[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kafka - The Castle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 180x281) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 180x281
I started reading this and I'm about 40 pages in and so far it's really weird. I read The Trial and Metamorphosis and loved both but this one is significantly tougher. What does /lit/ think about it?
>>
I thought there was some good imagery in it and it was enjoyable enough but the fact that my edition ended abruptly, mid sentence, kind of made it somewhat a waste of time. The trial was unfinished but at least had some sort of ending. The castle is a book that just builds literally to nothing because it was so unfinished. Enjoy the ride but don't expect any closure at the end, I guess is what i'm trying to say.
>>
>>7803653
>my edition ended abruptly

Are there editions that don't end mid sentence, or what?
>>
>>7803475
I had to write an exam on it in school and for the first time, got a bad grade because the teacher told me my interpretation was wrong and it was all about him wanting to fuck his dad or something.

So fuck that story.
>>
it's great, obviously, but imo pretty weak by kafka standards.

>>7803653
>>7803653
one way of reading it (the good way) is that since the structure of the novel is that of an infinite spiral, any ending is impossible, so it just goes on long enough for you to really get the idea then cuts out mid sentence to assure you that there is no end to this spiral (except a sudden, meaningless death [ending mid sentence])
>>
Misogynistic!
>>
The Castle's got a fantastic atmosphere and I really connected with K

The Trial is better by personally I enjoy the Castle more
>>
tough it out OP.
>>
Kafka's writing has always been too dry for me. It makes reading his stories feel like a chore.
>>
>>7805331

I know what you mean but it's not Kafkas fault. His prose doesn't work in translations.

>translation meme.

Yeah I know but it's true in this case.
>>
>>7803653
spoilers ahead, forgot how to do tags

maybe it's because josef k is literally dying in said scene? would it not make sense for the novel to end mid-sentence with a character's death, >>7803653 's answer notwithstanding?
>>
>>7806336
>>7803844
sorry, i meant >>7803844 's answer
>>
>>7806248

>translation meme

Do you really think reading a translation is the same as reading the original? Even Stephen King suffers in translation. That's no "meme"
>>
>>7806381

it's never "the same as reading the original" but there's more or less translateable authors. King works fine in Translation but Kafka doesn't because of his verb placements, it can't be done in English.
>>
>>7803475
>I started reading this and I'm about 40 pages in and so far it's really weird
fuck off pleb read the whole thing than think about it and read it again
this is not r/books to open threads for each page you read
>>
>>7806666
then* ffs
>>
>>7806666

When was the last time you got laid?
>>
>>7806919
samefag:
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/4a7veh/franz_kafka_the_castle_discussion_thread/
>>
>>7803475
I think The Castle is Kafka's best. Unlike Amerika or The Trial, where there was some kind of backstory, and where the efforts done by the main character are somewhat meaningful, inasmuch as they are always striving towards some palpable result, in The Castle we are confronted with Kafka's writing at its most absurd. The main character has no identity, we don't know where he came from, what he does in life (does he even know himself?), and can't really discern any real personality trait. He doesn't know what he is venturing towards, but he still insists in doing so. It's life as the author saw it at its most vicious.
>>
>>7805331
I'm German and, if you're not familiar with his life and work, it's the same for most of the originals.
>>
>>7803475

Probably my favourite Kafka novel, you could argue that The Trial and The Castle are two sides of the same coin, one is about individuality while the other is about community but they both have incredibly heavy themes of religion and worship.

I still think those twins would've ended up turning out to be the mayor's bastard sons or whatever but he was so ashamed of their stupidity he abandoned them.
>>
>>7807051

and how did you find the redd1t thread. You wouldn't be going there yourself wouldn't you?
>>
>>7807243
>most of the originals

Most of Kafka's original stories?
>>
>>7803799
>fuck his dad or something
Lmao what?
Please elaborate
>>
>>7806919
>le salty balls meme
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Franz-Kafka-The-Complete-Stories/dp/0805210555/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
is this translation a good one if i want to get into kafka?
>>
>>7808694
Most translations of Kafka are fine
>>
>>7806248

I like the Portuguese translations well enough. Maybe he is better translated to latin languages?
>>
File: IMG_20160303_203243.jpg (29 KB, 340x325) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160303_203243.jpg
29 KB, 340x325
>>7803475
Does anyone have a theory on why Frieda fell in love with (and left) K so quickly? Or rather, what is the reason behind Kafka's depiction of women and sexuality? Because I noticed a similar thing in the Trial, with women being easily brought to sexuality.

Btw his assistants are the funniest thing in the book
>mfw when they are trying to get into to the school
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.