[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Find a flaw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: italocalvinoifonawinters.jpg (47 KB, 310x475) Image search: [Google]
italocalvinoifonawinters.jpg
47 KB, 310x475
Find a flaw
>>
Female POV/sex scene was awkward and kind of unwarranted. Beginning/ending wide open for bitter memesters who don't enjoy anything

I love the book
>>
Lost more subtle nuances that made the begining half so satisifying as it progressed for the sake of wildly spinning to higher and more ridiculous levels.

Kind of the point, as Calvino's work are just showmanship of playing with narrative structures see: Invisible Cities.
>>
The main plot, despite some interesting characters, is pretty weak. Fantastic book though.
>>
only retards like calvino
>>
>>7803064
This
>>
File: 1417885090385.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1417885090385.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
>>7803053
>HE READS FOR PLOT
>>
File: applewhite.jpg (64 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
applewhite.jpg
64 KB, 700x393
>>7803064
osti
>>
>>7803053
>The main plot, despite some interesting characters, is pretty weak. Fantastic book though.
what the fuck man? That's like saying it's a great ass but it will give you AIDS.
>>
>>7803683
Do you know what the book is about? The main plot is only half of If On A Winter's Night. Its main purpose is as justification for constantly beginning first chapters of different stories and it does that decently well.
>>
honestly the conceit is fucking brilliant and the first few stories are great, and i love the cute second person narrative about you going to bookstore and finding all these book openings and everything works really well, except after a few of them it becomes a bit tiresome and it's all idea and a few of the stories just feel sloppy and boring and the overarching narrative is too slight to keep enough narrative impetus and it ends up being a chore
it's one of his coolest ideas, but honestly i feel like it's one of his weakest books. cosmicomics, invisible cities, mr palomar and marcovaldo were all better imo
>>
>>7803064
shitty bait
>>
>>7802807
too cute, too self aware. couldn't force myself to finish it
>>
>>7803053
>some interesting characters
You mean "you"?
>>
It's based on a rote formula and gets a bit tiring in the last third.
>>
Was novel at first maybe even for the first half of the book. The schtick gets pretty tiring by the end though I was very ready to be finished with it and put it back on the shelf. Probably won't reread ever and hope all Calvino isn't this gimmicky because I'd like to give Invisible Cities a shot still.
>>
I loved it but it got a little too silly and lost the warm dreamy magic feel of the beginning half. I liked the ending though. Overall pretty comfy stuff.
>>
>>7803965
I haven't read Invisible Cities, but I have read Baron in The Trees and Cosmicomics, and I can tell you they are both brilliant.
>>
>>7803965
Invisible cities is more repetitious, but his trio 'Our Ancestors' is good fun.
It also has one of the most romantic descriptions of a woman pissing I've ever read.
>>
>>7804099
In which book? Invisible Cities?
>>
>>7804106
In the non-existent knight.
>>
>>7802807
Thanks for reminding me I have to reread this book OP

>>7803053
>main plot
>"If on a winters night a traveler"

choose one and only one
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.