[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What one book would you recommend someone to read if they asked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (169 KB, 720x970) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169 KB, 720x970
What one book would you recommend someone to read if they asked what the greatest book of all time was?
>>
atlas shrugged
>>
The Tao Te Ching, probably
>>
>>7806983
I'd post a photo of a girl with a transvestite's face

Fag
>>
Moby Dick and The Karamazov Brothers are some solid 'greatest book of all time' contenders
>>
id give some flippant, ironic answer thatd protect my actual views and presumable values from scrutiny, like "oh heh i dunno i hear rl stine's haunted mask is pretty hot" and then wed laugh about it and id change the subject and hopefully theyd forget and not press me for a real answer that could make me look stupid or criticisable

if i was at gunpoint forced to be sincere i guess i'd go with some safe thing i don't actually think like "hmm perhaps hamlet"
>>
While no means the most influential book of all time, it is certainly one of the greatest in its genre.
>>
>>7806983
Novel: War and Peace
Poem: The Divine Comedy
Play: Hamlet
>>
A Hundred Years of Solitude imo
>>
The Illiad, The Republic or Paradise Lost
>>
The Stranger
>>
>>7806983
The Bible
>>
Siddhartha.
>>
>>7808165
That's not even good as far as fantasy writing goes.
>>
>>7808178

w e w
>>
File: taylorswift.jpg (121 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
taylorswift.jpg
121 KB, 720x1280
If Taylor Swift was a book, what book would she be?
>>
>>7808191
My dream diary desu
>>
>>7808191
obnoxiously attractive

might as well be a filled dripping heroin needle in front of a restrained junkie

fuck you taylor swift
>>
>>7806983
>>
The Tunnel.
>>
Novel: The Trial
Play: Hamlet
Poem: Paradife Loft
>>
>>7808290
>f
Whew lad
>>
File: TaylorSwift2.jpg (2 MB, 2848x4288) Image search: [Google]
TaylorSwift2.jpg
2 MB, 2848x4288
>>7808248
I had a dream about her the other night, it was great. She was a princess.
>>
>>7806983

Don Quixote
>>
obviously moby dick
>>
The Birds, The Frogs, & The Mosquitoes
>>
>>7806983
The Martian.
>>
>>7808401
except that she fucks black dudes.
>>
>>7808178
What a pathetic comment.

>>7806983
Moby Dick.
>>
File: beheadheretics.jpg (23 KB, 300x216) Image search: [Google]
beheadheretics.jpg
23 KB, 300x216
>>7809865
Filthy lies from the Jewish media
>>
>>7806999

Why even reply to the thread?
>>
>>7808191

>The berenstein bears
>>
who is that semen demon?
>>
>>7809887
Berenstain
>>
>>7810940
Still fucking gets me
>>
>>7810826
Taylor Swift's bestie.
>>
>>7806983
probably moby dick, just for raw power
>>
karlie
>>
>>7806999
This is the man of today
>>
I would want to say Gravity's Rainbow but I would probably say Moby-Dick.
>>
East of Eden. I've been telling people about it for years, and so far, no other book has captivated me so much that I would even consider switching it for Eden.
>>
Is Karlie the ubermensch? She's literally perfect in every way.
>>
>>7811986
I read Grapes recently and I liked it.

Now you got me hyped for Eden.
>>
>>7806987

baite
>>
>>7806994
Whooooo man, stop joking. Moby dick is the worst book i have ever read. It's shit
>>
File: 2c7e2c84653f3abb7fbb.png (366 KB, 496x485) Image search: [Google]
2c7e2c84653f3abb7fbb.png
366 KB, 496x485
>>7811996
>>
>>7811991

Man, I'm halfway through Grapes and so far, it's really good but nowhere in the scope of East of Eden. That book is a manichean masterpiece, it contains all the aspects of human experience - from love to hate, beauty to disgust, comfort to pain, hope to apathy, knowledge to ignorance - and it knits them and contrasts them together. All while being extremely readable, with great lyrical descriptions and living and breathing dialogues.

Brothers Karamazov comes nowhere close - it has great passages, but far too few and far too much apart (buffered by boring slog). Moby Dick comes close, but it still can't contest.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.