[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is suffering good for you if it results in novel thought? (where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: taste_007_st_sebastian.jpg (699 KB, 2153x3085) Image search: [Google]
taste_007_st_sebastian.jpg
699 KB, 2153x3085
Is suffering good for you if it results in novel thought?

(where novel == new to you)
>>
All suffering is :good:
>>
>>7797475
why this paint makes me so hard
>>
File: 1434569445435.jpg (192 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
1434569445435.jpg
192 KB, 1067x1600
>>7797491
Androgyny and so on.
>>
You put my heart at ease.
>>
suffering is reality. if you can accept it you will have an easier time in life
>>
>>7797495
I love how he has the balls to wear the cross of Jesus
>>
>>7797581
Jesus loves him.
But he still makes Jesus wear a condom.
>>
>>7797491
A soft yet muscular body being penetrated resulting in a sort of twisted joy in the young man's expression, Mishima San.
>>
>>7797581
He's wearing it so Jesus can protect his boipussi from horny gopniks
>>
>>7797491
Those child-bearing hips.
>>
>>7797491
get back in your grave yukio
>>
>>7797475
No. You don't need novel thoughts unless you are suffering.
>>
>>7797581
You're retarded then.
>>
File: yamamoto st sebastian.jpg (410 KB, 1019x1600) Image search: [Google]
yamamoto st sebastian.jpg
410 KB, 1019x1600
why is st sebastian so eroticised?
>>
>>7797475
everything is material for writing, directly or not.
>>
>>7797475
Suffering is good but one shouldn't seek (emotional or physical) pain in order to improve.
>>
>>7799485
Naked young body and joyful penetration.
>>
>>7797475
>==
>>>/g/
>>
>>7799485
because mishima
>>
>>7800026
This isn't completely true. In Confessions of a Mask he actually says he read about how the gays commonly sexualize him, I don't remember the source given in the book though.
>>
>>7799485
Even Oscar Wilde found him erotic. Who knows where it started.
>>
>>7797475
i always write when i suffer, honestly i dont even feel need for writing when i dont suffer
>>
>>7799535
Why shouldn't one seek suffering, which is good, then?
>>
>>7800372
Because it's self-destructive. Embrace suffering only when it comes to you.
>>
File: 1449699627121.jpg (236 KB, 1167x778) Image search: [Google]
1449699627121.jpg
236 KB, 1167x778
>>7797581
I think it's more of an aesthetic choice than anything else.
>>
> `Deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Me.'(Matt. 16:24) To many this saying of Jesus seems hard. But how much harder will it be to hear that word of doom, `Depart from Me, you cursed, into everlasting fire'. (Matt.25:41) For those who now cheerfully hear and obey the word of the Cross (I Cor. 1:18) will not tremble to hear the sentence of eternal damnation. The sign of the Cross will appear in the heavens, when Our Lord comes as judge. Then will all the servants of the Cross-, who in their lives conformed themselves to the Crucified, (Rom 8:29) stand with confidence before Christ, their judge.

> Why, then, do you fear to take up the Cross-, which is the road to the Kingdom? In the Cross is salvation; in the Cross is life; in the Cross is protection against our enemies; in the Cross is infusion of heavenly sweetness; in the Cross is strength of mind; in the Cross is joy of spirit; in the Cross is excellence of virtue; in the Cross is perfection of holiness. There is no salvation of soul, nor hope of eternal life, save in the Cross. Take up the Cross-, therefore, and follow Jesus, (Matt. 16:24) and go forward into eternal life. (Matt.25:46) Christ has gone before you, bearing His Cross; (John 19:17) He died for you on the Cross, that you also may bear your cross, and desire to die on the cross with Him. For if you die with Him, you will also live with Him. (Rom 6:8) And if you share His sufferings, you will also share His glory.

> See how in the Cross all things consist, and in dying on it all things depend. There is no other way to life and to true inner peace, than the way of the Cross and of daily self-denial. Go where you will, seek what you will; you will find no higher way above or safer way below than the road of the Holy Cross. Arrange and order all things to your own ideas and wishes, yet you will still find suffering to endure, whether you will or not; so you will always find the Cross. For you will either endure bodily pain, or suffer anguish of mind and spirit.

> At times, God will withdraw from you; at times you will be troubled by your neighbor, and, what is more, you will often be a burden to yourself. Neither can any remedy or comfort bring you relief, but you must bear it as long as God wills. For God desires that you learn to bear trials without comfort, that you may yield yourself wholly to Him, and grow more humble through tribulation. No man feels so deeply in his heart the Passion of Christ as he who has to suffer in like manner. The Cross always stands ready, and everywhere awaits you. You cannot escape it, wherever you flee; for wherever you go, you bear yourself, and always find yourself. Look up or down, without you or within, and everywhere you will find the Cross. And everywhere you must have patience, if you wish to attain inner peace, and win an eternal crown.
>>
>>7801287

> You have here no lasting home. You are a stranger and a pilgrim wherever you may be, and you shall have no rest until you are wholly united with Christ.

> Why do you look about here when this is not the place of your repose? Dwell rather upon heaven and give but a passing glance to all earthly things. They all pass away, and you together with them. Take care, then, that you do not cling to them lest you be entrapped and perish. Fix your mind on the Most High, and pray unceasingly to Christ.

> If you do not know how to meditate on heavenly things, direct your thoughts to Christ's passion and willingly behold His sacred wounds. If you turn devoutly to the wounds and precious stigmata of Christ, you will find great comfort in suffering, you will mind but little the scorn of men, and you will easily bear their slanderous talk.

> When Christ was in the world, He was despised by men; in the hour of need He was forsaken by acquaintances and left by friends to the depths of scorn. He was willing to suffer and to be despised; do you dare to complain of anything? He had enemies and defamers; do you want everyone to be your friend, your benefactor? How can your patience be rewarded if no adversity test it? How can you be a friend of Christ if you are not willing to suffer any hardship? Suffer with Christ and for Christ if you wish to reign with Him.

> Had you but once entered into perfect communion with Jesus or tasted a little of His ardent love, you would care nothing at all for your own comfort or discomfort but would rejoice in the reproach you suffer; for love of Him makes a man despise himself.

> A man who is a lover of Jesus and of truth, a truly interior man who is free from uncontrolled affections, can turn to God at will and rise above himself to enjoy spiritual peace.

> He who tastes life as it really is, not as men say or think it is, is indeed wise with the wisdom of God rather than of men.
>>
>>7801296

> You are greatly mistaken if you look for anything save to endure trials, for all this mortal life is full of troubles, (Job 14:1) and everywhere marked with crosses. The further a man advances in the spiritual life, the heavier and more numerous he finds the crosses, for his ever-deepening love of God makes more bitter the sorrows of his earthly exile.

> Yet a man who is afflicted in many ways is not without solace and comfort, for he perceives the great benefit to be reaped from the bearing of his cross. For while he bears it with a good will, the whole burden is changed into hope of God's comfort. And the more the body is subdued by affliction, the more is the spirit strengthened by grace within. Sometimes he is so greatly comforted by the desire to suffer adversity for love of conforming to the Cross of Christ, that he would not wish to be without grief and pain; (2 Cor. 4:10) for he knows that the more he can suffer for His sake, the more pleasing he will be to God. This desire does not spring from man's own strength, but from the grace of Christ, which can and does effect such great things in the frail frame of man; so that which nature fears and avoids, he boldly meets and loves through ardor of spirit.

> Man is not by nature inclined to carry the cross, to love the cross, to chasten the body, and bring it into subjection; (I Cor. 9:27) to refuse honors, to submit to insults with goodwill, to despise himself and welcome disparagement; to bear all adversity and loss, and to desire no kind of prosperity in this world. And if you trust in your own strength, you will be unable to achieve any of these things. But if you trust in the Lord, you will be given strength from Heaven, and the world and the flesh will become subject to your will. Neither will you fear your enemy the Devil, if you are armed with faith and signed with the Cross of Christ.

> Resolve, then, as a good and faithful servant of Christ, manfully to bear the cross of your Lord, who was crucified for love of you. Prepare yourself to endure many trials and obstacles in this vale of tears; for such will be your lot wherever you are, and you will encounter them wherever you conceal yourself. It must needs be so; nor is there any remedy or means of escape from ills and grief s; you must endure them. Drink lovingly the cup of your Lord, (Matt. 20:23) if you wish to be His friend, and to share all with Him. Leave consolations to God, to dispose as He wills. But set yourself to endure trials, regarding them as the greatest of all comforts, `for the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory to come', (Rom. 8:18) even though you alone were to endure them all.
>>
File: oneinchrist.jpg (78 KB, 572x599) Image search: [Google]
oneinchrist.jpg
78 KB, 572x599
>>7801310

> When you have arrived at that state when trouble seems sweet and acceptable to you for Christ's sake, then all is well with you, for you have hound paradise upon earth. But so long as suffering is grievous to you and you seek to escape it, so long will it go ill with you, for the trouble you try to escape will pursue you everywhere.

> If you steel yourself -, as you must - to suffer and to die, all will go better with you, and you will find peace. For although, like Saint Paul, you were `caught up into the third heaven',(2 Cor. 12:4) you would not on this account be secured against suffering further adversity. For Jesus says, `I will show him how great things he must suffer for My Name.'(Acts 9:16) Therefore, be prepared to suffer, if you wish to love Jesus and serve Him forever.

> Oh, if only you were worthy to suffer for the Name of Jesus! How great and enduring a glory would be yours! How great would be the joy of the Saints of God! How edified your friends would be! For all men commend patience, although few are willing to suffer. It is right that you should suffer a little for the sake of Christ, since many suffer greater things for worldly motives.

> Be assured of this, that you must live a dying life. And the more completely a man dies to self, the more he begins to live to God. (Rom. 6:9 ) No man is fit to understand heavenly things, unless he is resigned to bear hardships for Christ's sake. Nothing is more acceptable to God, and nothing more salutary for you, than to suffer gladly for Christ's sake. And if it lies in your choice, you should choose rather to suffer hardships for Christ's sake, than to be refreshed by many consolations; for thus you will more closely resemble Christ and all His Saints. For our merit and spiritual progress does not consist in enjoying such sweetness and consolation, but rather in the bearing of great burdens and troubles.

> Had there been a better way, more profitable to the salvation of mankind than suffering, then Christ would have revealed it in His word and life. But He clearly urges both His own disciples and all who wish to follow Him to carry the cross, saying, `If any will come after Me, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow Me.'(Mark 8:34) Therefore, when we have read and studied all things, let thus be our final resolve: 'that through much tribulation we must enter the Kingdom of God.'(Acts 14:22)
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.