[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking on it, aren't most literary geniuses recognized
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: james-joyce.jpg (38 KB, 448x293) Image search: [Google]
james-joyce.jpg
38 KB, 448x293
Thinking on it, aren't most literary geniuses recognized in their lifetimes?

It doesn't happen right away, true. It usually occurs when they're old men/women, and they had to toil decades in obscurity first. However, it seems to me that sooner or later the public does come to recognize and celebrate genuinely talented writers before they die. Even Kafka had a certain degree of fame in his lifetime.

The only genius I can think of who went totally unacknowledged in his life was Melville, and he's sort of the exception that proves the rule.
>>
File: 0463 - 3bniMcR.jpg (141 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
0463 - 3bniMcR.jpg
141 KB, 803x688
>exception that proves the rule.
pic related

Also
>Shakespeare
>Euripides
>Luis de Gongora
>Jean Racine
>>
>>7811924
>>7812046
I would say most literary geniuses who are ever recognized are recognized in their life.
Those who are never recognized at all is another question
>>
>>7811924
Virgil died before completing his masterpiece and ordered it to be burned
>>
>>7811924
Melville was actually a very popular author BEFORE Moby Dick. He published Typee to unprecedented publicity and sales, and a publisher snatched up his second novel without even looking at it.

The public hated Moby Dick and ignored him ever afterwards.

Othewise, I agree with you. There haven't been many truly brilliant authors who went totally unnoticed in their own times. The guy who wrote Confederacy of Dunces is maybe the worst case that I can think of.
>>
>>7812046
Shakespeare was extraordinarily popular in his own day.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.