[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I reckon you guys are here, to a part at least, not complete
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 20080310-foreign%20freinds8[1].jpg (24 KB, 380x186) Image search: [Google]
20080310-foreign%20freinds8[1].jpg
24 KB, 380x186
I reckon you guys are here, to a part at least, not completely American. So what do you hold of this here map of world's best books with one for each and every country in the world? Has yours been represented well?

ideas.ted.com/your-guide-to-reading-the-world/
>>
>>7800596
not france
>>
The map doesn't seem to understand that England, Scotland and Wales are separate countries or that it's inappropriate to use a book set in Wales, by a Welsh person, to represent England. I've also never heard of the book or author.

The whole idea is absurd, nobody has time to read enough books written in all 196 countries to have any grounding to say which best represents that country, or the best of its literature.
>>
>Ireland
>Ulysses
bet she listens to U2 as well. awful
>>
The only American author represented is a Britbong. Definitely not fair representation.
>>
>>7800621
Britain is more or less the same all over.

There's no cultural difference between a North Scottish guy and a southern Welsh guy like there is in a cultural country like the US.
>>
>>7800596
I see no indication of even an implicit claim that these are the best books their countries have to offer.
>>
>>7800651
It does say "your reading guide". Is YOUR reading list garbage?
>>
>>7800596
>united states
>an englishman

i got what i deserved for expecting something from a woman
>>
>>7800638
Id assume this is a troll, but I can imagine Americans actually believing this
>>
File: 1399314111896.png (346 KB, 446x406) Image search: [Google]
1399314111896.png
346 KB, 446x406
>seven years in tibet
>lichtenstein
>>
>>7800621
They aren't sovereign states, though.

>>7800596
Those are just recommendations and things that caught her attention and were available to read.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (79 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
79 KB, 960x720
>>7800911
there are lamas in liechrenstein. too
>>
From what I can tell from European authors most of these are literally whos (except for Joyce and Hamsun). Which doesn't mean they're bad, but it's not she read a representative body of work of world literature.
>>
>Being a Lithuanian
>'best' book is an anthology (first time seeing this) of contemporary women writers which include some of the most unoriginal authors.
>but why.
>>
Too Loud A Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal sounds about right, but I always thought that Hrabal was more known here and Kundera was the one more known and popular in foreign countries. I expected The Unbearable Lightness Of Being
>>
>>7802380
For Russia she's got Solzhenitsyn. I guess she didn't chose Brodsky because it's no Brodskiautis and she didn't chose any of the great national authors because they did, or would have, served in pic related.

>>7802388
Hrabal is very popular with Silesian and Moravian Germans (German German speaking); This is where a "Chelsea Cutlet" will have picked him up.
>>
>>7802380
It's not supposed to be the best.
>>
File: marin-preda-114400l-poza.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
marin-preda-114400l-poza.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>Romania
>>Some obscure contemporary writer
>> not Marin Preda

absolutdezgustator.tiff
>>
why all these shit contemporary writers
>>
>>7800596
>Poland
>some uknown broad and her crime stories
I guess that Milosz, Schulz, Mickiewicz, Tokarczuk and Kapuscinski went out of style or something.
>>
>>7800630
James Joyce is nothing more than a late project of imperial patronism...he's more musty than the Greeks he's referencing.
>>
All the Lights by Clemens Meyer for Germany. Never heard of that, bitch should've read Mann.
>>
>>7800911
>>7802380
>>7802431
>>7802458
>>7802454
>>7802479
I guess this is what happens when you ask for 'recommendations from locals [plebs], which came pouring in after she made an open plea on her blog'. Interesting idea, shit outcome
>>
>America isn't Moby Dick
Triggered
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.