[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys I really want to start reading more books. I feel like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: books.jpg (80 KB, 660x440) Image search: [Google]
books.jpg
80 KB, 660x440
Hey guys I really want to start reading more books. I feel like spending an hour or 2 a day reading will really benefit me. I know this is a broad question and difficult to answer, but what are some of your favorite books? I just started 1984 and eyeing catch 22 when I'm done.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1396x1852) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1396x1852
>>7796370
This is a pretty good starting point.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1100x1800) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1100x1800
>>7796370
If you end up liking catch 22 you can go down this road as well.
>>
>>7796383
this, but skip the bottom row, and read Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow, and The Sound and the Fury instead
>>
pepewithcurvedface.jpg
>>
What kind of books do you want to read
>>
one hundred years of solitude and requiem for a dream are two of my favourites - i only started reading proper literature recently, so they're not overly difficult. i'm currently reading 2666 and really enjoying it, it's quite a tome though.

lit charts are also good ways to find good books - the two already posted here are nice examples IMO.
>>
>>7796431
That's a good question. I'm open to a lot of genres to be honest. Plots such as apocalyptic, horror/thriller and fantasy come to mind.
>>
>>7796449
Perhaps you'd enjoy Lovecraft
>>
>>7796383
>>7796386
>>7796404
>>7796445
>>7796506
Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at them.
>>
How much knowledge of philosophy is required to really get into literature?
>>
>>7796755
the more knowledge the more interesting it gets
>>
>>7796404
This, except for The Tunnel. It's on the bottom row but it is so worth it
>>
>>7796449
Don't read that shit until you start getting into reading hardcore, otherwise you'll probably get bored and throw them out.

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King was pretty good
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a quick one
The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy
Tick Tock by Dean Koontz was actually pretty good from an author who normally isn't from what I remember
>>
>>7796383
is Lolita really entry level? that's a pretty hard read if you're paying atention, unless I am just retarded
>>
>>7798529
Stephen King sounds like he would be right up my alley. I'll give dream catcher a look. Any others you'd suggest written by him?
>>
The Lord of the Rings is probably my favourite book. I've read it every year or so since I was 12. Don't care if /lit/ thinks it's pleb.
>>
>>7798529
the girl with the dragon tattoo is fucking diabolical, definitely not something i'd recommend since it's banal as fuck
>>
I also wish to read novels more than I do on average.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.