[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>finish Finn Wake >think of the thread on here about how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
>finish Finn Wake
>think of the thread on here about how Joyce said the ideal reader would go right back to the beginning and read it again
>try it
>notice the last line and the first line of the book are one sentence

you guys probably already knew this but I think its neat

Finn Wake general?
>>
are you going to read it again?
>>
I've only read Dubliners, tried to read Portrait of a Young Man as an artist and couldn't quite get into it. How is Finnegan's Wake?
>>
>>7809618
>How is finnegans wake
confusing. Im not going to sit here with the pretension of understanding it, in fact I didnt expect to I only started reading out of boredom and continued because of the.. lyricism I guess.

its just really poetic and beautifully written, I really love the prose

>>7809615
Eventually
>>
File: 6874781301_96db7e98fa_o.jpg (69 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
6874781301_96db7e98fa_o.jpg
69 KB, 480x640
Wow you finished it? Did you read it with a supplementary text?

I'm reading Ulysses right now and I'm very interested in Finnegan's wake as well as Joseph Campbells book on it.

After reading it do you feel like you grasped an overall plot?
>>
>>7809992
I say this in every Finnegans Wake thread, but it really does bear repeating.

Don't go into it like it's a puzzle that has a solution. It doesn't. It's a dream. You can interpret a dream but your interpretation will always be subjective and impossible to prove.
>>
>>7810000
Very nice quads, but the "it doesn't make sense lol" meme bears addressing. You can come at the piece as a mismash of nonsense, but there are distinct meanings Joyce expected people to get.
>>
>>7810026
You misunderstood me. It's not that it doesn't make sense, it's that it's designed with a plurality or overabundance of meanings to the point where they've become noise--much like symbols and images in a dream that have various associations but no one "correct" or definitive meaning.
>>
>>7810045
They have limited meanings. They have more meanings than writing in English alone could grant them, but they are not as multivalent as meanings are in other languages he uses to give greater depth to English. While it is layered for sound, it is not infinitely deep. This is why some Irish writers who were aware of what a cheap trick that is soured to Joyce because he's not even comparably good at that trick compared to other writers who combined the languages involved.
>>
Did you read it out loud?
>>
What do you guys say about this:

"Finnegans Wake is the book equivalent of an acid trip. It's not so much about its true meanings, but rather about the permutations of different meanings you give to the experience of reading it." - Me, Today
>>
>>7811331
What about reading it on acid
>>
>>7811342
Do it, faggot.

My library has an entire shelf with books about Finnegans Wake. About the double of Ulysses, and I'm already struggling with that one.
>>
>>7811342

I'd say it's one of the few book that might improve on acid, tbqh
>>
Is A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake really any good? Is it worth the money?
>>
>>7811398

If what I said is real>>7811331

Then I'd say it will only limit your experience to the book. Maybe read it after you've read the book once already.
>>
>>7810372
>he's not even comparably good at that trick compared to other writers who combined the languages involved.
Who are you thinking of?
>>
>>7811402
Thanks.

I've read Ulysses and struggled with some parts. Luckily, my professor spent almost a month teaching Joyce and Ulysses in class, so I managed to figure out what those parts were about. There's just no way I could understand it to a decent extent myself. The Wake will have to wait.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.