[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into Don Quixote? I want to get it but I also want to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Don-Quixote.png (374 KB, 387x600) Image search: [Google]
Don-Quixote.png
374 KB, 387x600
How do I into Don Quixote? I want to get it but I also want to make sure I get a good translation. Are there any that are preferred or some that should definitely be avoided?
>>
Grossman
>>
I got the penguin classics version translated by Rutherford. It was coherent and I enjoyed it.
>>
>tfw don't know Spanish so have to read shitty translations of books
>>
Ahaha. I bought it for my gf on Christmas. She read it in January and was horribly repulsive about it.
"They said it's a comedy. They say it's the best comedy. But all the book is about is an old pathetic fool with a broken gear in his head and the people that make fun on him and laugh at him. I hate it and I never laughed during it, it makes me want to cry."
>>
>>7807668

The best humour usually makes me want to cry if I think about it too much though.
>>
People usually like Smollett the most. I'm reading Grossman's right now, people seem to like it less than Smollett, but it's still quite competent.
>>
read it in spanish
>>
>>7807791
Is it true the Spanish it was written in is hard to understand for Spanish speakers of today? Or is that just memes?
>>
>>7807911
It's kind of archaic yes, but if you're not dumb even medieval spanish is fairly easy to understand
>>
>>7807923
But what about an American just learning Spanish as a second language, surely you'd have some trouble with it
>>
>>7807942
That's true

> En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor. Una olla de algo más vaca que carnero, salpicón las más noches, duelos y quebrantos los sábados, lentejas los viernes, algún palomino de añadidura los domingos, consumían las tres partes de su hacienda.

that's the first sentence, for reference. If you got most of that it should be alright
>>
>>7807958

That's two sentences, anon.
>>
>>7807967
my bad
>>
>>7807668
As soon as you finish reading this post, grab your phone and dump her with a text. Never think about her again.
>>
>>7807388
Read one of those shitty medieval romances to get a feel for what Cervantes makes fun of. I've read Tristan and Isolde and it was quite useful
>>
File: 0.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>7807668
>gf

reee
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.