[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, who are the best English translators of the following
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (15 KB, 447x329) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15 KB, 447x329
Hey /lit/, who are the best English translators of the following books?
>The Brothers Karamazov
>Crime and Punishment
>The Idiot
>Notes from Underground
>>
translations are a meme you dip
>>
>>7802106
As in, that there is any recognisable or substantial difference between translators? Or that reading books in any language beside the original is a waste of time?

If the latter, what languages do you speak?
>>
>>7802106
Waterever you ugly cunt.
>>
>>7802088
Avsey for the Idiot.
>>
>>7802088
>brothers karamazov
matlaw/garnett
>crime and punishment
coulson
>the idiot
brailovsky/garnett
>notes
matlaw/garnett
>>
Nabokov claims Garnett's translations are trash. That's all I know.
>>
>>7802284
Verified trash.
>>
>>7802298
thanks for your opinion and not posting your own picks for OP
>>
>>7802300
Okay here I go:

>>7802088
For definitive Dostoevsky translation either go with McDuff (new feels) or Magarshack (old feels) or Avsey. Also, stay the fuck away from P&V and Garnett.
>>
Garnett's translation of the Idiot is pure wank, totally incoherent at times.

I have Andrew MacAndrew's verion of the Brothers Karamazov and that had much more flow to it.
>>
why do people hate P&V so much on this board?
>>
>>7802088
A lot of people here have read C&P years ago, so they don't know about the newest translation of Oliver Ready.

I highly recommend it - it's by far the best.
>>
>>7802556
You haven't read the article on them I suppose. Someone post that article.
>>
>>7802556
might as well just slap it into google translate if you are willing to go that far
>>
>>7802556
not that I have a strong opinion one way or the other, but this entire site is littered with contrarians so whatever is prevailing or popular in the culture is going to be called shit here.

their translation also just might be bad
>>
>>7802088

>>The Brothers Karamazov
* David Magarshack: an older translation that's more careful and accurate than Constance Garnett but that has a more vintage style like hers
* Ralph Matlaw's revision of Garnett: fixes many of the problems with her work
* Andrew MacAndrew: a fairly free translation, but faithful to the spirit of the work
* David McDuff: a well-regarded fairly recent translation
* Ignat Avsey (titled The Karamazov Brothers): another good recent translation (Avsey taught Russian lit and focused his translation work exclusively on Dostoyevsky)

>>Crime and Punishment
* Magarshack
* McDuff
* Oliver Ready: a recent translation; I haven't looked at it much, but it's highly regarded

>>The Idiot
* Magarshack
* McDuff
* Avsey

>>Notes from Underground
I have a litmus test for this one actually, since it's simple and yet significant since it serves right at the start as a key to interpretation for the book and for the nature of the Underground Man. The first sentence reads 'I am a sick man ... I am a _____ man.' The word that fills in the blank determines whether a primarily psychological/sociological view is in mind, or a religious/spiritual one. A good translation is going to go with the former and use a word like 'spiteful'; one that misses this point will use something like 'wicked' or 'evil'. These seem to be alright:
* (I believe) Matlaw has revised Garnett's version of this as well
* Mirra Ginsburg
* McDuff
* Jane Kentish (recent; Oxford World Classics)
* (maybe) Michael Katz (although I'd have to look into it further)
>>
>>7802774

Here's an addendum for Notes from Underground; I think I would add MacAndrew to the list above.
https://natasharandall.wordpress.com/
>>
Seems the question has been basically answered so I'm hijacking your thread OP

Who is the best translator for reading Marx? I guess specifically, Das Kapital and the Communist Manifesto.
>>
>>7802941
Someone please respond to this!
>>
I'm hijacking this thread, are the Oxford's World Classics editions of C&P, Brothers Karamazov, War & Peace and Anna Karenina any good? Quality paper, quality translations? They seem to be cheaper than the P&V translations but I don't know much about english translations.
>inb4 memes
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.