[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 28921.jpg (30 KB, 302x475) Image search: [Google]
28921.jpg
30 KB, 302x475
Is it worth reading?
>>
>>7804806
why don't you read it and work it out for yourself you stupid lazy fucker

yes of course it is, it's brilliant
you stupid lazy fucker
>>
it's the most british book ever
>>
>>7804806
Yes. It's one of the best books written in the last 30 years or so. Hilarious and heartbreaking.
>>
I didn't find it funny at all like the above anon but I agree it's heartbreaking. maybe it wasn't funny to me because it hit so close to home.
>>
>>7805132

I think Stevens' descriptions of the English countryside and during his trip are full of humor. To put it in a more clear (and cliched) manner, I'm laughing with him, not at him.

The book hit tremendously close to home for me too, and caused me to really reevaluate my life and career and make some significant changes.
>>
Lol when he's trying to joke around with the American cunt was hilarious.
>>
>>7804853
>>7805014
what's so brilliant and hilarious about the book?

read it, just about a butler who might ahve autism. and in the end you find out he liked the maid and almost had a chance with her, but he kept on making excuses that he was dedicated to his job or something along those lines

>>7805214
what's one funny part of his trip along the countryside?
>>
i also think this has some of the best prose ever written.
>>
>>7805376

It's been a while, but his description of how perfect the English countryside is precisely because it isn't as big or impressive or as sightly as the American countryside made me chuckle. There were all kinds of things like that throughout the book.
>>
Yes it's a fucking great book. Compare and contrast with An Artist of the Floating World. They're both fantastic. So many feels.

>>7805376
You're retarded.
>>
>>7805376
>just about a butler who might ahve autism
I think you're too young for this book
>>
>>7805376
>what's so brilliant and hilarious about the book?

Hilarity stems from the narrator's autism, and brilliancy from the fact that it's a perfect depiction of the way society (mostly upper class, aristocracy) changed after the war.
>>
>>7804806
Yes, it is worth reading in a way that Downtown Abbey is worth watching. Self-indulgent British fuss over whether to fire my butler or not during tea time. Gawdy, overplayed and overanalyzed rationalizations to the core. Characters are literally stupid and then they expect the reader's sympathy. But it does make you question WHY are these people not using their heads! So worth a read if you like seeing retards in a 'British' setting.

>>7804864
written by a Jap!

>>7804864
What's so 'British' about it? The fact that he was a dumb lackey who could hardly think for himself.
>>
>>7806002
it's piss-taking
americans can't into bantz
>>
>>7806002
You know that "Jap" grew up in England and was raised British right?
>>
Definitely. One of the saddest books I've read.
>>
File: remainsoftheday.png (513 KB, 1008x387) Image search: [Google]
remainsoftheday.png
513 KB, 1008x387
It is an insightful read for people who wish to dedicate their lives solely to one subject, ESPECIALLY if that subject is dependent upon another person.

Really reminded me of Infinite Jest actually, where Marathe and Steeply talk about how it is almost impossible to avoid addiction of some kind, but that one has the choice of the object of their addiction. The butler's almost autism-level of withdrawal reminded me of Hal.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.