he feels himself a connection to an underlying truth of reality beyond social discourses and ideologies, whether that is granted from the subconscious or from spiritiual connection.

>>7812260
This quote is wonderful to that end:
"I am only infallible if I speak infallibly but I shall never do that, so I am not infallible."
You have to understand that in its contradiction that he is saying I am subconsciously recognizing I am an idiot and this position is prone to mistakes, but still we have to play a long with it despite that to keep things in order.
>>
>>7812278
His title allows him to declare new dogma in congregation with the body of bishops on certain facts that have already for centuries been believed.
He has no power over previously held dogma and cannot alone establish a dogma out of thin air.
Dogs also do not go to haven and knowing the Catholic beliefs has only recently become a problem- before, see Joyce for example, boys had a very hardcore education in Catholic beliefs and every village had a priest.
Also ignorantio iuris excusat as far as more complex matters of faith go.
>>
>>7812278
That's like asserting that a President telling you about a new law is tantamount to them being able to establish new laws whenever they want

There is a very complex and lengthy process involved in establishing something ex cathedra (there is a reason it rarely occurs), and when something is agreed upon it invariably must not manifest itself in any manner of temporal power.

The necessary trials needed to become Pope, the church structure underlying this position and the spiritual nature of dogmatic law all naturally trend away from temporal corruption and towards genuine ecclesiastic law
>>
>>7812324
>tfw Catholic church is the closest thing to a perfect state because the rules have become philosophers and philosophers have become rulers
>>
>>7812350
>tfw you will never live in one of the Golden Pockets of history where you are born and die in an entirely Catholic town with a moral foundation that isn't crumbling
>tfw you will never know the joy of living with a community under one truth
>>
>>7812134
So your religious friend is full of shit and totally unaware of the full implications of his opinions.

Surprise.
>>
>>7812370
>tfw you will never be born into, and live within a family of medieval farmers.
>tfw you will never be looked upon kindly by the local priest.
>tfw you will never be taken out of the village and educated in latin and greek, all while learning how to interpret the bible and catholic teachings
>tfw you will not die old, surrounded by hundreds of ancient texts after living a long life teaching the word of God
>>
>>7812376
Sounds like OP is the uneducated asshole (or at least underaged) in this scenario t b h

>is Muslim
>a religion that acutely understands the importance of fidelity to revealed truth
>asks if the contemporary Pope will re-write the Bible

Seems like he was just being facetious towards Catholicism for the sake of being facetious
>>
>>7812390
>tfw you will never be born into, and live within a family of medieval farmers.
>tfw you will never live a crude, uncomfortable, uneducated life
>tfw you will never watch as dozens of the townsfolk you know and love drop like flies to a disease you can only cognize as divine judgement
>tfw you will never die at the ripe old age of twenty-six, done in by twenty hours of hard labour a day for a Lord you will never even see, let alone meet or understand
>>
>>7812403
Seems like a pretty good deal
>>
File: 1456522119117.jpg (194 KB, 612x816) Image search: [Google]
1456522119117.jpg
194 KB, 612x816
>>7812134
But we already knew that all dogs go to heaven
>>
>>7812134
>pope says something
>it must be true
>>
File: smug porky pig.jpg (39 KB, 411x395) Image search: [Google]
smug porky pig.jpg
39 KB, 411x395
>papal infallibility
>>
>>7812391
>>7812391
Wait, how does my beliefs tie into my curiosity? How was i being factious. i was sincere in my questions, thats all. I mean, if a new ruling was announced, I dont know if its gunna be put in the bible or not. This is the laws of the Catholics, i only assume it has to be put somewhere with easy access.
>>
>>7812403
>20 hour a day
Fucking peasants slacking again.
>>
What is his basis for this all of a sudden?
>>
>>7812663
>Wait, how does my beliefs tie into my curiosity?
You dislike Catholicism
>How was i being factious. i was sincere in my questions, thats all.
You could have asked the internet or as you live in a western country since you'd kill him in a Muslim one, you probably did know that you don't add to your holy text, unless you are seriously retarded.
>I mean, if a new ruling was announced, I dont know if its gunna be put in the bible or not.
Of course you do, you didn't hear of it for the first time.
>This is the laws of the Catholics, i only assume it has to be put somewhere with easy access.
It's books like it's always been.
>>
>>7812232
>>Catholics
>>read the bible
>lol
this desu
>>
>>7812134
He's right. Why the hell does it matter? You'll find out when you're dead, stupid nigger.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.