[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm considering reading this one. What are your thoughts on it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Johny maccarrony.jpg (445 KB, 999x1500) Image search: [Google]
Johny maccarrony.jpg
445 KB, 999x1500
I'm considering reading this one. What are your thoughts on it?
>>
By the looks of it I can already sure it's shit
>>
>>7802764
>I can already sure it's shit

>>7802756
It's trash, but ok.
>>
It's funny, but of no literary merit.
>>
File: infinite_sorrow.png (3 MB, 1456x1692) Image search: [Google]
infinite_sorrow.png
3 MB, 1456x1692
>>7802764
>I can already sure it's shit
>>
Anyone who has read it will tell you it's incredible. Everyone else

>will do this

and dismiss it.

The book is legitimately hilarious and unsettling.
>>
>>7802832
It's thoroughly, thoroughly pomo, so there's at least that...
>>
Ton of fun OP.
The sequel is more even and has a more interesting plot but isn't as unique.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 485x210) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 485x210
>>7802853
The sequel was garbage. The meme analogy was cool, but it was like he took a class on 'how to construct a novel'. The structural insanity of John Dies is part of what made it so fun.
>>
I had an English class with this kid who had some sort of physical disability and we all went around and had to talk about the last book we read and this was his. He was actually pretty animated about it which was surprising because I had a class with him before and he didn't speak at all and he only talked again maybe one or two times after this event for the entire semester. It made me feel weird because I don't think he had a lot of friends (although he had an often inseparable identical twin brother who had the same disability) and I think it's largely from the disability and it's sad because he's probably just a kid like anyone else who enjoys reading but no one really gives him a chance because of a condition that he just happened to be born with.

I have a very strong association with him and this book.
>>
>>7802870
tell him how much of a pleb he is
>>
>>7802756
I like the weird publishing history and structure, it's like 21st century pulp. Not high art or anything, but amusingly batshit.
>>
>>7802756
It captured the vibe of living in a shitty American town pretty well.
>>
Everybody's already said it but it's trash that is occasionally funny enough to justify skimming through
>>
I heard he dies in the end
>>
It's worth reading OP. It's short, funny, and unique in narrative structure. A fun read, in between denser works.
>>
>>7803494
He dies in the beginning but then isn't dead in the next chapter—I never really understood wtf happened.
>>
>>7802756
I found the web version of the book a while ago. And I was hyped up when I found it in a bookstore a few years ago. I thought having two dumbasses for protagonists was novel at the time, so I bought the sequel.

I thought the sequel was less humorous and more awkward with how the plot unfolded around the spider contamination.

But I've enjoyed it. The detective became one of my favorite side characters once I've finished the sequel.
>>
>>7802756

It's legitimately funny, just don't expect anything very deep.
>>
>>7803891

It's the whole analogy of the Axe in the beginning, if you died but made a clone of yourself, do you really die?
>>
>>7802764
>literally judging a book by its cover
/lit/ everyone
>>
>>7804180
He just shows up catatonic in a hospital gown. And they never check his feet...
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.