[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Some tips for my Kickstarter campaign for my novel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: KickStarterBanner.png (835 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
KickStarterBanner.png
835 KB, 1024x768
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/773549353/el-dorado-a-tale-of-the-nuclear-apocalypse

Here's a link.

Can you guys tell me how I can make it better? Or how I can garner more supporters to back my project up? Also if you guys want to check my novel out, there should be a link. Thanks guys.
>>
File: 1457482236111.gif (516 KB, 1100x1500) Image search: [Google]
1457482236111.gif
516 KB, 1100x1500
>post-apocalyptic novels
Overrated as fuck.
>>
>>7801230

Well you got anything that I could use constructively then?
>>
Maybe add some zombies
>>
>>7801218
Well, there's no pitch, so that's not gonna help you.

Also I have no idea why you need to raise money on kickstarter to write a fucking book. Just open Word and get to it.
>>
fookin grotty mate
>>
>>7801272

Well I'm writing a book as we speak but I got to pay for an editor and a publisher, plus promotion is gonna be a bitch.
>>
File: 1457483898434.gif (9 KB, 138x164) Image search: [Google]
1457483898434.gif
9 KB, 138x164
>>7801237
Develop originality or something.
>>
>>7801293

I mean... Sigh. Fuck. I put my heart and soul into this book and I been writing it for two years now. I tried to make my book as unique as possible.
>>
File: 1447464198348.jpg (61 KB, 895x944) Image search: [Google]
1447464198348.jpg
61 KB, 895x944
>>7801311
sucks 2 b u
>>
>>7801290
I don't know how much either of those things would cost, but I would assume it would be more practical to pay for them from money earned from whatever your main income is.

But to directly answer your question, it's really hard to advertise a book on kickstarter because not only do most people not give a shit, but there is already more quality literature out there than most people have the time to read. There is no demand for what you're trying to sell, so your best bet is creating the illusion of that demand.

First off, you need to have serious chops. The only way someone will look at your campaign and WANT to help you finish your book is if they read the first few sentences and are blown the fuck away.

Second, you might want a video-type pitch like alot of film campaigns have. One where you directly explain to people why you believe your work is important and they should give you their hard earned money.

That's the best I can do in terms of practical advice. But to be honest, I've never heard of a successful novel becoming a reality thanks to kickstarter. I think your best bet is just working on writing the best fucking book you can write, and earning money through other means so that you can continue honing your craft.
>>
>>7801311
Join the club. The best you can do is finish it and try and get it out there. If nothing bites, eat your pain and try again and do better.
>>
>>7801311
you don't have to make your work better. you need to leave 4chan.
>>
File: rbt22.jpg (11 KB, 169x204) Image search: [Google]
rbt22.jpg
11 KB, 169x204
> I was inspired by books like 1984, Brave New World, Animal Farm, and Anthem

Eeeeh, I don't know man, post an extract and if I like it I'll donate $10.
>>
>>7801354

This is from Chapter 12.

"Edgar saw it through his eyelids, in the corner of his eye. A piercing white light, a holy light, that shined brighter than any star or candle. It was a magnificent. He could feel the heat emitting from the light, as it continually got stronger, and brighter. A loud eruption exploded in the distance that could only be compared to the sound of one thousand cannons going off at the same time only to be followed by a piercing silence that could only be broken by the sounds of screams and the sound of an air siren going off.

"I CAN'T SEE! I CAN'T FUCKING SEE!" A male student yelled in the classroom among the screams in the classroom.

"OH GOD! I'M BLIND! I'M BLIND!" A female student yelled as well.

The hysteria was unimaginable as they all shrieked of pain, and the sound of vomiting was heard from around the classroom. Their is a rumored belief that one cannot look upon God with mortal eyes or hear the voice of God with mortal ears, for the righteousness of the lord is too great for normal human. They say you'll go blind and deaf. Is that what happened? Had God finally launched his wrath at humanity? Or maybe this was the beginning of a new flood, but not of water, but of fire. A cleansing fire meant to cleanse the Earth once again. To start a new Genesis in the new chapter of life of the planet. Everything was not ok, everything and everyone was not good. It was only a matter of time and everyone knew it. Humanity had been straying away too far from the righteous path for the longest time and this was truly divine intervention, this was rapture."
>>
The grammar isn't gonna be perfect. I haven't revised that far.
>>
>>7801329
this guy's got it
>>
why the FUCK do you need a kickstarter to write a novel

omg this generation actually has the worst people
>>
>>7801378
>omg this generation actually has the worst people
Get off 4chan and get some perspective, grandpa
>>
>>7801363
I cant tell if this is a joke. You're a genius either way.
>>
>>7801391

I don't know how to feel about that.
>>
>>7801378
This. Kickstarters are fucking cancer. Get a job you lazy fucks
>>
>>7801363
Look, I commend your bravery. By actually writing a book you've come further than most of us. But before the success you're aiming for becomes realistic, you really need to work on your skills a little.

1. When describing stuff, avoid superlatives. "Holy", "magnificent", these won't help put your readers into the shoes of your characters.

2. I'm personally against using allcaps in the way you used it. Intuitively a writer might assume it creates the impression of vocal intensity, but it doesn't always work that way. The times when allcaps does work, it's used for different reasons and the effects are varied and nuanced.

I'm not trying to shit on you, or call you a no-talent failure, or persuade you to give up your dream. But I think your problem is you're not being realistic. You don't seem to be aware of how little money there is to be made in writing novels. Most of them can't rely on it to make a living, even if they're really good. I think you should worry less about this dream of yours (of which you've made the common mistake of putting all your eggs in one basket) becoming a financial success and think of it more in terms of a step in your journey to become the best writer you can be.
>>
>>7801363
>saw it through his eyelids, in the corner of his eye
no. fix this.

>it was a magnificent
no. fix this.

>a loud eruption exploded
>eruption exploded
no. fix this.

>one thousand cannons going off at the same time
not necessary to add "at the same time"
also, find something different than "going off"

>followed by a piercing silence
you already used piercing earlier when you described the white light. find a different word.

>a male student yelled in the classroom among the screams in the classroom
you could rewrite this and use more imagination.

>a female student yelled as well
again, rewrite this and use more imagination

when people are dying and in pain, are they actually screaming words and making declarations of the moments they suffer in? wouldn't it just be babble? or primordial shrieks or some shit?

>their
no. fix this.

your last paragraph which concludes that it's a rapture, i mean, you could reword some things and what not.

i think you need to read more and improve your vocabulary, sentence formation and most importantly, setting up your descriptions with some originality.

I am helping you, don't take this personal. You're already willing to attempt a novel, so in time, you will be ready and ripe.
>>
lmao
>>
>>7801218
Proofread your description
>>
>>7801468

No I appreciate it. I would hire you as an editor if I could. I need this.
>>
>>7801363
>emitting
emanating

>Their
there

holy lol tho tbqh
>>
>>7801363
>a piercing silence that could only be broken by the sounds of screams and the sound of an air siren going off.
Reword this so you don't use sound twice. Generally try to avoid using words again so close together unless there is a good reason.
>A male student yelled in the classroom among the screams in the classroom.
Same thing, sort of. Using the word classroom twice makes it sound bad, but just hearing the male student yell among the screams sounds strange. If you insist on keeping this I would reword it like "A male student yelled, among the other screams in the classroom." Or "A male student yelled over the other screams in the classroom."
>a rumored belief
This sounds strange.
>A cleansing fire meant to cleanse the Earth once again
Same thing as before with cleansing and cleanse
>new Genesis in the new chapter of life
New and new
>>7801468
I agree with this as well.

You also need to put a PDFs up on Kickstarter, something that will hook people. Maybe something that will establish a character for people to grab onto.
Good luck m8.
>>
>>7801559

Thank you for your criticism.
>>
>To not publish book would be like to not show the world the horrors of we could become.

Honestly dude it sounds like you're at a 10th grade reading level and I can't imagine how much of a mess 200+ pages of this would be. Your prose might still be better than Ayn Rand's though lol
>>
>>7801682

lmao sorry I wrote the last paragraph in the description too fast.
>>
it seems like you don't understand the publishing business. authors are considered successful if they earn out their $6k advance from a traditional publisher who "promotes" their book by having the author do a lot of that work. you can not count on your first book being the next hunger games.
>>
>>7801772

I'm not going to be a career author but it's a book I worked hard in making and I would like to see be published. I have no expectations of becoming the next Hunger Games, I just want it to be out there.
>>
>>7801363
>a cleansing fire meant to cleanse
>in the classroom among screams in the classroom
Bro...
>>
>>7801218
get a designer
stop ripping off videogames and movies
>>
>>7801785

a designer?
>>
>>7801779
if you just want it out there, you can self pub on amazon or smashwords for like nothing, charge as little as you want or make it free.
>>
>>7801799
Like a graphic designer, to make a banner that isn't fugly and filled with jpg artifacts
>>
>>7801218
OP, I have two books on the kindle store, both of them free. One has about 20 downloads (released a few days ago) and the other around 100 (released about a month ago). They both have favourable reviews on GoodReads and I am happy for the criticism. I'm not really bothered about how many copies get distributed so I haven't put a lot of effort into it; this is mainly from sharing on facebook. But, if you really wanted to garner a big reading you can make it free and shill it on reddit, at your uni book club or somewhere else like that.

All the best, I can answer questions when I get home but Amazon has a pretty decent guide to self-publication
>>
Should I just give up on my kickstarter than guys?
>>
>>7801445
>putting the reader into the shoes of the character

who are you? john green?
>>
File: 1452798493658.jpg (55 KB, 269x269) Image search: [Google]
1452798493658.jpg
55 KB, 269x269
>>7801855
>than
>>
>>7801855
>than
BRO
>>
>>7801855
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/773549353/el-dorado-a-tale-of-the-nuclear-apocalypse
I would go down the Amazon route, spread it through the internet and if that works out then try the kickstarter again to try and it get it published.

>>7801868
>>7801870
>Hurr durr typo
>>
File: 1452561351428.jpg (440 KB, 1353x1014) Image search: [Google]
1452561351428.jpg
440 KB, 1353x1014
>>7801871
>try and it get it published.
>and it get
>>
>>7801871

Sounds honest. I mean do you think the book has potential? I do, but I want other people to see that it does too. I'm not fantastic with grammar, I know. I'm typing really fast so there is going to be lots of typos but I really would like to know if this is actually gonna go somewhere.
>>
>>7801883
I think it has potential. If two years ago someone had told me The Martian would be as big as it was I would have been very doubtful. I think you just have to be in the right place at the right time. You say in your bio that you love writing so why the hell not? Even if it doesn't pan out that well you won't have lost anything.
"The journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step"
Think of this book as your step towards something else. You may gain a small following with this one and you can kickstart that next one and you might be able to afford an editor. Who knows where that one will go?
>>
>>7801898

Thank you for being so honest and motivational. This book, whether it gets funded or not, will be a testament to creating something bigger than myself. If no one reads it, than at least I can say I wrote something in my life. I think that's good enough for me.
>>
$10,000 is probably a bit more than you can expect if you don't get this out there somehow.
definitely advertise somewhere, and post on Reddit a lot if you want this to be successful.
>>
>>7801914
As someone said earlier, you've already gotten further than a good majority of this board by at least starting. Godspeed Michael

But seriously shill on reddit as much as you can, I think they're a better audience than you will find here
>>
>>7801925

Thanks, I'll try my luck there ;)
>>
>>7801218
you look like a nu-male
>>
>>7801925
>you've already gotten further than a good majority of this board by at least starting.

this might be true if he had actually finished

instead he is begging for money under the paltry excuse of an unfinished book, which places him far, far below than the majority of the board
>>
>>7801988
Link to your book please?
>>
http://w.tt/1Liwgto Your gonna have to make an account if you don't have one already. It's fairly easy.
>>
Literacy for everyone was a mistake.
>>
>>7803190

What do you mean?
>>
>>7802565
I hope this is a rough draft. You definitely need an editor to clean up your prose.
>>
>>7803332

Yes the only revised chapter is the first
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.