[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to read through Things Fall Apart.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: images (13).jpg (9 KB, 227x222) Image search: [Google]
images (13).jpg
9 KB, 227x222
So far it's basically lol yams which it what other people had warned in previous threads. There are also small bits of cucking thrown in here. This is for my World Literature class but I'm ready to write a summary based on just what I've read so far plus some secondary sources. The level of nostalgia he seems to have towards 3rd world barbarism makes me sick.
>>
A shit ton of wrestling. Does it get any better or what is the deal?
>>
it's just Heart of Darkness from the African perspective
>>
>>7808650
Well I knew that since our teacher had us read large amounts of HoD. It's just so banal and trance like whereas I got a real sense of excitement from reading Conrad.
>>
>>7808371
99% of the reason TFA is assigned is because it's the only book anyone can name by a black African
>>
>>7808371
>The level of nostalgia he seems to have towards 3rd world barbarism makes me sick.
Read better faggot.
Think of the main character of TFA, Okonkwo, a the protagonist of a classic Greek drama(which TFA is styled like). His main flaw is his rigid traditionalism, which leads to various problems for him and ultimately his undoing - this become more apparent by the end of the book though, maybe you haven't gotten there yet. You're not supposed to think Okonkwo is a great guy for his thoughtless adherence to his traditions. The main source of tragedy in TFA is Okonkwo's unability to reconsider his worldview, contrasted with the world around him which is rapidly changing under the impulse of colonialism. Few of the things introduced by the British throughout TFA can be called malignant, and the issues of the traditional Igbo social structure are laid bare - the British aren't the bad guys. Shit, they hardly matter at all. TFA is about the dramatic changes this traditional Igbo world undergoes with the British takeover, but I wouldn't call Achebe 'nostalgic' for those traditions. He's well aware of their flaws(the other parts of his African Trilogy make this clearer), but he also wants to depict this world that no longer exists because European empires swept it away.
>>
>>7808371
How old are OP? You seem to be finding it surprisingly difficult to appreciate the novel; it’s a not very hard novel – either in its themes or in its use of language – but there is more to it than ‘lol yams’ or ‘muh culture’; and even though it is partly popular because it is about African culture, and may have been introduced to you as a way to increase the diversity, it is still a decent novel – and whatever Achebe had to say about Conrad does not change that.
>>
>>7810509
21. That's exactly the problem. I find it to be more stylistically simplistic especially when compared to Conrad's writing. The diversity seems to be shoved down our throats though and you honestly can't remove the work from the author and therefore it is tied to Conrad significantly. I love literature from other cultures so it's not that I'm some indifferent fool who only cares to read about "people like himself".
>>7810176
Thanks, faggot. My problem lied in part because when I went into the novel my thought process didn't "Start with the Greeks". It's been a while since I've read classic Greek drama but that helps in guiding me. Like I said I hadn't read that much at that point so I'll admit I probably couldn't say what Achebe thought or what I was suppose to think about the text for that matter.

Thanks for the replies everyone. If the thread lives for a while longer I will probably report back on my progress with the novel.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.