[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>try to read philosophy >be a native english speaker but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 91ywLmDOFVL[1].jpg (649 KB, 1637x2502) Image search: [Google]
91ywLmDOFVL[1].jpg
649 KB, 1637x2502
>try to read philosophy
>be a native english speaker but essays are not that easy to understand, feels like i'm not understanding it completely
>reading pic related
>feels like reading philosophy
how do i become a better reader?

i can read popular modern fiction (e.g. game of thrones) and nonfiction (e.g. guns, germs and steel) very easily, but some books actually seem harder to read (e.g. philosophical works)
>>
increase your vocab, duh.
>>
you have to work your way up by reading gradually more difficult works, you can't just jump in the deep end and expect to understand every reference in ulysses if all you've read is game of thrones. borges is very esoteric and reference-heavy.
>>
>>7808550
>>7808560

Sorry, OP, but these two jokers are wrong. You have no hope and should probably quit reading forever. In high school, I went straight from reading pleb genre fiction in junior year to Gravity's Rainbow/difficult meme books in senior year with no progression whatsoever. Reading difficult books is a skill that you're born with so you either have it or you don't. Stop trying to be something you're not and go read Rothfuss/Green or never read again.
>>
>>7808583
reddit.com/r/iamverysmart
>>
>>7808545
>Guns, Memes, and Steel
>Not fiction
>>7808706
Please leave this board.
>>
>>7808545

Stop picking intentionally cryptic 'prove my smarts' things. Read short stories by middlebrow authors (google PEN Faulkner) and work your way up from the cliche addiction instilled in you by genre fiction, tv, hollywood, vidya.
>>
>>7808583
>reading pleb genre fictio

>he didn't SWTG
how pleb can you get
>>
>>7808545
you're trying too hard to be patrician.
>>
>>7808715
see >>7808706
>>
Might as well post this here:

I'm a native spanish-speaker and I'm currently learning German. Learning German is kind of a lifetime project for me, since I really like the language. What would be a good progression to go from baby's first Nebensatz to patriciandom?
>>
>>7809016
>learning german is kind of a lifetime project for me
what do you mean?
>>
>>7809064
I'm aware that german is a tough language, and that it has an absurdly big amount of words, yet I love it. So, I want to learn german during my entire life (actively expand my vocabulary and knowledge of the language, until I die).
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.