[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /lit/. I've heard that the best place to start with philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: The Republic.jpg (69 KB, 512x768) Image search: [Google]
The Republic.jpg
69 KB, 512x768
Hi /lit/. I've heard that the best place to start with philosophy is the Greeks, and the most entry-level book of Greek philosophy is Plato's The Republic. I found a copy of C. D. C. Reeve's translation in a used bookstore and bought it. My question for you all: did I fuck up? Is it a quality translation? Is it very readable and understandable? Does it get its points across clearly and succinctly? If it isn't a good translation, what is?

Thanks, everyone.
>>
>>7802373
Reeve's is fine.
>>
You fucked up thinking it's entry level.

You'll probably misread it.
>>
>>7802373
Dude, it realy isn't that hard. Go to Wikipedia, search for "ancient greek philosophy", learn what pre-socratic philosophy is and start with it.

Also, I don't recommend reading original texts. You don't know their intellectual and historical context, thus you'll probably misread them. If you really want to start with basics, read Copleston. It's no shame.
>>
File: 1399127731395.png (386 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
1399127731395.png
386 KB, 667x670
>>7802417
If you just want to be edgy, go on. "Oh... of course I've read Plato" can be a pretty good pussy magnet. But don't think it'll make you an intellectualist.
>>
>>7802385
Agreed, you have to be mad thinking the most discussed book in the history of mankind is easily digestive.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.